2006 in review

PunditWannabe

So with the end of the year, I thought I'd start a thread to see what people think were the best and worst developments in the NY TV news market this year.

Best: Chuck and Sue continue to be the most stable and best pairing in NYC. They kick butt! Darlene R. continues to prove herself on TINY as a great anchor.

Worst: the constant shuffling at CBS2, particularly the removal of Roz Abrams and the duo of Wragge and Johnston at 5. Also the weather hirings at WNBC -- first Ibby C and then Sally Anne M.

The Good:

Kudos to WNBC for being the first NY station to broadcast their newscasts in HD.

Moving Dana back to the 11pm slot who has great chemistry with Jim.

Charles Perez out at WABC.

The great job WCBS was doing with breaking news coverage during the summer. They

even had the town hall fourm about the blackout hosted by Jim.

WCBS' mild rating success.

The Bad:

Removal of Roz completely off the schedule at WCBS.

Weekend Weather Scene at WNBC and WCBS. The additions to the respective station

seems weak. They both seem too nervous at times when they do the weather.

No new graphics for WPIX with the inception of the CW network.

NBC budget cuts that hit WNBC.

I agree essentially with everything said.

Dana back at 11 was an excellent move. WCBS' improving ratings are also very good.

Roz was doing so much better at noon/5, and kicking her off for Chris and Kristine was a horrible move.

Kate Sullivan is proving she wasn't that bad of a hire after all, and yes Darlene is also very good.

I do miss Shon Gables though.

WCBS needs to stop reshuffling. Well dump Chris/Kristine then stop. As I suggested, a Maurice/Kate swap with Chris/Kristine would be a good move for WCBS.

Liz Burke needs to go. I want Adrienne Watson.

WCBS actual news content is an amazing move compared to the past better half of a decade.

Steve Bartlestein needs to perform more like a professional off-air.

WNBC is HD is also a very good move.

Although Roz/Mary were a great team and their replacement was a bad move, WWOR's replacement of Rolland with Lynda Lopez was a horrendous move.

The flashier sets of WNYW and WWOR are better than their old ones, but you can tell the tabloid aspect is there.

The CW 11 logo needs improvement, and I agree they needed new graphics with that.

Jane Hanson off of New York television is bad.

Morry Alter will be missed from WCBS.

One of my favorite on air moments of the year. Jodi Applegate flipping out on GDNY for that bike incident.

But the real best of 2006 --> Dianne Doctor is off of New York TV News. Anyone know where she is recking havoc these days?

Archived