NBC chucking Chuck Todd from MTP?

ATLNewsExpert

The rumors keep growing so might as well make a thread right? With rumors over Savanah's long-ish absence from "TODAY", some say it could mean something more. That potentially being she or Kristen Welker could become the first female moderator since the position's inaugural holder Martha Roundtree. What do y'all think?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/8/28/savannah-guthrie-to-exit-today-show

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nbcs-meet-the-press-shakeup-puts-chuck-todd-in-jeopardy

4 minutes ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

The rumors keep growing so might as well make a thread right? With rumors over Savanah's long-ish absence from "TODAY", some say it could mean something more. That potentially being she or Kristen Welker could become the first female moderator since the position's inaugural holder Martha Roundtree. What do y'all think?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/8/28/savannah-guthrie-to-exit-today-show

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nbcs-meet-the-press-shakeup-puts-chuck-todd-in-jeopardy

If the rumors are true then good riddance to Chuck Todd. He's not a good moderator and asset to NBC. People on the left, right and center can't stand him. As for Guthrie, MTP would be a promotion for her and Craig Melvin can take her place as Co-Host with Hoda. But it's FTV Live, lets take it with a grain of salt. 

• Thanks 8

I dont take her long absence from the show as anything. Its the summer months and she has been at Today for over 10 years now I bet her vacation weeks are high now. Plus once September hits no vacation for sometime. Plus  if they were going to move Chuck Todd off of MTP why would they launch MTP Now with Chuck. Wouldnt they just launch  it without the MTP branding? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

If the rumors are true then good riddance to Chuck Todd. He's not a good moderator and asset to NBC. People on the left, right and center can't stand him.

Very true, obviously there won't be another Tim Russet who raised the bar for moderators, but there's just something about the fact that Todd undoubtedly lowered that same bar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speculation but I have to say I wondered what they might do next. NBC is known for making knee-jerk decisions based on ratings. GMA has become the winner across the board in recent months but not necessarily because of its own strength, but because Today is hemorrhaging viewers. MTP has fallen to 3rd place behind FTN and This Week. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, brianpr3 said:

Would savannah have to move to dc or will she be booking lots of Amtrak points 

I mean if George can do it she can too. He traveled back and fourth. For GMA and This Week. Ofc when he became breaking news anchor he moved the shotw to New York and split anchor roles with Martha doing it every other week. But she probably won’t get a breaking news role as that will be kept for Lester Holt while he stays hoe long he wants.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 8:46 AM, nickp said:

I miss Tim Russert and the days when Meet the Press was worth watching

Yup!

I don't think Savannah is necessarily the answer for MTP. Plus how legitimate are these rumors that she and Hoda don't get along? What is it about the culture of Today --and NBC News entirely-- that always has hosts leaving in controversy?

Kristen Welker wouldn't be bad. An outside face might also help the program.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 7:54 AM, MorningNews said:

Speculation but I have to say I wondered what they might do next. NBC is known for making knee-jerk decisions based on ratings. GMA has become the winner across the board in recent months but not necessarily because of its own strength, but because Today is hemorrhaging viewers. MTP has fallen to 3rd place behind FTN and This Week. 

They do have a history of knee-jerking (Ann Curry), but there has been VERY vocal disdain for Chuck Todd online all year. It seems like every Sunday he's trending on twitter and it's never anything good. Granted, it's Twitter, and the people who are fans of NBC/MSNBC are ideologically to the left much like the company. Biggest criticisms of Todd I've seen is that he's moved too far right or, as an attempt to not seem like a left-leaning shill, he's tried (unsuccessfully) to play Devil's advocate or be more "neutral."

I think he got too big for his britches as time went on. He might have been an ok choice initially as a replacement, but I think it's clearly time to move on. It's the same situation with Andrea Mitchell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

They do have a history of knee-jerking (Ann Curry), but there has been VERY vocal disdain for Chuck Todd online all year. It seems like every Sunday he's trending on twitter and it's never anything good. Granted, it's Twitter, and the people who are fans of NBC/MSNBC are ideologically to the left much like the company. Biggest criticisms of Todd I've seen is that he's moved too far right or, as an attempt to not seem like a left-leaning shill, he's tried (unsuccessfully) to play Devil's advocate or be more "neutral."

I think he got too big for his britches as time went on. He might have been an ok choice initially as a replacement, but I think it's clearly time to move on. It's the same situation with Andrea Mitchell.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into the Twitter complaints. There are many people out there who will cry “bias” if someone is the slightest bit critical of their ideological viewpoint (also, Twitter is home to a lot of sociopaths). That said, Chuck Todd just isn’t a good presenter or moderator, and can come off as pretentious at times. Like you said, he got too big for his britches.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...