Jump to content

NBC Considering Giving 10pm/9pm Back To Affiliates


Georgie56

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Wheeling was mentioned earlier.  All WTOV would have to do is simulcast their Fox 9.2 10pm show on 9.1.

 

And WFMJ may as well start a 10pm show on the CW to compete with the WKBN one.  All they would have to do is either simulcast or move it over to NBC when the time comes....

Yeah for WTOV, it would be easy for them. Just simulcast their 10pm news on both TOV and FOX9.2, and you're done.

 

But as for WFMJ, I agree that they should start a 10pm newscast on WBCB, but it took them over 20 years to start a 5pm newscast, if that's any indication on whether or not they actually will. 

Edited by tjt24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The most recent discussion is confirming that in many markets, there is already saturation of 10 pm newscasts. In some markets there are also 9 pm news broadcasts and not to mention regional "hyper local" cable news stations like Spectrum News, NY1, News 12, etc.  It begs for alternative programming on NBC affiliates.  How much news can a station put on?  NBC stations already broadcast newscasts at 4, 5, 6 and 11.  How many stories can be repurposed?  If NBC and other networks decide to pull a Fox and give up 10 pm, it begs for program suppliers to come up with some creative alternatives.  I'd be concerned about a talk show considering how Jay Leno flamed out very quickly at 10 years ago.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NowBergen said:

The most recent discussion is confirming that in many markets, there is already saturation of 10 pm newscasts. In some markets there are also 9 pm news broadcasts and not to mention regional "hyper local" cable news stations like Spectrum News, NY1, News 12, etc.  It begs for alternative programming on NBC affiliates.  How much news can a station put on?  NBC stations already broadcast newscasts at 4, 5, 6 and 11.  How many stories can be repurposed?  If NBC and other networks decide to pull a Fox and give up 10 pm, it begs for program suppliers to come up with some creative alternatives.  I'd be concerned about a talk show considering how Jay Leno flamed out very quickly at 10 years ago.  

I’m not sure why everyone thinks that if NBC gives back the 10pm hour to affiliates that the affiliates will continue to carry an 11pm news. Heck, I’m not even convinced they’ll carry a full hour of news at 10pm. I could see them doing news at 10pm and giving affiliates an option of running an abridged version of Top Story with Tom Llamas at 10:30pm, followed by The Tonight Show at 11pm. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’m not sure why everyone thinks that if NBC gives back the 10pm hour to affiliates that the affiliates will continue to carry an 11pm news. Heck, I’m not even convinced they’ll carry a full hour of news at 10pm. I could see them doing news at 10pm and giving affiliates an option of running an abridged version of Top Story with Tom Llamas at 10:30pm, followed by The Tonight Show at 11pm. 

That and why everyone assumes they will carry syndicated programming at 10pm.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not surprised that NBC will program 10PM On Chi, L&O do well in the 3 hour block. West Michigan has 3 10PM newscast 2 are just half hour newscast Fox17 goes from 10PM to 11:30PM. I remember when CW7 launched a 10PM newscast their slogan was news in half the time a dig at Fox17 they got rid of the slogan years ago.

 

I agree too much local news West Michigan doesn't have much news in a day to fill why I think 4PM news in this market isn't good in my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WHEN the other networks drop programming at 10/9, it could be a sea change, basically putting any network that does so on an equal footing with FOX & CW, and giving them a chance at that local advantage during that time slot. 

 

Once all the networks fall into line, that's when the 11/10p news could be history, and the late night programs move up to that time slot, or even earlier. 10/9 then becomes a universal news time across ALL of the networks, and established independents.

 

FOX may keep 11/10 them in the markets that do them, and they would get the advantage of having news on at that time, like they would have had before, an hour earlier.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I'm not surprised that NBC will program 10PM On Chi, L&O do well in the 3 hour block. West Michigan has 3 10PM newscast 2 are just half hour newscast Fox17 goes from 10PM to 11:30PM. I remember when CW7 launched a 10PM newscast their slogan was news in half the time a dig at Fox17 they got rid of the slogan years ago.

 

I agree too much local news West Michigan doesn't have much news in a day to fill why I think 4PM news in this market isn't good in my opinion.

 

I think they should do it like radio. Maybe 5 minutes of serious news at the top of the hour, the rest being like the Morning Zoo or a talk show. Talk, banter, in studio guests, whatever act is having a concert down at the local theater or arena, Jack Hanna with his animals, maybe a band.

 

I'd also hire a bunch of interns, give them iPhones and every time there's a car accident I would send them out to film all the gore. People love that stuff. Let the other channels do boring news, I'd do Action News 19 on if I we're running a station. Totally entertaining and sensational.

 

There was an article in the Dispatch this morning about some guy who got mad that Giant Eagle closed at 10:00 p.m. and rammed his stolen car through the front entrance. I'd put that on some kind of a carousel and loop it the entire day. Now that's good TV. LOL

 

 

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, tjt24 said:

Yeah for WTOV, it would be easy for them. Just simulcast their 10pm news on both TOV and FOX9.2, and you're done.

 

But as for WFMJ, I agree that they should start a 10pm newscast on WBCB, but it took them over 20 years to start a 5pm newscast, if that's any indication on whether or not they actually will. 

The Maag family is just trying to stay afloat in a market that's had its' population halved over 50 years. There's far too many radio stations in Youngstown and 1-2 too many TV stations. Even the Maags gave up on the city's lone daily newspaper. WFMJ's biggest weakness is the fact it remains locally owned; thanks to the M&A mania, WKBN-WYTV have the bigger advantage of economy of scale. WFMJ doesn't have the resources to compete with those two long-term, and even launching a 5pm news felt like their resources were being strained.

 

The better question to ask is when do the Maags throw in the towel with WFMJ and sell the NBC affiliation and station IP to Nexstar.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

The Maag family is just trying to stay afloat in a market that's had its' population halved over 50 years. 

 

I wish people would better be able to make the distinction between the city proper and the metro area / market. The population of Youngstown has been cut in half, maybe even more, but not the metro area. In 1970, the population of Metro Youngstown was 396,000; as of 2020, the metro area population is 357,000. So the population is down, but nowhere near drastic levels. (The population was actually up a little bit by 1990.)

22 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

The better question to ask is when do the Maags throw in the towel with WFMJ and sell the NBC affiliation and station IP to Nexstar.

Don't you think Tegna would be a better fit, given WFMJ's newspaper heritage? There are also economies of scale to be had that way. Hopefully the banksters will be shooed away and it can be back to business as usual.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

The better question to ask is when do the Maags throw in the towel with WFMJ and sell the NBC affiliation and station IP to Nexstar.

 

Considering that Nexstar owns the CBS (WKBN) and Fox (WYFX-LD) affiliates and operates the ABC affiliate (WYTV), they're going to want to find a different buyer.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mre29 said:

 

Considering that Nexstar owns the CBS (WKBN) and Fox (WYFX-LD) affiliates and operates the ABC affiliate (WYTV), they're going to want to find a different buyer.

 

The other issue being that I don't suppose Nexstar can actually buy anymore without selling off properties because they are at the cap.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: the idea of 10 PM news saturation, what if stations focused on a different area for a 10 PM newscast?  Independent WFMZ in the Philly DMA has news at 10:00 that competes with Fox 29 and Action News on PHL17, but being the fact that it's based in the Lehigh Valley, serves an entirely different purpose than does the aforementioned.  WFMZ also has the 10:30 "Berks Edition" which focuses mainly on Berks County, which is usually completely forgotten by the Philly stations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

Re: the idea of 10 PM news saturation, what if stations focused on a different area for a 10 PM newscast?  Independent WFMZ in the Philly DMA has news at 10:00 that competes with Fox 29 and Action News on PHL17, but being the fact that it's based in the Lehigh Valley, serves an entirely different purpose than does the aforementioned.  WFMZ also has the 10:30 "Berks Edition" which focuses mainly on Berks County, which is usually completely forgotten by the Philly stations.

 

There are cities in this market too far away for an over-the-air signal, Cambridge and Athens being among them. I don't know why the Columbus stations don't put up lptv translators and then feed some special content to those distant areas.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.