On 9/17/2022 at 3:55 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

If this turns out successful, I wonder if this experiment will transfer to other Gray markets?

I wouldn't doubt it. WGGB and WSHM here in Western Massachusetts already run something similar, calling their newscasts "Western Mass News", which was started after Meredith bought the former station. It already made sense in that market, since three of the Big Four networks (ABC and Fox on WGGB, CBS on WSHM) were now under one roof, so seeing other markets adopt a similar format under Gray doesn't surprise me that much.

17 minutes ago, bpatrick said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this transferred to other Gray markets; it already has in Nashville, Louisville, and Greenville/New Bern/Washington, while Charlotte and Roanoke have lifestyle shows.  I think that Gray's ultimate goal is to eliminate syndicated shows and go all-local when the networks are down.  That may take awhile; I know of Gray stations that have Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!,  and some, like WIS Columbia, SC, and WWBT Richmond, have Entertainment Tonight.  Obviously, the contracts for these shows have to expire and I can't tell you how far into their contracts each station is.

Another example I see is that on WXIX in Cincy (a Fox station) they only have 3 hours of syndicated programming between 4:30 AM and 7PM, followed by Wheel and Jeopardy.

And KVVU (Fox in Vegas) now has only 2 hours of syndicated shows from 4AM to 7:30 PM.

So yeah, I do see the endgame for the larger Grey markets is to go all-local programming during non-network time.

Edited by MD TV

On 9/19/2022 at 8:46 AM, bpatrick said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this transferred to other Gray markets; it already has in Nashville, Louisville, and Greenville/New Bern/Washington, while Charlotte and Roanoke have lifestyle shows.  I think that Gray's ultimate goal is to eliminate syndicated shows and go all-local when the networks are down.  That may take awhile; I know of Gray stations that have Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!,  and some, like WIS Columbia, SC, and WWBT Richmond, have Entertainment Tonight.  Obviously, the contracts for these shows have to expire and I can't tell you how far into their contracts each station is.

WOIO in Cleveland picked up Wheel and Jeopardy! in 2012 after WEWS dropped it for Scripps in-house programming (now just one show - The List).

Edited by CLETVFan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bpatrick said:

while Charlotte and Roanoke have lifestyle shows

WBTV brands QC Morning and QC at 3 as “QC Life”. Only one of those shows are needed. They could air a newscast at 9 or 3 and call the lifestyle show “QC Life.”

Edited by Nelson R.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:02 PM, ATLNewsExpert said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but are three pm newscast really a thing outside the ATL market on the east coast?

WPLG Miami
WBBH and WINK Fort Myers

WPEC WPB

WFTS Tampa

That's just Florida. Also, WAVE Louisville, WTVQ Lexington, WXIX Cincinnati, WOIO Cleveland, and a few others.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

She needed to go the moment she got there... She's been shown all over the internet for the wrong reasons... She can go anytime

Are we saying in so many words she is another Stepheny Fisher? (in the fact that so many want her gone, why I'm not sure she's just a morning metrologist, which like most morning crews, are more laid back)

Edited by ATLNewsExpert
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Is it because of the time she interrupted the Masters for severe weather coverage?

Part of the reason this is the other reason saying the morning show (when they announced it in 2020) should be centered around her.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/10/14/pissed-off-in-atlanta%3Fformat%3Damp

7 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Is it because of the time she interrupted the Masters for severe weather coverage?

Um, no. Look at her social media and tell us it’s appropriate for someone in her position in a Top 10 market. It’s “ME. ME. ME.” She even blocked FTV because he’s called her out before for posts she’s made. (And yes … I know others have blocked him too.)

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

We need the details 

Can't find it in Discord, but after seeing it on TV, it's essentially calling out WSB doing it "just to make money" and stating their (46's) commitment to the community not being temporary.

I'll add that 11 Alive has started to take some digs at ANF on some billboards I've seen around town. One says "Breaking News F1RST" and another says "Severe Weather F1RST", with the number 1 in the 11 Alive logo in place of the "I" in the word "FIRST".

Edited by swillh2k2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, swillh2k2 said:

Can't find it in Discord, but after seeing it on TV, it's essentially calling out WSB doing it "just to make money" and stating their (46's) commitment to the community not being temporary.

I'll add that 11 Alive has started to take some digs at ANF on some billboards I've seen around town. One says "Breaking News F1RST" and another says "Severe Weather F1RST", with the number 1 in the 11 Alive logo in place of the "I" in the word "FIRST".

I see Gray's taking a "Genesis Does What Nintendon't" approach to their advertising.

It worked for Sega in the 90s, but I'm not sure if it's the right way to promote local news. In video games it's not bad, but I feel like with news, people generally expect something more professional.

• Like 5

On 9/22/2022 at 5:49 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

Have they also hired a Spanish-language news team for the Telemundo expansion?

They have a big team already don’t expect changes to that. At WKTB they’ve been silent toward viewers on this. I expect them to sit around in the old building for a few weeks until the technical aspect of the move can be completed. And set rehearsals.

• Sad 1