WTOK new set

NWA_TV_guy

I assume it was overall station budget limitations that nixed a set upgrade during the tech upgrade. Plus both on-air and off-air staff learning new systems is a 'chicken with head cut-off' situation that would be a disaster to occur at the same time. It wasn't optimum but it probably worked out better this way (though uggh I still hate the WBAY logo copy they ended up with).

• Like 2

Attached is a current picture of the existing set from Meterologist Deitra McKenzie's facebook profile:

Basically, it looks like the original set that Benedek put in (like WTVY also used to have before they switched to the standard-issue Gil Jimenez Gray set) with some refacing. 

I remember when they went HD about a decade ago, they had the big studio-like cameras (which were actually hand-me-downs from WNDU...probably from their ND ownership days). 

As you can see, they are now the tiny PTZ ones that are commonplace with automation systems.  At least they're not hanging from the ceiling!

Given the cost of such upgrades, it makes sense for a station in a place like Meridian to space these out.  Viewers aren't going to notice the automation (if it works like it's supposed to!) so that can be hidden in another year.  And with Gray's graphic package rollouts, we all know how that is.

wtok studio.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's the story from WTOK about their new set.  It cost around $400K, with half of that invested into the technology side of things.

https://www.wtok.com/2023/01/18/wtok-news-11-debuts-new-set/

It's better than I expected.  Not quite as good as WLOX's new digs, but much better than the bus-station look I was expecting..

(it's there to a degree, but it's more set-like)