KTLA getting a new set

SFTV

41 minutes ago, fan of la tv said:

Couple of screenshots from my tv (excuse the quality) showing some different angles of the set. Seems that Sports Final has a different background graphic on the monitors.\\

image.thumb.jpeg.3a1546e967ccb5aa8cb57d37c2e53a18.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fd2f8b161658a2a0aec4c71a887a2645.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e26da178bfd51514775537e619fada04.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.811f94808202c7ae07e3c4e9c542cbd3.jpeg

This set is recycling elements from NewsNation. So I think Clickspring designed this.

• Like 2

I don’t think it’s anything groundbreaking, but it looks nice, especially on wide shots. It’s an improvement over the last set. The 2-shot at the anchor desk is the only obvious weakness. There’s absolutely no depth-of-field with just the logo and a sea of blue (with some sort of topography pattern?) They should swap out that graphic with something different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C Block said:

I don’t think it’s anything groundbreaking, but it looks nice, especially on wide shots. It’s an improvement over the last set. The 2-shot at the anchor desk is the only obvious weakness. There’s absolutely no depth-of-field with just the logo and a sea of blue (with some sort of topography pattern?) They should swap out that graphic with something different.

Yeah I’m not liking the 2 shot for the exact reasons you mentioned, it’s the one letdown of an otherwise amazing set.

• Sad 1

Nice setup for sports final - the set has that distinctive Socal feel of the ‘85 KNBC set that lasted so long 

Also says something someone as skeptical as David Lazarus is excited about a set 

Agree with C the 2 shot could use editing. The depth and framing that shines in the rest of the set is missing 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Rich DeMuro’s report from this morning is below. The set was built by JHD Group in Los Angeles. Nexstar gave the station the autonomy to pick whatever set designer they wanted. 

https://ktla.com/morning-news/look-behind-the-scenes-of-ktlas-new-set/amp/?fbclid=PAAaYmDa4L_cJa_ZJiF_ezznNtqGsWpDazhXTe0EOmlVJo17sASr65D7cbaGA

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, fan of la tv said:

I'm sure down the line they might make some tweaks to it to improve that shot. 

I was just going to say the same thing, just based on the fact that none of the stand-ups, right now, are showing any graphic about the story being presented, just the 5 logo. I'm sure once they've gotten more settled in, the screen will be utilized with other graphics as well as the monitors at the other stand-up locations in the studio.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Rich DeMuro’s report from this morning is below. The set was built by JHD Group in Los Angeles. Nexstar gave the station the autonomy to pick whatever set designer they wanted. 

https://ktla.com/morning-news/look-behind-the-scenes-of-ktlas-new-set/amp/?fbclid=PAAaYmDa4L_cJa_ZJiF_ezznNtqGsWpDazhXTe0EOmlVJo17sASr65D7cbaGA

I remember reading this on the Discord, but I wouldn’t be surprised if every Nexstar station technically has the autonomy to pick any designer; it’s just that they don’t have the budget to go with a designer like JHD. As much as I’d love for every Nexstar station to have a set that looks as good as KTLA’s, stations that are below market #10 aren’t getting anything too elaborate. We shouldn’t expect them to, either; the money is better spent elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Actually I take back what I said earlier. This set looks fantastic. The more I look at it (particularly the secondary presentation areas), the more I notice how much detail went into it without going overboard. Take a look at it, and then take a look at the set it replaced, and you'll realize how it blows the old one out of the water. It probably cost a fortune, but it's a much more refined and better use of the space. The only thing I can find wrong with it is that monitor graphic on the 2-shot, but that's an easy fix.

Some more pictures on the designer website too:

https://jhdgroup.net/portfolio/ktla-news-studio/?portfolioCats=41%2C32%2C48%2C49%2C43%2C42%2C46

• Like 3

Really loving the high celing penthouse window grid look of the monitors behind the main anchor desk. The set is nice and spacious.

SB: even though we're in the video wall era, I do like when stations incorporate layered physical set details, and blend themwith the video walls to add the flexibility.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. They are now shooting the weather segments straight on instead of at an angle. Since they don't have a chromakey in the studio, it looked a little odd when they would point to the map and the camera was at an angle. Henry and Kirk Hawkins (in for Mark Kriski) were both visibly trying to awkwardly adjust to the new shot.

1 hour ago, FiveNews said:

Small update. They are now shooting the weather segments straight on instead of at an angle. Since they don't have a chromakey in the studio, it looked a little odd when they would point to the map and the camera was at an angle. Henry and Kirk Hawkins (in for Mark Kriski) were both visibly trying to awkwardly adjust to the new shot.

Yeah, they definitely still have some kinks to work out with weather. It seems they switch to full screen a lot which leaves the weather person out a lot of the shot half the time.

The set tweaks continue. New animation behind the anchors debuted this morning. Looks A LOT better! They should have launched with this animation as I know most of us complained that the previous blue/KTLA 5 looked flat and boring.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MorningNews said:

It’s an improvement for sure, they’ve added more depth but it style seems underwhelming.

ETA: What they’re using behind Glen and Lu at 11am is a 10/10. 

6145175A-A3A3-4694-8D73-9C80F773853D.jpeg

Must be a trend, GMA and GMA3 do something similar with those color tones. I'm not into the style either, it's a little too bland for my tastes. 

BUT I'm LOVING this set, good job KTLA!

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 1

They've also adjusted the weather shot again, to be tight on the monitor to give the appearance of a green screen. Not sure if they are rethinking how weather is being presented, possibly going back to green screen. Also, not sure if this is done on all broadcasts as I only watch the morning news.

Fantastic set overall. I Wish we saw more of the windows aspect than the giant video wall which makes the anchor shot look like every other station.

To me, video walls look washed out against harsh bright lighting combined with HD.

On 12/9/2022 at 11:19 AM, MorningNews said:

It’s an improvement for sure, they’ve added more depth but it style seems underwhelming.

ETA: What they’re using behind Glen and Lu at 11am is a 10/10. 

6145175A-A3A3-4694-8D73-9C80F773853D.jpeg

Edited by iron_lion

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2022 at 7:03 PM, Encore Emp said:

The new set is very beautiful and spacious! I’m glad KTLA is not following some other Nexstar stations and it’s in market #2 so expectations are high.

Ironic as Nextar (or what used to be Nextar's) station in the #1 market --WPIX-- looks sub par. 

52 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Ironic as Nextar (or what used to be Nextar's) station in the #1 market --WPIX-- looks sub par. 

The design in NEW York in term rendering are really good. WPIX new set is taking forever to supply chain issues there actually redoing the whole building to retrofit NewsNations shows.

• Like 1