NBC Updates the Peacock.

Superdude

Per the article: "When time comes for a complete peacock update across all divisions, it is likely to involve replacing physical and digital versions of the logo on countless sets, building signage, stationery, websites, motion graphics, show opens, social media platforms and even vehicles — not to mention having affiliates update their logos to match the redrawn peacock."

I believe a form of this (albeit without social media platforms and websites) was done in 1986 when NBC switched from the 1979 bird and N that we had known for seven seasons (eight years) to the peacock that came before this newer one (the first version of the peacock we know today), in that many NBC stations had to make changes to adapt to the newer bird (the O&Os especially [WNBC NYC, KNBC L.A., WMAQ Chicago, et al.]).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

Per the article: "When time comes for a complete peacock update across all divisions, it is likely to involve replacing physical and digital versions of the logo on countless sets, building signage, stationery, websites, motion graphics, show opens, social media platforms and even vehicles — not to mention having affiliates update their logos to match the redrawn peacock."

I believe a form of this (albeit without social media platforms and websites) was done in 1986 when NBC switched from the 1979 bird and N that we had known for seven seasons (eight years) to the peacock that came before this newer one (the first version of the peacock we know today), in that many NBC stations had to make changes to adapt to the newer bird (the O&Os especially [WNBC NYC, KNBC L.A., WMAQ Chicago, et al.]).

This won’t be an “overnight” change like in 1986 - as that change was a complete overhaul of the logo and IIRC, it took effect immediately.  this one, like the ABC logo update, is small enough that both variations will probably be floating around for years…

Jim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

This was unnecesary and not an improvement by any measure. First ABC ruined their logo, then CBS gets a miniscule screen bug, now this. Its like the networks are dertermined to spend money for a worse product. 

I like the abc tweaks, makes it a little bolder.  Hate the miniscule cbs eye.  The peacock doesn't look right without the white.  I liked their 1980 peacock the best with the tail feather and two feathers for each color.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

This was unnecesary and not an improvement by any measure. First ABC ruined their logo, then CBS gets a miniscule screen bug, now this. Its like the networks are dertermined to spend money for a worse product. 

Because of a logo change? That’s a bit of an overstatement IMHO. ABC and NBC’s new logos are more mobile-friendly, and the new CBS bug is less intrusive. Besides, we’re the only people that are consciously noticing this stuff; all of these changes are so minuscule that I’m not sure it’s even worth calling them different logos.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Well the new ABC logo has grown on me. I don't really mind it now. 

The CBS logo bug still kinda bothers me as I think it should be bigger, but that's really much ado about nothing. 

As for the NBC logo update? A white border around the peacock would make it look better, but it doesn't look all that bad. 

Edited by tjt24
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Because of a logo change? That’s a bit of an overstatement IMHO. ABC and NBC’s new logos are more mobile-friendly, and the new CBS bug is less intrusive. Besides, we’re the only people that are consciously noticing this stuff; all of these changes are so minuscule that I’m not sure it’s even worth calling them different logos.

I keep hearing it said that flatness is more mobile friendly. In what way? 

It's  a fair statement to not nitpick too much given that the average viewer just cares about channel content more so than presentation elements. A tweaked logo isn't the end of the world. On the contrary, a large portion of what we critique here like lighting, studio setup, and graphics, only industry junkies would care about. My point remains though, a lot of these graphical "updates" networks are doing to their logos seem to take a step backwards.

The NBC news logo IMO is the perfect all around peacock design to settle on. White borders with depth, gloss, and gradient to the colors.

Newsroom Coffee And Sugar Habits At NBC News

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

I keep hearing it said that flatness is more mobile friendly. In what way? 

It's  a fair statement to not nitpick too much given that the average viewer just cares about channel content more so than presentation elements. A tweaked logo isn't the end of the world. On the contrary, a large portion of what we critique here like lighting, studio setup, and graphics, only industry junkies would care about. My point remains though, a lot of these graphical "updates" networks are doing to their logos seem to take a step backwards.

The NBC news logo IMO is the perfect all around peacock design to settle on. White borders with depth, gloss, and gradient to the colors.

Newsroom Coffee And Sugar Habits At NBC News

As for the “why is flat better for mobile?” question, I’m far from a design expert, but I think this article puts forward a good argument for it (and explains it better than I ever could). Long story short, flat design allows for greater contrast and more flexibility. When you’re working with a smaller amount of space, gradients and gloss can be unnecessarily complicated and distracting. It’s the same reason why IOS and Windows dropped their old glossy designs they had for their operating systems several years back.

I’m not against the old peacock or anything, but on the subject of NBC News, their visual presentation is looking rather dated IMO (although not nearly as dated as ABC). I’m sure they’ll eventually adapt their graphics to suit the new peacock, but I doubt they’re in any rush to do it given the similarities between the logos. I can be nit picky about this stuff myself, but I honestly didn’t even notice the changes when the new promos first aired. That’s how subtle they are IMO. But to each their own.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 12/15/2022 at 9:07 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

As for the “why is flat better for mobile?” question, I’m far from a design expert, but I think this article puts forward a good argument for it (and explains it better than I ever could). Long story short, flat design allows for greater contrast and more flexibility. When you’re working with a smaller amount of space, gradients and gloss can be unnecessarily complicated and distracting. It’s the same reason why IOS and Windows dropped their old glossy designs they had for their operating systems several years back.

I’m not against the old peacock or anything, but on the subject of NBC News, their visual presentation is looking rather dated IMO (although not nearly as dated as ABC). I’m sure they’ll eventually adapt their graphics to suit the new peacock, but I doubt they’re in any rush to do it given the similarities between the logos. I can be nit picky about this stuff myself, but I honestly didn’t even notice the changes when the new promos first aired. That’s how subtle they are IMO. But to each their own.

Is there not a way to have a flat logo used for mobile devices while keeping the previous logo for over the air? Meaning I’ve seen different logos before when watching local news on a station’s  streaming app (or website) in L3 as compared to watching it at the same time live on my TV. If they have been able to do it until now, why the need to change it fully across the board?

With regard to the CBS logo being too small, It seems counterproductive to the above argument where logos are being made to be able to be seen better on smaller devices. If you can barely see it on the TV because it’s so small, won’t it be harder to see on a smart phone? Just seems odd to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Briella said:

The peacock isn’t the problem there. The rest of the logo is. Local stations need to get with the times and update their logos instead of holding the networks back.

I get where you're coming from, but some station logos should never be changed. Ever. 

On the other hand, there are other station logos that need a complete overhaul (see WKYC and WRTV, for example). 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Briella said:

The peacock isn’t the problem there. The rest of the logo is. Local stations need to get with the times and update their logos instead of holding the networks back.

That is easier said that than done.

Some stations can't afford to change their logo right away. WLEX changed their logo to be all blue in 2021. New signage on cars, building, new mic flags so they won't be itching to change their logo again anytime soon, but I would like to see a new logo one day to incorporate the new NBC logo. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

WOOD-TV uses an all black logo for their branding -- with the recent music change, I wonder if this will open the door for a logo change... it's been over 20 years since this current version has changed..

WOOD.png

We're not doing this with every affiliate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/10/2022 at 6:00 AM, bmasters1 said:

It's very common to be running with the old logo these days and not go through the trouble of updating them. Kmart, Kroger, Sears, Macy's, Marathon, Exxon and many others do the same thing. I know that's retail, but that's where logos get a lot of exposure like tv.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 9:09 AM, 24994J said:

We're not doing this with every affiliate.

I agree with @MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie, who isn’t harming anyone. When people post these types of things, it’s not like the sky is falling.

Everything in moderation, including moderation. Take a chill pill.

Edited by Joey1986
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2