Newsy to rebrand as Scripps News

noggi

Newsy was a cool and fresh brand, I think it's more catchy than "Scripps News". 

I wonder if Scripps News and Scripps stations will have a unifying brand aka new graphics packages and music coming soon? I mean, they might as well standardize the whole thing. 

• Like 2

I like it. I think Scripps is a much more familiar name for people, given both the Spelling Bee and the long history of both newspaper publishing and broadcasting.

4 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

Newsy was a cool and fresh brand, I think it's more catchy than "Scripps News". 

I wonder if Scripps News and Scripps stations will have a unifying brand aka new graphics packages and music coming soon? I mean, they might as well standardize the whole thing. 

As far as graphics go, Newsy>Scripps stations IMO.

• Like 7

Like so many ironies of the Scripps/Journal deal that spun-off the newspapers only for them to get Gannetted then Apolloed into hedge fund hell (and now Milwaukee's Radio City no longer has a radio station in it), that a long-respected newspaper chain's name is now on a TV network is something I could've never pictured. Gotta use that brand equity and the lighthouse logo just has natural possibilities in any graphics package.

• Like 7

Honestly, that sounds a lot better. Imagine the embarrassment of telling someone "I'm a Newsy correspondent." Or calling up someone and saying "Hello, I was wondering if you could give a comment on this story to Newsy." Scripps News sounds more like a body within the company with a broad set of news resources rather than some quippy online news upstart that they just so happened to buy a few years ago.

The only thing that's a little puzzling is that Newsy underwent a rather nice visual rebrand not even a year ago.

• Like 8

Knowing Scripps they probably did audience research to see which name had more brand recognition.

Scripps is a recognizable name due to its legacy media, cable channels, healthcare (in Southern California even if it is unrelated to the modern media company - founder Ellen Browning Scripps's brother is Edward Willis Scripps "EW Scripps,) and the spelling bee, whereas Newsy is very niche.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 10/4/2022 at 2:48 PM, alaskanews said:

Knowing Scripps they probably did audience research to see which name had more brand recognition.

Scripps is a recognizable name due to its legacy media, cable channels, healthcare (in Southern California even if it is unrelated to the modern media company - founder Ellen Browning Scripps's brother is Edward Willis Scripps "EW Scripps,) and the spelling bee, whereas Newsy is very niche.

I would argue that I wouldn’t want to be affiliated with those outlets and would have doubled down on the Newsy brand. It’s new and refreshing sounding. Scripps News sounds old and lame. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I would argue that I wouldn’t want to be affiliated with those outlets and would have doubled down on the Newsy brand. It’s new and refreshing sounding. Scripps News sounds old and lame. 

It may be old and lame, but it's a known commodity.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Well then, known commodities suck. Add a little bit of mystery. There’s a reason why it’s “The National” rather  than “The National News” on CBC.

And that reason is because the name “The National” is a known commodity. That’s a brand with decades of exposure. Newsy is not.

When your company has a long history of journalism, why not capitalize on it to grow both your streaming network and national portfolio?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Scripps has added a couple hours of the Morning Rush block to Ion stations daily (it seems to be market-to-market), which is a great move, really. I'm interested to see if an unheralded addition of Scripps News/Newsy content to Ion can outrate NewsNation (I'm sure Sinclair's National Desk does the same thing easily).

• Like 2