Specialty news titles

bmasters1

Regarding Columbus and NightBeat, at the time WBNS was getting their clock cleaned by WCMH at 10pm (and other time slots) so they decided to shake up the 11pm show.  This was when NBC still owned WCMH (and now we can say when 10TV was owned by the Wolfes) ... never could we imagine that WSYX and WTTE would rule the ratings and 10TV sells out to Tegna...

But back to the recycled news titles.  Cleveland had two times of "Action News".  WKYC used "Action 3 News" from the 1970s to 1985-ish (likely because Virgil Dominic left WKYC to move to Atlanta for a few years, only to resurface at WJ(K)W to make them more NBC-like with "NewsCenter8" ).  Then came the WOIO variant we all know and love until the "Cleveland 19" disaster.

Same can be said for "Eyewitness News" in Cleveland.  KYW (in their Cleveland years) was one of, if not the first to use the title for their newscasts.  Later, WEWS would pick it up and use it all the way until 1990.

The one thing that surprised me was how short the "Good Day" brand lasted in Cleveland.  It only lasted from 1994 to 1995,  from when they went FOX to the "ei8ht is news" era.  Even before Fox got a hold of the station.  That move of desperation was probably the one thing that kept Fox from implementing it at the time, coupled with WJW's rise to perpetual dominance in the ratings....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

You missed the point of the theme. Please reread the original post.

Explain it then. How is Today in LA or Good Day any different than “Nightbeat” being used as a title for a certain newscast? Maybe I’m confused but those morning titles are only used for those specific broadcast and typically don’t include the time (6am, 7am, etc) and don’t use the station’s general branding (it’s not “NBC 4 News Today in LA,” it’s simply Today in LA).

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Explain it then. How is Today in LA or Good Day any different than “Nightbeat” being used as a title for a certain newscast? Maybe I’m confused but those morning titles are only used for those specific broadcast and typically don’t include the time (6am, 7am, etc) and don’t use the station’s general branding (it’s not “NBC 4 News Today in LA,” it’s simply Today in LA).

You obviously didn't read the OP fully. It says:

On 10/18/2022 at 4:12 PM, bmasters1 said:

By specialty titles, I'm specifically excluding the titles that were/are used overall for stations' operations (Eyewitness News, Action News and the like), and also the time of day titles (at 6, 10 P.M., etc.).

That said, specialty titles refer to those titles which are/have been used for specific dayparts (an example of one of these is Nightdesk, which, IIRC, was used for many years on WBRZ Channel 2 [ABC in Baton Rouge, Louisiana])...

Titles such as Good Day (Timbuktu) and Today in (Your Neck of the Woods) – with or without the network/channel number tag – don't fall under this criteria. These are common titles/daypart branding which tend to be associated with stations owned by/affiliated with a specific network: Today in... for NBC and Good Day... for Fox (with a notable exception being WSVN in Miami, whose morning show has been called Today in South Florida since that station was an NBC affiliate).

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

Titles such as Good Day (Timbuktu) and Today in (Your Neck of the Woods) – with or without the network/channel number tag – don't fall under this criteria. These are common titles/daypart branding which tend to be associated with stations owned by/affiliated with a specific network: Today in... for NBC and Good Day... for Fox (with a notable exception being WSVN in Miami, whose morning show has been called Today in South Florida since that station was an NBC affiliate).

That’s not how the “rules” read to me and I’m not changing my post. Enjoy your day.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Speaking of WSVN..can't forget their "NightTeam" branding. Their opens go with 7 News at 10/11pm, but I don't have nearly enough fingers and toes to count how many times the word NightTeam is used on their late newscasts. Also, the reports tag out as "Live in Hallandale Beach, Joe Blow, 7 News NightTeam,"

11 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

Off-topic, but when did Lou Forrest pass? I couldn't find anything about it and as far as I know he's still with us.

Back in January his daughter posted an update about Lou passing at 72 from cancer.  The Dispatch hasn't wrote anything, because none of

the writers from years ago are there. None of the stations reported either.  That why nothing to see, and it was on Ch 6 former employee site on Facebook

how I found out.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

That’s not how the “rules” read to me and I’m not changing my post. Enjoy your day.

Ooo, someone's salty on a Sunday. 

Just admit you are wrong and say "my bad" instead of being arrogant and ignorant.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes

6 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

While I agree @MorningNews often gets salty, I kind of agree with them this time as it is somewhat confusing why this is not ok to post. Also, Today in South Florida is used by WTVJ, while WSVN uses Today in Florida. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

While I agree @MorningNews often gets salty, I kind of agree with them this time as it is somewhat confusing why this is not ok to post. Also, Today in South Florida is used by WTVJ, while WSVN uses Today in Florida. 

Dang it! I stand corrected then. Thank you.

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Haha damn, often gets salty? I don’t mean to be snippy but fair.

20 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Back in January his daughter posted an update about Lou passing at 72 from cancer.  The Dispatch hasn't wrote anything, because none of

the writers from years ago are there. None of the stations reported either.  That why nothing to see, and it was on Ch 6 former employee site on Facebook

how I found out.

I found those posts on FB, it was from some former 10TVers who worked with him. They said he passed in London at age 78 back in January of this year.

It is a bit surprising that there was no obit on him in The Columbus Dispatch or on either WBNS-TV or WSYX. Perhaps that's what Lou wanted or recieved from years of living abroad and under-the-radar.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 11:27 AM, FiveNews said:

Speaking of WSVN..can't forget their "NightTeam" branding. Their opens go with 7 News at 10/11pm, but I don't have nearly enough fingers and toes to count how many times the word NightTeam is used on their late newscasts. Also, the reports tag out as "Live in Hallandale Beach, Joe Blow, 7 News NightTeam,"

True but WHDH and WJAR also use that.

• Confused 1

On 10/24/2022 at 9:45 AM, Big Rollo Smokes said:

I found those posts on FB, it was from some former 10TVers who worked with him. They said he passed in London at age 78 back in January of this year.

It is a bit surprising that there was no obit on him in The Columbus Dispatch or on either WBNS-TV or WSYX. Perhaps that's what Lou wanted or recieved from years of living abroad and under-the-radar.

No obit is The Dispatch is not what The Dispatch used to be. No longer under The Wolfe Family control.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:33 AM, MorningNews said:

I’m a fan of the morning block titles “Today in LA, NY” and Good Day on Fox.

I agree it's good for the NBC O&O's to use the Today In LA/NYC, I like the Good Day that the Fox O&O's do as well some Fox stations outside the O&O's use Good Day I wish that WXMI Fox17 would go with Good Day West Michigan or GR than Fox17 Morning News.

News Channel3 WWMT since 2007 when Freedom owned WWMT. Wood TV 24 Hour News 8 from 1990-2019 now it's just News 8 I think former sister station WISH also used 24 hour News as well in INDY.