20 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Anyway, the ANF YouTube channel has been placing thumbnails with headlines on their videos. Even videos from before the launch have these thumbnails. Granted, this is an extremely minor detail, but I’ve never seen this style of thumbnail from too many local outlets (even O&Os). This is stuff I’ve usually seen from bigger outlets, like France 24 and DW, on their YouTube channels. Smart use of branding, if you ask me.

52BF54E7-6CA8-4BE6-8477-78BC2137BCA2.jpeg

I've seen several station do custom thumbnails. For example KGW and KING. I prefer KGW's as KING's text is too small. I'm actually surprised more stations don't do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTVNews said:

I've seen several station do custom thumbnails. For example KGW and KING. I prefer KGW's as KING's text is too small. I'm actually surprised more stations don't do it.

It's a huge pain in the ass and most stations don't have a large enough digital staff for something like this. There's probably automated systems for publishing too, but most local stations also don't have the budget for this. We had to do them by hand at WUSA with a designer making a template, only to find that news management refused to get the digital team Adobe licenses. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Concerned 1

I don't think there's any chance of either WSB or WXIA switching networks.  Both turned CBS down when WAGA became a Fox o&o;  Tegna is  very tight with NBC, and ABC will do whatever it takes to keep WSB in the fold.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 12:53 PM, ATLNewsExpert said:

And make CBS go where, WXIA, WSB? Obviously pure speciation but that's quite a thought. To be fair WSB isn't as appealing to be an affiliate for as it was say thirty years ago during the last major switch's 

CBS would just go to WUPA. We were discussing the rationale behind removing CBS references from WANF.

WANF (and WNBC) included, standing desks sometimes makes the height contrast look distracting. Are they standing for the entirety of the 2 1/2 hour broadcast? They should mix sitting and standing for long newscasts such as mornings.  

Screenshot_20221005-224902_YouTube.jpg

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

While we're still talking about WANF/WUPA, and also considering the old CBS-Meredith contract ending in 2023 and the ongoing situation with Standard General and Apollo, I shall note of what could have been if not for the FCC + the Fed. If Cox and Tegna were to have merged together, formed a blind trust, compensated Byron Allen, whatever...CBS could have easily traded WUPA and WTOG earlier this year to the combined entity in exchange for Cox's KIRO in Seattle. This would have created the following:

• In Atlanta, Cox would have had a duopoly partner in WUPA that would have allowed WSB-TV to expand its Action News franchise into the morning (as in 7 to 9 am) and primetime hours, and provided not only direct competition for WANF/WPCH, but also WXIA/WATL and most especially WAGA which has pretty much cornered the market at these timeslots since December 11, 1994. (Most every other timeslot has belonged to WSB-TV since the days of kinescopes and 15-minute soap operas.)
  • In Seattle, CBS would have had an O&O in the Pacific Northwest in KIRO, a CW affiliate with a restored news department + "Tacoma Bureau" in KSTW, and a "CBS News Seattle" streaming channel. As with Atlanta, it would also give KIRO opportunities to air newscasts directly against KING/KONG and KCPQ/KZJO. (KOMO has KUNS for their duopoly, but no direct English-language linear outlet to expand its franchise unless the FCC allows triopolies, dependent on whatever sort of "voices" test may apply.)
  • And in Tampa, where CBS is not very likely to want WTSP given that it's apparently home to the TEGNA graphics hub (the master control hub is in Charlotte at WCNC), TEGNA would have a duopoly with WTSP/WTOG that would effectively compete with WTVT and WFLA/WTTA, and that's not even counting the possibility of WFTS making a swap with Hearst for WMOR (which is in the situation WFTS was in prior to becoming an ABC affiliate - when that station didn't even have space for a newsroom).

There is a lot more of what could have been, but for now it is what it is, and the only question now, with the SEC going to ABC in a couple of years (which explains why WSB is very unlikely to want to part ways with ABC, if at all), is where does WANF go from here? Remember that the on-air graphics are effectively using the colors of the (rebuilding) Atlanta Falcons, with no telling as to how many Falcons games will indeed be flexed under the new NFL TV contracts, or even what the ratings will be compared to SEC Saturdays full of Chick-fil-A and Zaxby's tailgates (for which only the latter would be open during whatever Falcons games WAGA does not pick up on Sundays).

Edited by SS8609
  • Confused 2

Well it's been a week after launch so here's an update as to what's on screen. 

Sport's segment's now have a dedicated intro, old graphics accidentally occasionally still make an appearance, they have completely gotten rid of using green screens,  I'm a huge fan of the set, I'm not entirely a fan of the angle shots of the set.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what can I see happening:

Eventually, CBS drops WANF and moves to the station it already owns here, WUPA, and perhaps change the call letters to WCBA (CBS Atlanta/CBS News Atlanta), as the current WUPA calls are a reference to the long-defunct UPN. This will allow to WANF to run more news and operate it as a true news-heavy channel, since that seems to be the brand they're trying to go for anyway. And then CBS can essentially do what they're doing in Detroit and establish a legit locally-run news operation instead of the Dallas-produced newscasts they're airing currently.

As for The CW, or what of it will exist at that time, Gray can sell WPCH (which essentially won't be "needed" once CBS leaves WANF) off to Nexstar and then that can basically become Atlanta's version of KTLA/WGN/WPIX, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, TresGriffin said:

Here's what can I see happening:

Eventually, CBS drops WANF and moves to the station it already owns here, WUPA, and perhaps change the call letters to WCBA (CBS Atlanta/CBS News Atlanta), as the current WUPA calls are a reference to the long-defunct UPN. This will allow to WANF to run more news and operate it as a true news-heavy channel, since that seems to be the brand they're trying to go for anyway. And then CBS can essentially do what they're doing in Detroit and establish a legit locally-run news operation instead of the Dallas-produced newscasts they're airing currently.

As for The CW, or what of it will exist at that time, Gray can sell WPCH (which essentially won't be "needed" once CBS leaves WANF) off to Nexstar and then that can basically become Atlanta's version of KTLA/WGN/WPIX, etc.

Here we go again the speculation 5000 on Channel 46 and CBS.  Nothing not happening and ANF is going to be just like Clear News here today gone tomorrow.  This is so stupid honestly.  The brand has been CBS46 and should of stayed CBS46 ANF could of come into play.  At this points CBS is moving to Channel 17- here you now go run with that. SMH

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Here we go again the speculation 5000 on Channel 46 and CBS.  Nothing not happening and ANF is going to be just like Clear News here today gone tomorrow.  This is so stupid honestly.  The brand has been CBS46 and should of stayed CBS46 ANF could of come into play.  At this points CBS is moving to Channel 17- here you now go run with that. SMH

Ikr, we don’t know if CBS wants to do that  if @Myron Falwelladded me back on discord if shut them down.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

No answer on that one, but I Hope they’re doing better than ever. If they are, maybe there’s potential for WOIO in Cleveland to rename itself as WONF, Ohio News First, and potential for WXIX in Cincinnati to rename Themselves as WCNF, Cincinnati News First.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, AdamTheJ said:

No answer on that one, but I Hope they’re doing better than ever. If they are, maybe there’s potential for WOIO in Cleveland to rename itself as WONF, Ohio News First, and potential for WXIX in Cincinnati to rename Themselves as WCNF, Cincinnati News First.

Don't get carried too away. They'll only do this on their flagship market so that this sucker can succeed. Also, WXIX is #1 in Cincinnati. Why change that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, AdamTheJ said:

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Don't get carried too away. They'll only do this on their flagship market so that this sucker can succeed. Also, WXIX is #1 in Cincinnati. Why change that?

And why would two different stations in the same state do this? Kinda pointless for one station to be Ohio News First if another station in the same state adopted the same brand.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

And WKTB has made the move into 14th street with WANF. Alongside the move they have officially moved into WANF's temporary set as it's new home, has rebranded as "Telemundo Georgia" and is now using look S, all of which look great! Really an improvement in Spanish Television in the market, now if only Univison would care about it's stations

image.png.5df6dc4e2d100318e9715d5d32218832.png

1 hour ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

And WKTB... is now using look S

Look S? Is NBC Arthouse syndicating it now?

I thought I read somewhere that they were done syndicating their O&O looks?

• Confused 1

It looks like Gray's L3s with Arthouse Owned type for the Telemundo newscasts. (Arthouse Owned incidentally was based on Barlow)

Also worth noting: the open lists W33EU-D Athens, which was licensed to cover in August. RabbitEars lacks full info. Unsure if they're broadcasting the WKTB mux or the WANF–WPCH mux.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

-No CBS logos on the ANF website, which is normal when stations are losing their affiliation;

-Meredith renewed their CBS contract in 3-year increments, the last contract was in 2020, probably ending in 2023;

-Low rated station CBS wouldn't miss;

-CBS dumping CW from CBS-owned Channel 69;

-Better dial position (hit the down button from Channel 2 and 69 is where you end up);

-Maximum power signal at 1000 KW.

All signs are pointing to this being the new WJXT, WISH, WHDH.

• Confused 2
  • Thought-Provoking 1

[Replying to a few replies to my comment on the CBS News Detroit thread...]

5 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

CBS doesn't own a station in Hartford.

I know that, but the logic in the specific post I was replying to -- your logic -- didn't say anything about CBS owning a station in Atlanta, so I didn't take that into consideration.

5 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

CBS has a station in Atlanta which is currently an affiliate of the CW (and possibly could be going indie). They aren’t going to keep the running the station as a stand-alone indie in a top 10 market. Nor do they have anyone to sell it to (friendly reminder that this is no longer a buyer’s market for TV stations or for large-scale M&As). 

Given that WWJ-TV is merely simulcasting an OTT/SVOD with a smattering of syndication and CBS programming, it’s not TOO outside the box to see CBS make WUPA, WTOG and KSTW in-house CBS O&Os. And even that LPTV in Indianapolis, WBXI-CD. Sure, CBS could use WTOG, WBXI-CD and KSTW as bargaining chips to get further established stations—and they probably will—but WWJ-TV and CBS News Detroit might be giving them a road map for the future that’s already under all of our noses.

I think I missed the part about the CW being dropped from WUPA. Has that been confirmed and/or announced?

And.... how has this thread not been shoved over to the Speculatron?

• Like 2

There are a few key differences to consider with WFSB compared to WANF:

• WFSB has been with CBS since 1958, while WANF literally only joined because they were the only option besides what would become WUPA, which was at the tail end of the TV dial.
  • WFSB has been a consistent market leader for the most part, while WANF has historically been an also-ran behind WSB, WAGA, and WXIA.
  • WUPA, currently, the local CW station, is owned by CBS, which, as @DirtyHarry mentioned, has no such presence in Hartford-New Haven. The current CW affiliate there is WCCT, owned by Tegna.
1 hour ago, mre29 said:

I think I missed the part about the CW being dropped from WUPA. Has that been confirmed and/or announced?

And.... how has this thread not been shoved over to the Speculatron?

It was mentioned in another thread about Nexstar buying The CW, through a report by Scott Jones of FTVLive. While Scott spins it as being a protest against the LIV Golf deal (long story), @Myron Falwell said it was more likely that it was just CBS washing its hands of the struggling network.

Also, this was technically meant to be a general thread about Gray's relaunch of an Atlanta newscast, but the rumor mill just made its way here.

7 minutes ago, Adam MadMan said:

There are a few key differences to consider with WFSB compared to WANF:

• WFSB has been with CBS since 1958, while WANF literally only joined because they were the only option besides what would become WUPA, which was at the tail end of the TV dial.
  • WFSB has been a consistent market leader for the most part, while WANF has historically been an also-ran behind WSB, WAGA, and WXIA.
  • WUPA, currently, the local CW station, is owned by CBS, which, as @DirtyHarry mentioned, has no such presence in Hartford-New Haven. The current CW affiliate there is WCCT, owned by Tegna.

It was mentioned in another thread about Nexstar buying The CW, through a report by Scott Jones of FTVLive. While Scott spins it as being a protest against the LIV Golf deal (long story), @Myron Falwell said it was more likely that it was just CBS washing its hands of the struggling network.

Also, this was technically meant to be a general thread about Gray's relaunch of an Atlanta newscast, but the rumor mill just made its way here.

There are rumors where people are blowing smoke, and then there are other rumors where there might be something to them. Given how all the pieces are fitting together, this one deserves a little more than a blow off. That doesn't mean it's going to turn out this way, but I still think it's weird to not have the CBS logo anywhere on your website or a link to "Your favorite CBS shows!" Even a small logo up in the corner or down at the bottom would be enough, yet there is nothing.

• Like 2