NBC Considering Giving 10pm/9pm Back To Affiliates

Georgie56

5 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Wheeling was mentioned earlier.  All WTOV would have to do is simulcast their Fox 9.2 10pm show on 9.1.

And WFMJ may as well start a 10pm show on the CW to compete with the WKBN one.  All they would have to do is either simulcast or move it over to NBC when the time comes....

Yeah for WTOV, it would be easy for them. Just simulcast their 10pm news on both TOV and FOX9.2, and you're done.

But as for WFMJ, I agree that they should start a 10pm newscast on WBCB, but it took them over 20 years to start a 5pm newscast, if that's any indication on whether or not they actually will. 

Edited by tjt24

The most recent discussion is confirming that in many markets, there is already saturation of 10 pm newscasts. In some markets there are also 9 pm news broadcasts and not to mention regional "hyper local" cable news stations like Spectrum News, NY1, News 12, etc.  It begs for alternative programming on NBC affiliates.  How much news can a station put on?  NBC stations already broadcast newscasts at 4, 5, 6 and 11.  How many stories can be repurposed?  If NBC and other networks decide to pull a Fox and give up 10 pm, it begs for program suppliers to come up with some creative alternatives.  I'd be concerned about a talk show considering how Jay Leno flamed out very quickly at 10 years ago.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NowBergen said:

The most recent discussion is confirming that in many markets, there is already saturation of 10 pm newscasts. In some markets there are also 9 pm news broadcasts and not to mention regional "hyper local" cable news stations like Spectrum News, NY1, News 12, etc.  It begs for alternative programming on NBC affiliates.  How much news can a station put on?  NBC stations already broadcast newscasts at 4, 5, 6 and 11.  How many stories can be repurposed?  If NBC and other networks decide to pull a Fox and give up 10 pm, it begs for program suppliers to come up with some creative alternatives.  I'd be concerned about a talk show considering how Jay Leno flamed out very quickly at 10 years ago.  

I’m not sure why everyone thinks that if NBC gives back the 10pm hour to affiliates that the affiliates will continue to carry an 11pm news. Heck, I’m not even convinced they’ll carry a full hour of news at 10pm. I could see them doing news at 10pm and giving affiliates an option of running an abridged version of Top Story with Tom Llamas at 10:30pm, followed by The Tonight Show at 11pm. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’m not sure why everyone thinks that if NBC gives back the 10pm hour to affiliates that the affiliates will continue to carry an 11pm news. Heck, I’m not even convinced they’ll carry a full hour of news at 10pm. I could see them doing news at 10pm and giving affiliates an option of running an abridged version of Top Story with Tom Llamas at 10:30pm, followed by The Tonight Show at 11pm. 

That and why everyone assumes they will carry syndicated programming at 10pm.

• Sad 1

I'm not surprised that NBC will program 10PM On Chi, L&O do well in the 3 hour block. West Michigan has 3 10PM newscast 2 are just half hour newscast Fox17 goes from 10PM to 11:30PM. I remember when CW7 launched a 10PM newscast their slogan was news in half the time a dig at Fox17 they got rid of the slogan years ago.

I agree too much local news West Michigan doesn't have much news in a day to fill why I think 4PM news in this market isn't good in my opinion.

• Like 1

WHEN the other networks drop programming at 10/9, it could be a sea change, basically putting any network that does so on an equal footing with FOX & CW, and giving them a chance at that local advantage during that time slot. 

Once all the networks fall into line, that's when the 11/10p news could be history, and the late night programs move up to that time slot, or even earlier. 10/9 then becomes a universal news time across ALL of the networks, and established independents.

FOX may keep 11/10 them in the markets that do them, and they would get the advantage of having news on at that time, like they would have had before, an hour earlier.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I'm not surprised that NBC will program 10PM On Chi, L&O do well in the 3 hour block. West Michigan has 3 10PM newscast 2 are just half hour newscast Fox17 goes from 10PM to 11:30PM. I remember when CW7 launched a 10PM newscast their slogan was news in half the time a dig at Fox17 they got rid of the slogan years ago.

I agree too much local news West Michigan doesn't have much news in a day to fill why I think 4PM news in this market isn't good in my opinion.

I think they should do it like radio. Maybe 5 minutes of serious news at the top of the hour, the rest being like the Morning Zoo or a talk show. Talk, banter, in studio guests, whatever act is having a concert down at the local theater or arena, Jack Hanna with his animals, maybe a band.

I'd also hire a bunch of interns, give them iPhones and every time there's a car accident I would send them out to film all the gore. People love that stuff. Let the other channels do boring news, I'd do Action News 19 on if I we're running a station. Totally entertaining and sensational.

There was an article in the Dispatch this morning about some guy who got mad that Giant Eagle closed at 10:00 p.m. and rammed his stolen car through the front entrance. I'd put that on some kind of a carousel and loop it the entire day. Now that's good TV. LOL

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tjt24 said:

Yeah for WTOV, it would be easy for them. Just simulcast their 10pm news on both TOV and FOX9.2, and you're done.

But as for WFMJ, I agree that they should start a 10pm newscast on WBCB, but it took them over 20 years to start a 5pm newscast, if that's any indication on whether or not they actually will. 

The Maag family is just trying to stay afloat in a market that's had its' population halved over 50 years. There's far too many radio stations in Youngstown and 1-2 too many TV stations. Even the Maags gave up on the city's lone daily newspaper. WFMJ's biggest weakness is the fact it remains locally owned; thanks to the M&A mania, WKBN-WYTV have the bigger advantage of economy of scale. WFMJ doesn't have the resources to compete with those two long-term, and even launching a 5pm news felt like their resources were being strained.

The better question to ask is when do the Maags throw in the towel with WFMJ and sell the NBC affiliation and station IP to Nexstar.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

The Maag family is just trying to stay afloat in a market that's had its' population halved over 50 years. 

I wish people would better be able to make the distinction between the city proper and the metro area / market. The population of Youngstown has been cut in half, maybe even more, but not the metro area. In 1970, the population of Metro Youngstown was 396,000; as of 2020, the metro area population is 357,000. So the population is down, but nowhere near drastic levels. (The population was actually up a little bit by 1990.)

22 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

The better question to ask is when do the Maags throw in the towel with WFMJ and sell the NBC affiliation and station IP to Nexstar.

Don't you think Tegna would be a better fit, given WFMJ's newspaper heritage? There are also economies of scale to be had that way. Hopefully the banksters will be shooed away and it can be back to business as usual.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

Considering that Nexstar owns the CBS (WKBN) and Fox (WYFX-LD) affiliates and operates the ABC affiliate (WYTV), they're going to want to find a different buyer.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mre29 said:

Considering that Nexstar owns the CBS (WKBN) and Fox (WYFX-LD) affiliates and operates the ABC affiliate (WYTV), they're going to want to find a different buyer.

The other issue being that I don't suppose Nexstar can actually buy anymore without selling off properties because they are at the cap.

• Like 5

Re: the idea of 10 PM news saturation, what if stations focused on a different area for a 10 PM newscast?  Independent WFMZ in the Philly DMA has news at 10:00 that competes with Fox 29 and Action News on PHL17, but being the fact that it's based in the Lehigh Valley, serves an entirely different purpose than does the aforementioned.  WFMZ also has the 10:30 "Berks Edition" which focuses mainly on Berks County, which is usually completely forgotten by the Philly stations.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

Re: the idea of 10 PM news saturation, what if stations focused on a different area for a 10 PM newscast?  Independent WFMZ in the Philly DMA has news at 10:00 that competes with Fox 29 and Action News on PHL17, but being the fact that it's based in the Lehigh Valley, serves an entirely different purpose than does the aforementioned.  WFMZ also has the 10:30 "Berks Edition" which focuses mainly on Berks County, which is usually completely forgotten by the Philly stations.

There are cities in this market too far away for an over-the-air signal, Cambridge and Athens being among them. I don't know why the Columbus stations don't put up lptv translators and then feed some special content to those distant areas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, JTT said:

Instead of cutting back on network programming, NBC should put more alternative programming or just put Dateline at 10pm hour.

An hour of true-crime investigation programming every night? Hard pass.

In fact, I doubt affiliates would like it, either.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, JTT said:

Instead of cutting back on network programming, NBC should put more alternative programming or just put Dateline at 10pm hour.

28 minutes ago, mre29 said:

An hour of true-crime investigation programming every night? Hard pass.

In fact, I doubt affiliates would like it, either.

If I wanted to watch Dateline I would watch it in syndication or on MyNetwork TV.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

If I wanted to watch Dateline I would watch it in syndication or on MyNetwork TV.

At the same time; there are cases where you can see it in syndication, on MyNet, Oxygen, True Crime Network, ID and the Peacock Dateline channel! 

• Like 1

The Jay Leno experiment years ago was a disaster.  NBC, when considering this, which is now tabled and not going to happen, was clear about returning the hour to local stations, not providing programming.  One consideration is that Dick Wolf successfully programs two full nights from 8-11 pm EST and are highly rated shows (granted that includes DVR viewing and streaming).  They have also had 10 pm success on other days.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

The Jay Leno experiment years ago was a disaster.  NBC, when considering this, which is now tabled and not going to happen, was clear about returning the hour to local stations, not providing programming.  One consideration is that Dick Wolf successfully programs two full nights from 8-11 pm EST and are highly rated shows (granted that includes DVR viewing and streaming).  They have also had 10 pm success on other days.  

The difference is though NBC wouldn't be adding a late night talk show in primetime, they'd just be moving the local news up an hour. Fox has had local news at 10 for years, so it's not implausible that it could work for NBC. 

I do agree that NBC will be at a disadvantage from CBS and ABC. 

All big three networks however need to consider this because it's clear they're struggling to fill programming.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Will NBC consider airing content from their movie and TV studio to fill the gap at 10PM?  A few years ago, NBC had the slogan, if you hadn't seen it, it's new to you.  Why not air classic shows on certain nights of the week with old shows and movies that they have?  They should do this on Friday and Saturday nights.  Then put more recent shows that have been off the air, put them at 10pm if needed.

NBC should make all the films and TV shows that are part of their studios available on peacocktv.

Edited by JTT
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, JTT said:

Why not air classic shows on certain nights of the week with old shows and movies that they have?  They should do this on Friday and Saturday nights.  Then put more recent shows that have been off the air, put them at 10pm if needed.

NBC should make all the films and TV shows that are part of their studios available on peacocktv.

I used to wonder why networks don't do this during off seasons.

The question with classics is, how will they hold up in the ratings against new episodes on other networks. That's why I think the elimination of 10pm might have to be on all three networks for it to work.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, JTT said:

Will NBC consider airing content from their movie and TV studio to fill the gap at 10PM?  A few years ago, NBC had the slogan, if you hadn't seen it, it's new to you.  Why not air classic shows on certain nights of the week with old shows and movies that they have?  They should do this on Friday and Saturday nights.  Then put more recent shows that have been off the air, put them at 10pm if needed.

old(er) shows mean old(er) viewers

• Like 2

The ratings are already low on these nights.  The networks have tried many different types of programming on these two nights and have not been successful.   Even if the ratings are geared towards older viewers, if the older viewers tune in, and if they can attract other viewers in addition to the older viewers, the total viewers might be more than whatever they're getting now.  Isn't the main goal of the networks is to get as many viewers to watch the programs that they put on the air?  

I understand it is also about making profit off of the programming.   This might be a way to argue that they can attract more viewers with the classic programs that put on the air.

• Like 2