KHQ rebrands as “NonStop LOCAL”

BluesNews

Same w/ KNDO-KNDU...no longer using the older music I believe. We don't watch much KNDU as I think KVEW has improved in recent months.

Could this be the beginning of the end for the central WA NBC affiliates? With KHQ sharing the 4pm news with KNDU, how long will Tracci Dial keep her job?

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Same w/ KNDO-KNDU...no longer using the older music I believe. We don't watch much KNDU as I think KVEW has improved in recent months.

Could this be the beginning of the end for the central WA NBC affiliates? With KHQ sharing the 4pm news with KNDU, how long will Tracci Dial keep her job?

Agree growing up in Yakima left around 2009 I can see a day coming that WA state has just KING 5 and KHQ and so on. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I didn't think it was possible to make a local news operation virtually generic and without life, but if you put a NonStop Local edition on in Central Mississippi, you could remove the weather forecast and nobody would know this is a news program about Spokane.

• Like 2

I can’t help but wonder if the end goal here is a collaborative regional “NonStop Local” 24-hour news channel on the Cowles stations’ .3s, or even as a replacement for SWX on the .2s.

Edited by AKA
  • Sad 1

Losing SWX would suck. That's the only place you can find EWU and Montana football games here. They still air HS football as well. But why bother if you can stream all the games on NFHS or whatever site the college leagues use.

I still believe that the building at 3312 W Kennewick Ave will cease to exist in the coming years.

My favorite part of “NonStop Local” is the pre-recorded late night weather forecast on “Mother Q” as she’s affectionately known. In the three weeks leading up to the launch — barring the Friday before the launch — the 10p/11p weather was taped. The quality is crap, but kudos to Claire and Blake for making the toss look live. The late forecast was live on a Tuesday, perhaps, during launch week and one other time during last week’s snow.  Interestingly enough, Blake is live for the weather cut-in on NBC News Daily. If any forecast is taped it should be this one … it’s plays during a program where KHQ controls very little of the ad inventory. You’d think they’d allocate their labor to programs where they control all the ad $$$ like their local newscasts. So far, all other stations in the Cowles group are airing live weather.

re: The 4PM regional newscast is two things — a money grab for political ads and a reason to not have to pay for a syndicated program. 

re: Tracci Dial … there has been an opening for a co-anchor posted on the careers page for so long. At this point, I’d bet they’d hire anyone. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Losing SWX would suck. That's the only place you can find EWU and Montana football games here. They still air HS football as well. But why bother if you can stream all the games on NFHS or whatever site the college leagues use.

I still believe that the building at 3312 W Kennewick Ave will cease to exist in the coming years.

I think if one was so inclined, one could convert SWX into a regional news channel while keeping all of the local live sporting events and the nightly SWX Tonight. Outside of that, I have to doubt many people are watching their syndicated fare or radio simulcasts out of Seattle.

Of course, this is me spitballing. I just want to believe there’s a reason Cowles stripped all their stations of their individuality by converting them to this bland “NonStop Local” and launched the nonstoplocal.com site. It doesn’t make sense to me otherwise that KHQ’s URL is now four times longer than it has been the past 25 years. (It’s still at khq.com, but on air the anchors now direct viewers to nonstoplocal.com.)

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 10:09 PM, norcalTVfan said:

My favorite part of “NonStop Local” is the pre-recorded late night weather forecast on “Mother Q” as she’s affectionately known. In the three weeks leading up to the launch — barring the Friday before the launch — the 10p/11p weather was taped. The quality is crap, but kudos to Claire and Blake for making the toss look live. The late forecast was live on a Tuesday, perhaps, during launch week and one other time during last week’s snow.  Interestingly enough, Blake is live for the weather cut-in on NBC News Daily. If any forecast is taped it should be this one … it’s plays during a program where KHQ controls very little of the ad inventory. You’d think they’d allocate their labor to programs where they control all the ad $$$ like their local newscasts. So far, all other stations in the Cowles group are airing live weather.

re: The 4PM regional newscast is two things — a money grab for political ads and a reason to not have to pay for a syndicated program. 

re: Tracci Dial … there has been an opening for a co-anchor posted on the careers page for so long. At this point, I’d bet they’d hire anyone. 

Oh heck, you should check out the tired and worn-out operation of KIMA Yakima. 'Uncle' Jimmy Nolan is spinning in his grave. The anchor makes all possible effort to toss to a 'live' report that was taped HOURS ago. He or she will 'ask' the reporter a hook question. Sometimes the anchor is almost done with the question when boom! The recording starts and the reporter's mouth starts moving. Oopsie. 🤪

That's not all. They will ask meteorologist Mike McCabe 'on tape' from KEPR a hook question as well. If anyone needs to use KIMA 'Action News' as an influence, it's for a Saturday Night Live skit and nothing else.

Want a comparison? Check out the old NewsBeat videos from the '90s and you can see, even with a low-budget setup, how KIMA did their best to serve the local community.

How long before 29 and 19 both shut down and Molly Shen or Eric Johnson pre-tapes an eastern WA newscast from KOMO?

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1