Specialty news titles

bmasters1

What is one of your favorite specialty titles that any station has/has had for a newscast?

By specialty titles, I'm specifically excluding the titles that were/are used overall for stations' operations (Eyewitness News, Action News and the like), and also the time of day titles (at 6, 10 P.M., etc.).

That said, specialty titles refer to those titles which are/have been used for specific dayparts (an example of one of these is Nightdesk, which, IIRC, was used for many years on WBRZ Channel 2 [ABC in Baton Rouge, LA]) within their Eyewitness News branding as a late edition subtitle; I don't know if this was used as a subtitle within any other overall branding on that Louisiana ABC station.

Also, to not have this a list thread, only one example per person per answer (multiple answers are allowed, but only one example per answer).

Edited by bmasters1

How about Nightside, which was part of KNBC in L.A. for many years, under many overall brandings (NewsCenter 4, News 4 LA and Channel 4 News are the ones I remember it being used for); it was also used for many other stations of various affiliations, but that would turn this into a list.

Edited by bmasters1

43 minutes ago, Bsean said:

For me, I liked the format of the early Prime Time KCAL news block. The 8p hour was designated as the California Report, the 9p hour was the World Report and the 10p was the normal local broadcast.

Perfect setup on that station in the City of Angels!

On 10/19/2022 at 6:18 AM, bmasters1 said:

Another specialty name that WBRZ has used (and, IINM, they still use this today): 2une In (for the morning edition).

Speaking of WBRZ, when it had the Eyewitness News name, their 10pm news was known as... the Nightdesk. I'm not even kidding.

• Like 3

On 10/22/2022 at 10:10 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

How could we forget some station in Cleveland with such eye-popping "News" titles as...

Go!
What's New

What's Now

Front Row

What's Next

Any guesses?  I"ll give you until the count of one...two......

I personally know one of the anchors/reporters at said station in Cleveland. At some point, I hope to ask this person how they feel about these titles and current (soon-to-be-former) ownership's continuing efforts to dumb-down the news...

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Like 2

In the 2000s, WBNS in Columbus also revamped their 11 pm news as NightBeat, using a totally different graphics package and harder cuts of This is Your News

I believe it lasted until they went HD in 2007 and shed the 10TV Eyewitness News branding and became 10TV News HD.

Here's their 2003 debut. 

The subject of the lead story, a wanted fugitive showed up at the 10TV studios right at the top of the show to give her side of the story.

41 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

In the 2000s, WBNS in Columbus also revamped their 11 pm news as NightBeat, using a totally different graphics package and harder cuts of This is Your News

I believe it lasted until they went HD in 2007 and shed the 10TV Eyewitness News branding and became 10TV News HD.

Here's their 2003 debut. 

The subject of the lead story, a wanted fugitive showed up at the 10TV studios right at the top of the show to give her side of the story.

Funny part is during the 80s when the late Lou Forrest and Bob Orr did the 11pm they were called Nighbeat.  Then in the late 90s WSYX during the Deb Countiss/Bob Hetherington/Lorene Wagner era they also did

Nightbeat at 11pm. However in the 80s and early 90s  WTVN & WSYX called their 11pm  Nightcast.  Nightbeat return 10TV in the early 2000s.

2 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Funny part is during the 80s when the late Lou Forrest and Bob Orr did the 11pm they were called Nighbeat.  Then in the late 90s WSYX during the Deb Countiss/Bob Hetherington/Lorene Wagner era they also did

Nightbeat at 11pm. However in the 80s and early 90s  WTVN & WSYX called their 11pm  Nightcast.  Nightbeat return 10TV in the early 2000s.

Off-topic, but when did Lou Forrest pass? I couldn't find anything about it and as far as I know he's still with us.