Gari's Advantage retired from WFSB

qunewsguy

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Because Gray has a group deal with SAM.

I don’t think so; there are plenty of Gray stations using old stuff from Gari/615/Non-Stop. IIRC, Warner Chappell is charging their clients a crap ton if they want upgrades to music packages. Advantage badly needed updates, but the price probably wasn’t worth it, so WFSB went with Arnold instead. Same reason why WOOD dropped Primetime News if I’m not mistaken. Sad, but I can’t say I blame the stations at all.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I don’t think so; there are plenty of Gray stations using old stuff from Gari/615/Non-Stop. IIRC, Warner Chappell is charging their clients a crap ton if they want upgrades to music packages.

I know Warner Music Group (WC's owner) only licenses the name from WBD for continuity purposes, but it's just been a bad year to be associated with anything named Warner.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Thirty years of the same music cuts is amazing, given a huge majority of stations aren't using the same package beyond 5-10 years at the most. I don't think we used any news jingles beyond 10 years in Yakima/Tri-Cities. 

It's a wonder that WFSB viewers haven't did like what WPVI viewers did back in 1996 when WPVI tried to retire MCTYW, and demanding that WFSB keep "Advantage", similar to how WPVI viewers demand they keep MCTYW.

The only few stations to keep same music package for decades with updated cuts or remasterings to prevent from sounding too dated...

-- WPVI having "Move Closer To Your World" music since 1972, and 4 or 5 day break in 1996 when WPVI experimented with London Philharmonic version of MCTYW that didn't go over well with viewers that forced them to switch back to the iconic Al Ham version of MCTYW.  WKBW used MCTYW twice (1972-2003 & 2008-2014), and WNEP has used Cliff Schwartz version since 1994.  There's also no telling what WPVI would've looked and sounded like (in a what if scenario I've thought of) had they switched to other news music packages like Gari's "Hello News" and "The Great News Package" during most of the 80s and early 90s, and "Advantage" and "Newschannel" (also Gari themes) during most of the mid-to-late 90s and early 2000s, or 615 themes like "In-Sink" and/or "Propulsion" for most of the late 2000s and 2010s.

-- WJZ used "Chroma Cues" since 1987.

-- WRAL has used "In-Sink" since 1994.

Edited by atlnewsfan03
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:22 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I don’t think so; there are plenty of Gray stations using old stuff from Gari/615/Non-Stop. IIRC, Warner Chappell is charging their clients a crap ton if they want upgrades to music packages. Advantage badly needed updates, but the price probably wasn’t worth it, so WFSB went with Arnold instead. Same reason why WOOD dropped Primetime News if I’m not mistaken. Sad, but I can’t say I blame the stations at all.

Agree to disagree.

On 12/31/2022 at 8:22 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

Breaking a bit of the fourth wall here, but we commissioned updates of Advantage from WC in 2019. They frankly were not great. Sometimes you just need to go in a completely different direction.

• Like 3

To be honest, WCPM only recycled the content from 615, Gari, Non-Stop, the Shelly Palmer catalog, and whatever else they acquired. With just a sprinkle of some uninspiring and forgetful updates mostly just from a select few 615 and Gari works, there haven't been brand new packages made since each of the bigger fish was gobbled up, unless you count New York's Very Own for WPIX, and Sinclair Curves and Glass.

I don't know what WCPM is going to do now since the principal 615 composers left to form 11/One.

Edited by KentBrockman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 12:48 AM, DirtyHarry said:

While they're at it, the 1990's called and they want their logo back.

WFSB_Channel_3_(logo).png.89881a0b35d9a0ae9acab332d1d85b3b.png

This logo didn't debut until 2004. And it's a bit long in the tooth to be fair. 

Everyone forgets the seven years WFSB didn't have Advantage and used two Advantage ripoffs.

• Like 1