NBC Considering Giving 10pm/9pm Back To Affiliates

Georgie56

7 hours ago, JTT said:

The ratings are already low on these nights.  The networks have tried many different types of programming on these two nights and have not been successful.   Even if the ratings are geared towards older viewers, if the older viewers tune in, and if they can attract other viewers in addition to the older viewers, the total viewers might be more than whatever they're getting now.  Isn't the main goal of the networks is to get as many viewers to watch the programs that they put on the air?  

I understand it is also about making profit off of the programming.   This might be a way to argue that they can attract more viewers with the classic programs that put on the air.

My argument is that this is just like a retail store. If they're not open when you need them, and you're forced to go somewhere else, sooner or later you get out of the habit of going there. So if Kroger closes at 9:00, but Meijer's is open until midnight, you're going to get into the habit of going to Meijer's and Kroger's fades away for you.

Radio tried that. The argument is that they have so few listeners after 7:00 p.m. that it's not worth it to have live talent. You can see how relevant radio is everywhere except for the car anymore.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

My argument is that this is just like a retail store. If they're not open when you need them, and you're forced to go somewhere else, sooner or later you get out of the habit of going there. So if Kroger closes at 9:00, but Meijer's is open until midnight, you're going to get into the habit of going to Meijer's and Kroger's fades away for you.

Radio tried that. The argument is that they have so few listeners after 7:00 p.m. that it's not worth it to have live talent. You can see how relevant radio is everywhere except for the car anymore.

I generally agree, but I think radio was heading in that direction whether they had live talent or not. Musical artists, talk show hosts, and anything else that’s on the radio have never been more accessible, so most people (especially my age) aren’t going to consume content via an outdated medium unless we’re driving. Even then, I usually listen to either a podcast or my Spotify playlist. People are already “going somewhere else.”

I think NBC’s 10pm proposal is a symptom of a bigger problem. Other than live sports, I can’t remember the last time when there was an original show on one of the major networks that I actually wanted to watch. “Abbott Elementary” and “Ghosts” are pretty good, but most shows are either safe, unfunny comedies (the “Night Court” reboot,) cheesy crime dramas (most of the CBS schedule), or game shows. There’s also outright garbage like “Farmer Wants a Wife,” which is better fit for meme material than something I’d actually want to watch as a full series.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I generally agree, but I think radio was heading in that direction whether they had live talent or not. Musical artists, talk show hosts, and anything else that’s on the radio have never been more accessible, so most people (especially my age) aren’t going to consume content via an outdated medium unless we’re driving. Even then, I usually listen to either a podcast or my Spotify playlist. People are already “going somewhere else.”

I think NBC’s 10pm proposal is a symptom of a bigger problem. Other than live sports, I can’t remember the last time when there was an original show on one of the major networks that I actually wanted to watch. “Abbott Elementary” and “Ghosts” are pretty good, but most shows are either safe, unfunny comedies (the “Night Court” reboot,) cheesy crime dramas (most of the CBS schedule), or game shows. There’s also outright garbage like “Farmer Wants a Wife,” which is better fit for meme material than something I’d actually want to watch as a full series.

I totally agree that they've got the bigger problem of not having anything anybody wants to watch anymore and not having a clue how to create things people want to watch. 

• Like 6

There are many programs out there on many different networks, cable networks, digi-networks, and streaming services. It's a matter of what standards you are talking about.  At what level is the audience level too low to produce programs at a certain time?  I believe that the audience for network TV and every other platform will become so fragmented that they should continue to produce or maintain programming at certain hours, especially the 10pm slot.

• Like 2

Another reason that networks might not want to show legacy content on primetime is the royalties and stuff that actors may want. Yeah it could technically be cheaper than creating new shows, but if that is evened out by the millions of dollars they'd need to pay to protagonists X, Y, and Z, they might as well just keep on making new shows or repeating the ones from the current season. This is without counting that many networks' biggest hits were made by other production companies (Friends and Warner for example). That's more big bucks to give to broadcast the show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTT said:

When will NBC decide and announce what their plans are for the 10pm hour?

They shelved the idea several months ago.  It does not mean they or another of the Big 3 networks look to do this again.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:18 PM, The Frog said:

NBC dropping 10pm is still considered a 'real possibility' for the 2024-25 season.

Yet they are giving Dick Wolf another multiyear renewal for One Chicago and SVU (L&O and Organized Crime are still to new to earn that).  That causes an issue for NBC and its top producer.  Unless all 3 big networks do it, I doubt one will go alone, especially after NBC being burnt before.  With Paramount Global and Disney also belt tightening, it will be interesting to see if this actually happens.  

• Like 1