2022-23 NHL season

Viper550

Some notes already;

• Bill Spaulding is the new voice of the Devils
  • Eddie Olczyk is joining the Kraken booth as a second analyst, in addition to his TNT duties.
  • Sportsnet cancelled Hometown Hockey, and a lesser version of NHL Live is being integrated directly into Sportsnet Now Premium
  • Digital ad replacement on the boards (i.e. World Cup of Hockey and 2020 All-Star Game) is coming to all NHL games this season.

MSG has new graphics: honestly feels like a downgrade (the previous ones felt unique, these ones feel like SNY for some reason)

In addition, NBC's tweaked their scoreboard for regional games; it is still the same basic layout as before (the 2015 package, and not using the short-lived scoreboard from the 2021 playoffs) but it takes cues from the MLB update by switching to logos only and bigger score numbers, and has an inline shots on goal counter where score used to be. Those graphics are going to be ten years old soon, and they are not leaving without a fight.

Edited by Viper550
  • Sad 1

In other PXP News, Chris Vosters replaced Pat Foley on Blackhawks games, Dan Dunleavy will now call every Sabres game, replacing Rick Jeanneret, and Dan Robertson is the new announcer for the Winnipeg Jets, replacing Dennis Beyak. All three, as well as Spaulding, are tough acts to follow.

18 hours ago, Viper550 said:

In addition, NBC's tweaked their scoreboard for regional games; it is still the same basic layout as before (the 2015 package, and not using the short-lived scoreboard from the 2021 playoffs) but it takes cues from the MLB update by switching to logos only and bigger score numbers, and has an inline shots on goal counter where score used to be. Those graphics are going to be ten years old soon, and they are not leaving without a fight.

I don't understand why they don't just build an insert package based on the animation package they debuted last fall. The old inserts really clash with the new animations. Hell you can even base the design of those new inserts off the old stuff to make migration to the new look easier.

• Sad 1

While we're here, Sportsnet always times major rebrands/redesigns for the NHL season and MLB playoffs, and this year is no exception. Sportsnet Central got updated with a new set and flatter branding.

It's definitely more in line with their current imaging (the previous set, introduced as part of the larger Sportsnet rebranding in 2011,  was not too bad but seemed a bit small in comparison to TSN's more newsroom-based SportsCentre studio, and I swear they had been practicing social distancing at that desk for the video wall before that was even a widely-known term) and the look of the new NHL studio (which has a similar aesthetic but more curved)

• Confused 1

After using what appeared to be a hastily thrown together reskin of the old Sportsnet graphics last year, TVA Sports has new graphics for its French NHL broadcasts.

Looks a lot like that one NBC used in the 2021 playoffs, but boxier. I'll give them credit for doing something a little different cause that doesn't look too bad.

Edited by Viper550
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Viper550 said:

After using what appeared to be a hastily thrown together reskin of the old Sportsnet graphics last year, TVA Sports has new graphics for its French NHL broadcasts.

Looks a lot like that one NBC used in the 2021 playoffs, but boxier. I'll give them credit for doing something a little different cause that doesn't look too bad.

The goal graphic reminds me of the 2021 NBC playoffs goal graphic as well.

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I couldn't tell the changes myself.

They incorporated the Stanley Cup on the scorebug, replay transition is different, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs logo is on the top left corner during replays instead of the "NHL on TNT/TBS" logo that's usually on the top right corner. 

• Like 1