NBC Updates the Peacock.

Superdude

46 minutes ago, Joey1986 said:

I agree with @MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie, who isn’t harming anyone. When people post these types of things, it’s not like the sky is falling.

Everything in moderation, including moderation. Take a chill pill.

It's 28° where I am. I'm already chilled enough.

Too many folks take the opportunity to pile on with that kind of stuff, making up speculative demos, showing what their home stations would look like. And you're right, a few are fine, but there's enough of a track record for me to know that if I checked back a few hours later, there probably would've been a dozen more. I only meant it as a casual reminder to all.

• Like 9

On 12/18/2022 at 6:03 PM, tjt24 said:

I get where you're coming from, but some station logos should never be changed. Ever.

I am not trying to be snarky in asking this, but what makes a station logo “unchangeable”? And why should we hold a television station to unrealistic standards when practically every other business in existence either refreshes or redesigns their logos or branding every X years?

Stations logos and network logos are meant to be changed and to adapt with the times. NBC and ABC did what they did for practical and functional reasons. CBS **finally** adopted a design standard among the network and O&Os for the same reason. WKYC debuted their current logo—which is above and beyond the garbled mess that their prior logo became—for the same reason. Change can hold promise and potential.

When WOIO rebranded as “19 News” in 2019, then-GM Erik Schrader said"we have to stand out. Action News was an effective brand for its time, but time moved on and we had to move on, too. And tastes will change. As much as I like this brand (19 News), it probably will eventually change."

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

When WOIO rebranded as “19 News” in 2019, then-GM Erik Schrader said"we have to stand out. Action News was an effective brand for its time, but time moved on and we had to move on, too. And tastes will change. As much as I like this brand (19 News), it probably will eventually change."

How about changing 19 News to (CBS) 19 Eyewitness News.

45 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

How about changing 19 News to (CBS) 19 Eyewitness News.

Missing the point. "Action News" and "Eyewitness News" are extremely dated brands, and are more or less cliché at this point. It's nearly 2023, it's time to find new ways of branding local news outside of two 60's era news formats. The formats themselves are barely even used anymore. I sure don't notice any difference between an "Action" or "Eyewitness" newscast and... every other newscast out there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

WKYC debuted their current logo—which is above and beyond the garbled mess that their prior logo became—for the same reason. Change can hold promise and potential.

Another noteworthy example is when WXIA debuted their new logo and this forum attacked it harshly. The 1993-debuted serif 11 with the blue boxes needed to go, it didn't fit the design language of neither the G3 graphics package nor the current TEGNA package. Plus, it was a change in direction for 11Alive; you could tell they wanted to target more urban, more city and more underserved neighborhoods, and be more activist journalism. Where Atlanta Speaks isn't just a slogan, that is a philosophy. Theoretically, this format is a modern day Action News or Eyewitness News, in that it is intended to be different than what the other stations are putting out. The problem is that their target audience isn't watching the local news.

But, back to the logo, it definitely is not as inspired of a design as the 1993 logo, but it holds up really well given the autonomy that WXIA has been given to modify their graphics and opens to take advantage of the 11 shape. They couldn't have done any of that with the 1993 logo. That 11 can be scaled up, scaled down, and people would still recognize it. Honestly, it did what it was meant to do.

And as far as still branding as "11Alive," they learned in 1993 that if you have a unique brand, don't fix it. Don't break it. It makes them stand out from every other "Channel 11" out there, it's been tested and futureproofed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

I am not trying to be snarky in asking this, but what makes a station logo “unchangeable”? And why should we hold a television station to unrealistic standards when practically every other business in existence either refreshes or redesigns their logos or branding every X years?

I didn't mean like a refresh. Those are acceptable, especially when they're done right. I was talking about complete overhauls that just don't look good. You brought up WKYC, and while their current logo still doesn't look great, it looks better with the current graphics package. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Weeters said:

Missing the point. "Action News" and "Eyewitness News" are extremely dated brands, and are more or less cliché at this point. It's nearly 2023, it's time to find new ways of branding local news outside of two 60's era news formats. The formats themselves are barely even used anymore. I sure don't notice any difference between an "Action" or "Eyewitness" newscast and... every other newscast out there.

Even in the 1980s there was minimal difference between the two brands. Look at Bill Bonds at WXYZ with Action News, and it was basically all centered around Bill Bonds and his on-air presence. Ditto with Irv Weinstein at WKBW; they used the EWN name but it wasn't anywhere close to the Al Primo EWN. The brands were never uniformly applied and mean different things to different people. @HulkieD has brought up how CapCities slowly (even if unintentionally) morphed WABC into... if not a Xerox of WPVI, then obviously a station with WPVI's Action News in its' blood. It still used the EWN name, but it wasn't the EWN pre-1986.

WOIO's usage of Action News is mostly associated with the "last-place, last-chance news" uber-populist format that Bill Applegate---the same person who presided over WABC's late-80s changes---put in, almost out of desperation by Raycom, having admitted to overpaying for WOIO/WUAB when they bought out Malrite. It is a tainted brand in the market. EWN means nothing in Cleveland and hasn't meant anything since WEWS gave it up in 1990, and even then, NewsChannel 5 meant nothing when they gave it up a few years ago, aside from people likely confusing WEWS with WPTV on social media. If WOIO used EWN, it would feel tacked on and meaningless. (Yes, channel 3, then KYW-TV, originated EWN from 1959 to 1965 but it predated Al Primo or even Westinghouse's full treatment of the brand. Because of the passage of time, few are alive to actually remember when it debuted in Cleveland.)

It actually says a lot that none of the stations in Cleveland have a so-called "brand" for their newscasts: 3 News, News 5, Fox 8 News and 19 News. But does it matter? I'm from Cleveland and I can tell the four news operations apart fairly easily.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 7

On 12/21/2022 at 8:53 PM, Joey1986 said:

I agree with @MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie, who isn’t harming anyone. When people post these types of things, it’s not like the sky is falling.

Everything in moderation, including moderation. Take a chill pill.

I stand by my post. End of story.  I was merely putting my two cents worth in..  I wasn't meaning to start an "affiliate-by-affiliate thread".  Sometimes the moderators get power hungry on here and I believe this was the case.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

NBC continues to roll out it’s new on air branding centered around the new peacock, and we’ve got a new vanity card, which the network calls a “curtain raiser”, complete with the new logo, update chimes and animation. After seeing what they plan to do with the peacock animation and color variations, I really like the route they’ve gone with it, the new vanity card has some of that “in living color” vibe to it in my opinion and comes off less corporate-ish than the last one. 

Full article here: https://www.The Other Site.com/2022/12/30/nbc-rebranding-vanity-bug-snipe/

New vanity card: 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jrogo said:

New vanity card: 

One thing I like that CBS started as the trend is not just minimalist deconstruction in their rebrand, but harkening back to previous eras in their rebrand. CBS had the most success in their rebrand, so much so that ABC copied them, and now NBC is following suit.

If FOX didn't sell out to Disney, I would have totally seen the searchlights come back at some point.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 6:55 PM, TheNewsTV said:

Also appears in some graphics on Nightly News

242633148_NBCNY01.ts_snapshot_06_20_642.thumb.jpg.d6a04cbaadb7df8325c057eef0ec796d.jpg1465347245_NBCNY01.ts_snapshot_29_32_043.thumb.jpg.dce01db8af3f7883cbb0b8f1a6d9c532.jpg

Another example of why dropping the white fill doesn't make sense to me. The background is so dark that the purple and blue feathers (especially purple) are almost totally lost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

Another example of why dropping the white fill doesn't make sense to me. The background is so dark that the purple and blue feathers (especially purple) are almost totally lost.

In fairness, the gradient on the colors doesn’t help. Still, I’m starting to come around to that thinking myself. Dropping the fill works with some backgrounds/design themes, but not all of them. Hell, the affiliates won’t be dropping the fill because it doesn’t work for most of them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 7:24 PM, Action Newsroom said:

I'd like the logo better with the white border (those colors will get camouflaged at some points in promos.) I really don't like the new font.

I'd like the logo better with the white border as well. Yet, I must be honest: I love the new logo typeface. I did my take on what the current logo should've looked like.

On 12/10/2022 at 10:24 PM, Action Newsroom said:

I'd like the logo better with the white border (those colors will get camouflaged at some points in promos.) I really don't like the new font.

11 hours ago, DonDonP1 said:

I'd like the logo better with the white border as well. Yet, I must be honest: I love the new logo typeface. I did my take on what the current logo should've looked like.

Actually, there might be some hope on that: During telecasts of the NFL Playoffs, the bug on the top right corner was refreshed. And it looks like the new peacock design, but with a white border added; so there may be some applications where the border will stay intact.

NBC-Sports-New-Bug.thumb.png.c14280c74903e279e2ed57e0fa9ef45c.png

Edited by kfc513
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2022 at 11:20 AM, Tyler Tomasino said:

I’m a big fan of that animation. 

Something I'd like to know-- why is it called a "curtain raiser"? Is it because it's akin to raising the curtains at a big play, and on with the show, as they say?