NBC Considering Giving 10pm/9pm Back To Affiliates

Georgie56

4 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

The channels on Pluto TV, which is FREE look better than channels they want you to pay 150 bucks for with the cable subscription. 

That in itself says a whole lot.....unless that was the goal in the first place. 

Pluto TV, XUMO, Tubi, Live TV from The Roku Channel, Peacock, Stirr, Distro TV, Plex.

They all offer "Live TV" channels inside their apps and most channels are just as equal or miles better than what you get on cable. The only downside to that is live sports, that you still need cable for. Lmao.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Pluto TV, XUMO, Tubi, Live TV from The Roku Channel, Peacock, Stirr, Distro TV, Plex.

They all offer "Live TV" channels inside their apps and most channels are just as equal or miles better than what you get on cable. The only downside to that is live sports, that you still need cable for. Lmao.

No, there's another downside, though it's more of a hardware issue than anything: The streaming remote used to peruse those services often lack number buttons, effectively forcing you to use the program guide or flip from channel to channel just to get to the one you want to watch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, AdamTheJ said:

A thought occurred to me today, is NBC attempting to air the West Coast version of NBC Nightly News on the East Coast, just like it airs the East Coast version on the West?

If so it would be tape delayed….because the West Coast version airs at 6:30 PT (right?) and prime time wouldn’t be over til a half hour later even if they ended it a half hour later.

Edited by Nelson R.

8 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

If so it would be tape delayed….because the West Coast version airs at 6:30 PT (right?) and prime time wouldn’t be over til a half hour later even if they ended it a half hour later.

In my market, all three network news shows air at 5:30 PT, (sandwiched between local newscasts), and they’re usually “west coast updates.”

28 minutes ago, AKA said:

In my market, all three network news shows air at 5:30 PT, (sandwiched between local newscasts), and they’re usually “west coast updates.”

Yeah it wouldn’t be worth it. Might as well air a live newscast at 10 ET if they’re gonna go that route.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Yeah it wouldn’t be worth it. Might as well air a live newscast at 10 ET if they’re gonna go that route.

But now some west coast stations are doing at 6:30 airing national programs that might be the real live west coast edition. Do you still might get a tepee show at 5:30pm. Are you in Seattle?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gavin M. said:

But now some west coast stations are doing at 6:30 airing national programs that might be the real live west coast edition. Do you still might get a tepee show at 5:30pm. Are you in Seattle?

No I’m near Charlotte. 

Edited by Nelson R.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Here in seattle nighlt airs at 6pm. But lot of west coast stations are nightly at 5:30p minus LA markets 

And San Francisco I’d starting to move to 6:40 never understood the 5:30 P.M. the Spanish stations make all stations airing in the west at 6:30.

5 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Now could they consider moving Nightly News to 10? That would make everybody, the viewers and the affiliates (aka O&O management) happy.

I believe that most of us on this forum can see NBC moving Nightly News to 10/9c and formatting it similar to CBC's The National.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:10 PM, newsteam13 said:

And if NBC was to give up its 10pm/9pm central time slot: NBC Nightly News at 10pm/9pm and local newscast at the 10:30pm/9:30pm. Giving viewers a head start on a good night's sleep. 

Something I’ve been thinking the past few days: Keep Nightly News at 6:30, but add a 30 minute prime time newscast at 10:30 after local news at 10. If that is done, hopefully Nightly News isn’t rushed and more time can be given for different stories. Also, big breaking news event or just a major event of the day, push the Tonight Show back by 10, 15+ minutes. For the State Funeral of The Queen, BBC News at 10 was an hour long. 

2 hours ago, EVVTV12 said:

Something I’ve been thinking the past few days: Keep Nightly News at 6:30, but add a 30 minute prime time newscast at 10:30 after local news at 10. If that is done, hopefully Nightly News isn’t rushed and more time can be given for different stories. Also, big breaking news event or just a major event of the day, push the Tonight Show back by 10, 15+ minutes. For the State Funeral of The Queen, BBC News at 10 was an hour long. 

Telemundo did that in the 90s it was so successful it only lasted 11 months before reverting back. But no it did but NBC needs to keep in mind the FOX affiliates. Again simulcasting for stations that produce 10pm news on other stations well I guess it could work never mind.

On 9/25/2022 at 1:00 PM, JCB4TV said:

I believe that most of us on this forum can see NBC moving Nightly News to 10/9c and formatting it similar to CBC's The National.

Than more news or Jimmy at 11pm but west coast editions go away then. I’m talking 6:30 there.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Gavin M. said:

Than more news or Jimmy at 11pm but west coast editions go away then. I’m talking 6:30 there.

For this (Nightly News at 10pm) to work, the West Coast edition as seen on KNBC and KNSD would need to be scrapped and the regular version aired on time-delay. It would integrate nicely thanks to those two stations having 11pm local newscasts. 

Edited by TheSpeedKing
  • Confused 1

On 10/2/2022 at 10:13 AM, TheSpeedKing said:

For this (Nightly News at 10pm) to work, the West Coast edition as seen on KNBC and KNSD would need to be scrapped and the regular version aired on time-delay. It would integrate nicely thanks to those two stations having 11pm local newscasts. 

In most cases, that would be good to have a 3 hour delayed Nightly News at 10:00. If there is really big news, they could have a special live one produced at 10:00 PT (1:00 ET).

If local news started at 10:30 pm (9:30 pm CT) or 10:35 pm (9:35 pm CT), they could have an hour-long late news or some other special if the 11:00 pm (10:00 pm CT) half hour stayed with affiliates. Otherwise, late night shows starting at 11:05 pm (10:05 pm CT)? (My preference would be 1 hour with affiliates, from 10:35 to 11:35, for hour-long late newscasts or news/sports shows or the like).

Edited by GoldenShine9
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, noggi said:

This would be an awesome chance for some great local prime time programming. But I’m sure we will just see a ton of very mediocre local newscasts. 

Some of us are old enough to remember when the networks gave up the 7:30 pm time slot to local stations.  Look what we got instead!  I imagine the hour will be filled with some news and Extra/Access and other type of shows.

15 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Is this actually happening or there’s still speculation? 

The statement NBCU/Comcast said in a presentation this week was that is it under evaluation.  Lot's of "done deal" speculation is out there.  I would imagine it gets complicated as they have to deal with the producers of 10 pm shows, especially Dick Wolf who would lose two hours of content.  Would it mean Saturday becomes appointment TV like it was in the days of All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore and Carol Burnett?  That ship sank decades ago.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

The statement NBCU/Comcast said in a presentation this week was that is it under evaluation.  Lot's of "done deal" speculation is out there.  I would imagine it gets complicated as they have to deal with the producers of 10 pm shows, especially Dick Wolf who would lose two hours of content.  Would it mean Saturday becomes appointment TV like it was in the days of All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore and Carol Burnett?  That ship sank decades ago.

Wolf and NBC have a partnership that has lasted more than 3 decades and I'm certain the two can work something out that benefits them both. The Chicago shows and SVU are in the last (of a 3 yr) renewal deal so discussions/renew talks about those shows were going to happen anyway. 

What I could see happening is dramas having shorter seasons (which wouldn't be a bad thing).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1