NBC Considering Giving 10pm/9pm Back To Affiliates

Georgie56

1 hour ago, Glimmer said:

And I get the vibe ABC will rely on ABC News more rather than fully give up 10pm (they already produce a lot of summer/midseason filler for the network) 

I could see Nightline moving to that hour.

• Like 3

Why would any affiliate want that?  There are more potential viewers for local news at 10 than at 11; in the Central and Mountain time zones the news is more heavily watched at 10 than at 6.  No, I think NBC's affiliates will demand the time for themselves (NOTE: there's no such thing as the access rule anymore so Sunday night football could run past 10 without complaint; it is consistently THE number one show, period).  Now some NBC affiliates are going to have problems against established Fox-affiliate newscasts (such as WXIA against WAGA or WVTM against WBRC), but a powerhouse like WRAL should be OK.  CBS is saying it's not giving back 10--for now.  ABC may be the first of the two to follow NBC's lead.

• Sad 2

On 10/20/2022 at 11:28 AM, bpatrick said:

Why would any affiliate want that?  There are more potential viewers for local news at 10 than at 11; in the Central and Mountain time zones the news is more heavily watched at 10 than at 6.  No, I think NBC's affiliates will demand the time for themselves (NOTE: there's no such thing as the access rule anymore so Sunday night football could run past 10 without complaint; it is consistently THE number one show, period).  Now some NBC affiliates are going to have problems against established Fox-affiliate newscasts (such as WXIA against WAGA or WVTM against WBRC), but a powerhouse like WRAL should be OK.  CBS is saying it's not giving back 10--for now.  ABC may be the first of the two to follow NBC's lead.

I get why you'd think individual stations would want the 10 PM hour for their newscasts, but if (say) Sinclair or Tegna come down and put a program in that timeslot, they're not going to have that much of a choice. 

Perhaps the station-group produced programming could solve that issue with duopoly stations, where (hypothetically) the 10 PM newscast stays on FOX while the new program airs on the NBC affiliate. All else fails, split it half-and-half.

• Confused 2

I don't understand why this is so complicated!  If you're a Fox affiliate, it's almost a snowball's chance you-know-where that you're going to be running anything but local news at 10/9.  Now, imagine that you are the manager of an NBC affiliate.  Are you not going to want the potential revenue for a newscast that's sure to do better at 10 than at 11?  I certainly would.  And if NBC wants to move Fallon to 11:05 or keep him at 11:35,  or move SNL to 11, I don't care.  I'm sticking to my guns until I'm proven wrong.

2 hours ago, Superdude said:

The network stations should pull the 10/9 newscasts off the Fox stations.  Let the Fox stations invest in their own news departments or resort to old Coach reruns.

Sounds good till you realize the same company that owns that Big 4also owns That FOX or CW in the market as well. It is the situation at a lot more stations then you think or even realize and while the sentiment is in the right place the reality says it isn’t correct. 

Edited by ColumbusNewsFan
  • Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 2:32 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

If NBC really wants to cut an hour, do we really need FOUR hours of Today?

Yes, it's news and in the morning, but i'm sure the affiliates wouldn't mind getting an hour or two back in the AM.

Maybe ditch the 9am hour and make Hoda & Jenna it's own show.  Megyn Kelly should have spelled the end of that timeslot.

Hoda & Jenna's show can go as well. 

On 8/26/2022 at 5:49 PM, NowBergen said:

This worked so well last time.  Worse, many 10 pm shows are top rated shows.  Chicago Wednesdays and Law & Order Thursdays would become half days?  Bad idea.

As others have been mentioning, my concern with the elimination of the 10/9c hour (which I support) is the dissolution of show blocks like Dick Wolf's dramas. A negative is that the successful One Chicago Wednesday and Law and Order Thursday blocks would be split up. A positive is that strong shows would be spread out over several nights rather than just two watchable nights on NBC.

Plausible split compromise:

(NBC)

Tue: Chicago Med and Law & Order

Wed: Chicago Fire and Law & Order: SVU

Thu: Chicago PD and Law & Order: Organized Crime

CBS (if it cut 10 pm; placed in ways that don't compete with Wolf's NBC dramas).

Sunday: FBI & (whatever else, East NY perhaps)

Mon: FBI International & FBI Most Wanted

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Forgot to add but, how much longer wil networks be able to sustain three hours of new show episodes five to six nights a week? They already seem to be struggling with the 22 episode model. Broadcast seasons even take longer summer and christmas breaks now with random weeks of repeats. 

34 minutes ago, mre29 said:

If NBC wants to make this move work, they'll need to start putting new shows on Saturday nights again and not just use it for repeats and Dateline.

Sadly all the networks gave up on Saturday nights years ago.  I would not expect to ever see again a high rated night like when CBS had All in the Family, Bob Newhard Show (the original), Carol Burnett among other top rates Saturday night shows.  All the networks treat Sat nights as an afterthought for too long.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

Sadly all the networks gave up on Saturday nights years ago.  I would not expect to ever see again a high rated night like when CBS had All in the Family, Bob Newhard Show (the original), Carol Burnett among other top rates Saturday night shows.  All the networks treat Sat nights as an afterthought for too long.

Saturday night is the rerun and sports night these days. CBS and NBC are the only ones putting out new content that night.

4 minutes ago, MD TV said:

Also NBC shows SNL live in all timezones now, so showing new non-sports stuff in traditional primetime would be a problem in the western part of the country.

They have an occasional night Notre Dame game.  How do they handle that?  For all 3 networks and Fox, it seems they can only do any original Sat. night programming from January to late August.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

And that will be down to only CBS as they are Launching "Big Ten Saturday Night" Football in the fall next season.

I thought NBC was getting the night Big Ten game. CBS is getting the 3:30 game beginning in 2024 when their deal with the SEC expires. Maybe CBS does have it in 2023.

14 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I thought NBC was getting the night Big Ten game. CBS is getting the 3:30 game beginning in 2024 when their deal with the SEC expires. Maybe CBS does have it in 2023.

That is correct starting next year FOX got Noon Marquee game, CBS the 3:30 slot in 2024 they will have Big Ten and SEC games next year in 2023. NBC will have the Big Ten Primetime game.

10 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Uhh…SNL?

Ask NBC about that one. They want The Big Ten in Prime Time. Also to add to my previous comment with how some in the SNL cast is talking and with this happening in 2023… I’m thinking season 50 might be the wrap for SNL more and more.

Edited by ColumbusNewsFan
For clarity and added info.
  • Like 2

I fail to see what is so confusing about my thinking. Any NBC affiliate manager in his/her right mind would want to run local news at 10/9 because of the potentially larger audiences and revenues.  The only problem I could see would be on Saturdays if SNL were to move to 11/10 and, in the fall,  a football game was still in progress. What time would SNL start? Sundays, I think NBC affiliates would gladly let NFL games run over so they could inherit their large audiences.  Personally, I would be good with a 10 PM local newscast (after all, if I ran a station in the Central or Mountain time zones I'd have one anyway).  And I don't give a rip what NBC does with Fallon.

It won't surprise me if, within the next decade or so, NBC is streaming the majority of its programming on Peacock, and all this is going to be a moot point.  I am thoroughly convinced that, although I may not live to see it, daytime and prime time entertainment shows will go online just as the network radio shows of the '30s, '40s, and early '50s moved either to television or off the air altogether.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bpatrick said:

The only problem I could see would be on Saturdays if SNL were to move to 11/10 and, in the fall,  a football game was still in progress. What time would SNL start?

It would just air in it’s entirety after the game and the local news. Just like now.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bpatrick said:

The only problem I could see would be on Saturdays if SNL were to move to 11/10 and, in the fall,  a football game was still in progress. What time would SNL start?

Obviously a totally different situation, but a USFL game was moved to CNBC at 11 sharp to avoid local news and SNL this year

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, bpatrick said:

It won't surprise me if, within the next decade or so, NBC is streaming the majority of its programming on Peacock...

Except, of course, that it won't be called Peacock.

It'll be called NBC.

(Okay, maybe NBC+.)

On 10/25/2022 at 4:24 PM, Georgie56 said:

Saturday night is the rerun and sports night these days. CBS and NBC are the only ones putting out new content that night.

Lisa: All right! It's time for ABC's "TGIF" line-up!

Bart: Lis, when you get a little older, you'll learn that Friday is just another day between NBC's "Must See Thursday" and CBS' "Saturday Night Craporama".

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, bpatrick said:

I fail to see what is so confusing about my thinking. Any NBC affiliate manager in his/her right mind would want to run local news at 10/9 because of the potentially larger audiences and revenues.  The only problem I could see would be on Saturdays if SNL were to move to 11/10 and, in the fall,  a football game was still in progress. What time would SNL start? Sundays, I think NBC affiliates would gladly let NFL games run over so they could inherit their large audiences.  Personally, I would be good with a 10 PM local newscast (after all, if I ran a station in the Central or Mountain time zones I'd have one anyway).  And I don't give a rip what NBC does with Fallon.

It won't surprise me if, within the next decade or so, NBC is streaming the majority of its programming on Peacock, and all this is going to be a moot point.  I am thoroughly convinced that, although I may not live to see it, daytime and prime time entertainment shows will go online just as the network radio shows of the '30s, '40s, and early '50s moved either to television or off the air altogether.

On the subject of cutting/trimming and SNL, why is that show still 90 minutes long? An hour is fine. SNL has about two or three strong sketches with a lot of misses in between. Not to mention sketches have to drag on way past their punchline or weaker bits make it to tv to fill air time. All this on top of constant commercials.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Sad 1