New set for KEYE/Austin?

Greggo

The station’s morning news anchors posted on social media today that they were having to move belongings out of the newsroom because “changes are coming to our news set.” The studio set they have now dates back to when KEYE was owned by CBS. (CBS sold them in 2007.) Over the past 15 years or so it has been updated several times but the bones are still the same. It’s easily the oldest and least modern set in the market. Curious to see what Sinclair has in store. The space is cramped. There’s a weather center that’s never seen on camera anymore that could be relocated elsewhere in the building. And there’s also a small corner devoted to their lifestyle show that could be moved or eliminated. They already do a good chunk of the lifestyle show in the employee breakroom, where their kitchen set is located (yes, really) and on the station’s patio. 

Also worth noting … crosstown rival KXAN is currently on a temp set while the one they had (which was only like 3 years old) is being replaced. 

1E935E3D-BDBA-46CA-9A65-77C47ADDE619.jpeg

Fun facts: Since KEYE's news department signed on at the time of the 1995 affiliation swap with KTBC they have had...

• 2 sets
  • 4 owners (Granite, CBS, Four Points, Sinclair)
  • 5 station logos
  • 6 different brands (K-EYEwitness News, KEYE News, CBS 42 KEYE News, CBS 42 News, KEYE-TV News, CBS Austin News)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greggo said:

First look at the temp set. I certainly hope it’s not done yet. Pretty bland. 

58AD079A-AF5E-4780-8CE4-E12447982A14.jpeg

Hopefully they update it so it could become a home for Telemundo Austin. The temporary set. So many English non-nbc O&O stations give up there temporary sets for Telemundo partners.

7 minutes ago, Gavin M. said:

Hopefully they update it so it could become a home for Telemundo Austin. The temporary set. So many English non-nbc O&O stations give up there temporary sets for Telemundo partners.

The temporary set is in a conference room. I don’t see it being kept around to be used by Telemundo Austin. Plus, they only have one control room so there’s no way they could do 2 shows live at the same time. 

11 hours ago, Greggo said:

The temporary set is in a conference room. I don’t see it being kept around to be used by Telemundo Austin. Plus, they only have one control room so there’s no way they could do 2 shows live at the same time. 

Hmm and Sinclair wouldn’t be interested in investing either, ahh. Telemundo Austin isn’t first place anyways Univision 62 leads the way. 

• 3 weeks later...

They’ve moved to the temp set, located in the station’s main conference room. Looks a bit dated, but not awful. One of the main anchors said in a Facebook Live that it will be 3 months until the new set is ready. And that’s even with them dismantling the old weather center (that hadn’t been seen on air in ages) and other areas of the studio ahead of time to speed things up. Apparently in the new set there will be “screens everywhere” with “lots of walking around.” Interested to see what Sinclair has cooked up. These folks deserve a nice set after hanging on to the old one for almost 2 decades. 

393A31F5-E573-472A-9961-697521FB02FA.jpeg

Edited by Greggo
  • Sad 1

On 9/22/2022 at 7:55 PM, Greggo said:

They’ve moved to the temp set, located in the station’s main conference room. Looks a bit dated, but not awful. One of the main anchors said in a Facebook Live that it will be 3 months until the new set is ready. And that’s even with them dismantling the old weather center (that hadn’t been seen on air in ages) and other areas of the studio ahead of time to speed things up. Apparently in the new set there will be “screens everywhere” with “lots of walking around.” Interested to see what Sinclair has cooked up. These folks deserve a nice set after hanging on to the old one for almost 2 decades. 

393A31F5-E573-472A-9961-697521FB02FA.jpeg

There old weather center is almost as old as their News department. It came in 1995, first as a tiny corner In there original rotating set. Then when that set was closed up in 2003 to get a facelift they didn’t get rid of the weather center and it never was completely redone it was a refreshed. The current weather center look has had a significant amount of updates since its 2004 refresh as the rest of the set was completely renovated was but the structural barebones of that weather center from 1995, still existed and still do today so hopefully this is a complete makeover torn down and rebuilt bare.

Edited by Gavin M.
  • Confused 2

• 4 months later...

Their building was for sale several years ago as a sale-leaseback. I always wondered if they wanted to stay there long-term or were looking for an exit strategy so they could move somewhere else. That probably also explains the 20-year-old set. Why update if you are looking for a way to get out of the building?

Edited by DirtyHarry

• 2 weeks later...

This thing is HIDEOUS. Very sterile. Could be popped into any market in the nation without a single tweak. Nothing about it says “Austin” or “Texas” 

F4C03A03-D0B2-44BE-8435-B87A59153A66.jpeg

320AA7E2-2B2E-46E4-B5AD-6A2CA0714459.jpeg

B6C58B13-BCA8-48BB-905D-520D3CE837E9.jpeg

67BC7303-9666-443F-9824-E1EF072E246A.jpeg

Edited by Greggo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thought-Provoking 2
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, Greggo said:

This thing is HIDEOUS. Very sterile. Could be popped into any market in the nation without a single tweak. Nothing about it says “Austin” or “Texas” 

Not only it's hideous, but it's also god-awful the worst set I've ever seen, and I've seen worst news sets. It's not KEYE and it's sure as hell it's not Austin.

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Greggo said:

That's what happens when you decide to go the Nexstar route and do all of your set builds in-house instead of outsourcing to a third party like in the past.

Quite a shame.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Yes... Unless Univision pulls off wins in some timeslots? I'm pretty sure KXAN dominates the big four.

KXAN is 1st but KVUE is right behind them- there one newscast I was told they win.  KEYE is beating KTBC in a few newscast.

This was discuss on another website.  I was shocked KEYE was making movement.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Thought Sinclair might have opened up the budget for a station in a rapidly-growing market like Austin, but money is tight across the board these days. To be fair, it does shoot a bit nicer than the wide-angle pics posted upthread—but it's still super boring and uninspired. Makes me wonder what else they did in the five months they were in the makeshift studio since there's no way this took that long to assemble. 

9 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

KEYE (42) deserves better than this. IMO, they should've stayed a CBS O&O station in the first place.

I'm sure CBS/Paramount wishes they could go back to 2007 and have hung on to the station (I wish I would have bought my house here back in 2007, too), but it was a much different landscape both in local TV and in Austin back then.

keye-1.png

keye-2.png

keye-3.png

keye-4.png

Edited by caliwxdude
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2