March Madness 2023

CircleSeven

It's probably too early to talk about March Madness because College Basketball season doesn't start for another two weeks or so. But there could be a major change to its post-season event after the end of this season.

Longtime CBS Sports personality Jim Nantz has announced he will call his final NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament in Houston this Spring. But according to the NY Post, Nantz is not leaving the coverage completely, as he'll continue to handle the trophy presentation.

Nantz has been involved in this March Madness tourney since 1986, first as a studio host, then calling the games since 1991.

Nantz will continue to call the NFL games and Golf coverage. Ian Eagle will take over Nantz's spot as main play-by-play announcer in 2024.

• Thanks 1

Wow. That’s a massive surprise; March Madness was Jim’s first big sporting event at CBS IIRC. He’ll be missed, but family comes first, and I can’t blame him for that.

Also, it’s about time Ian Eagle gets a shot at a championship game. I guess that means that the remaining top announcers for CBS/Warner Bros (Eagle, Harlan, Anderson) now have top play-by-play gigs covering the NCAA, NBA, and MLB respectively. And Nantz will still do golf and the NFL, which I always felt were better suited for him than college basketball anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 1:04 PM, TexasTVNews said:

And it's still not the same without Verne Lindquist.

Gus Johnson was the biggest loss, IMO. Wish there was a way for CBS/Turner to bring him back just for March Madness coverage.

Still going to be weird not hearing Nantz call the Final Four and championship games, but it makes sense. Fascinating how sports TV is turning over to the next generation over the past year, with new play by play voices in the lead spots for most networks. Ian Eagle is great (as is his kid Noah) and he'll be a solid lead PxP voice for CBS moving forward. I'm sure he's being groomed as the replacement for Nantz in the NFL lead booth at some point down the line too.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 7:41 AM, Georgie56 said:

Reggie Miller is out (again) on March Madness coverage.

That’s a shame. I really like Reggie as a broadcaster, and he and Dan Bonner had some good chemistry with Kevin Harlan.

Considering that Stan Van Gundy has previously defended the government that just flew spy balloons over the US, I can’t say that I’m a big fan of him. I really hope they don’t pair him w/ Harlan.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Comment formatted wrong

CBS' newest hire, former Villanova head coach Jay Wright, will be in studio for the Selection Show on Sunday, per this press release.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2023-03-06/cbs-sports-and-warner-bros-discovery-sports-present-2023-ncaa-mens-basketball

Edited by tjt24
  • Like 3