NBC Considering Giving 10pm/9pm Back To Affiliates

Georgie56

32 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Simulcasting Is a terrible idea for the viewer and shows how greedy you are as a company. Also, I would ask WBRE/WYOU, WJXX/WTLV, WICU/WSEE, and WJAX/WFOX how simulcasting "helps" their ratings. It doesn't. 

One would be naive to think that station owners aren’t already greedy. Why do you think stations have news at 3pm now?

Also, you’re focused on ratings when the driving factor (for the local affiliates, at least) is ad revenue. As many have pointed out many times now, local ad revenue is just as important to stations as ratings. I’m not saying that news expansion is a good thing from a creative/journalistic point of view (I hate it as much as the next person), but it makes sense from a business standpoint.

32 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Fox would still be upset if their newscast is simulcast with an NBC Station. Count on it. 

And why the heck would NBC care what Fox thinks? Is there a rule that prevents NBC from upsetting Fox? If NBC can take away viewers from Fox stations at 10pm, all the more reason to do it.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, TheRob said:

The cost-cutting is inevitable. If NBC drops an hour, everyone else will too.

I doubt the scenario of shifting the late-night line-up 30-60 minutes is realistic.

No way will SNL move up an hour but I don't see why the tonight show wouldn't, and get a 35 minute jump on cbs and abc.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

One would be naive to think that station owners aren’t already greedy. Why do you think stations have news at 3pm now?

Also, you’re focused on ratings when the driving factor (for the local affiliates, at least) is ad revenue. As many have pointed out many times now, local ad revenue is just as important to stations as ratings. I’m not saying that news expansion is a good thing from a creative/journalistic point of view (I hate it as much as the next person), but it makes sense from a business standpoint.

And why the heck would NBC care what Fox thinks? Is there a rule that prevents NBC from upsetting Fox? If NBC can take away viewers from Fox stations at 10pm, all the more reason to do it.

We are getting to a point where the local news bubble will burst and stations will be going off the air or sold to other groups. Many people aren't watching local news and it shows in many markets. Just to add a newscast for ad revenue is ,and will always be, wrong. That is one of the reasons why groups like the GOP (which I can't stand in its own right) want nothing to do with media these days is because the Station Owner CEOs are only in it for the conflict and money. It hurts journalism integrity/viewership even more when you see statements like this from Sinclair CEO Chris Ripley. https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/5/19/2098963/-Sinclair-Broadcast-Group-CEO-says-a-politically-divided-America-is-very-good-for-our-business

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, nickp said:

ER was the number 1 show in the country three different years for NBC in that 10 PM slot with 30 million viewers a night

...and that was a couple of decades ago.  Irrelevant.

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Well, I don't. NBC does this, it's going to lose viewership and ratings at the 10pm/9pm slot.

Well viewership is a losing battle that they'll never win.  It's a streaming world whether you like it or not, the networks need adapt so they don't get left behind.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

On one hand it would be nice to have a pretty universal alternative to the FOX station doing news at 10/9.

On the other hand, it may be a blow to the FOX stations that have been doing this since the beginning of time, and cause quite a problem when the NBC station is the one that is doing the FOX newscast, places like Pittsburgh and Raleigh.  

Well those Fox affiliates would have to figure something else or actually start a news division or "news central" it with their ownership group.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think most affiliates would prefer to do an hour at 9/10 and keep the 35-minute show at 10/11. Several Fox stations already do this. (In fact, WAGA goes from 10 to midnight.)  If someone is watching ABC or CBS prime and prefers the late news on the NBC station they’d have to make a tough choice. Same goes for if they watch local news on the CBS or ABC station and then like to switch over to Fallon. Another tough choice. 

Also, re: the list above … KABB and WOAI may be a duopoly but KABB produces its own 9p news with its own anchor team on its own set. The two already compete against each other in the mornings so this wouldn’t be anything new. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greggo said:

Also, re: the list above … KABB and WOAI may be a duopoly but KABB produces its own 9p news with its own anchor team on its own set. The two already compete against each other in the mornings so this wouldn’t be anything new. 

I'm aware of that (that happens in other markets as well) however, I put it there because many of the same reporters are used at both stations. This is Sinclair we are talking about so the separate newscast can go away at any time. 

4 hours ago, Superdude said:

Since tonight and late night are both taped they should have an 11pm and 11:35 feed and let the stations choose.  On CBS y&r has the 11am (12et) and 12:30pm feeds.

That's not a bad idea. Have two feeds, let the affiliates choose.

• Like 4

Another problem...

For the SSA/JSA stations in a market that are already "maxed out" with content under the 15 percent rule.  They can't add another hour of news without taking away from another timeslot.

Then again, that may force them to merge their programming off the shell station onto the owned station's spectrum as a subchannel, much like the many Cunningham stations have done onto their Sinclair counterparts.

10 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

They're not the only ones doing lazy programming, ABC will be airing 4 hours of Bachelor in Paradise this fall and CBS has always relied on cookie-cutter acronym procedurals for the last couple decades. 

And lest we forget that ABC has basically turned their Sunday nights into a reboot of old game shows that the network aired in DAYTIME 30-40 years ago!

CBS too, with bringing LMAD back to replace Guiding Light.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

These East Coast/Midwest NBC Stations already have 10 PM newscasts on other Networks.

WXIA for MyNetwork Affiliate WATL (Atlanta) [TEGNA]
WFLA for MyNetwork Affiliate WTTA (Tampa) [Nexstar]

WRAL for Fox Affiliate WRAZ (Raleigh) [Capital]

WAVY-TV for Fox Affiliate WVBT (Hampton Roads) [Nexstar]

WICU for CW Affiliate WSEE dot 2 (Erie) [Lilly]

WESH for CW Affiliate WKCF (Orlando) [Hearst]

WBAL-TV for MeTV subchannel (Baltimore) [Hearst]

WPXI for Fox Affiliate WPGH -TV (Pittsburgh) [Cox/Sinclair]

WOAI-TV for Fox Affiliate KABB-TV (San Antonio) [Sinclair]

KSHB for Independent KMCI-TV (Kansas City) [Scripps]

WWBT for Fox Affiliate WRLH (Richmond) [Gray/Sinclair]

KXAN for CW Affiliate KNVA (Austin) [Nexstar]

WPTV for Fox Affiliate WFLX (West Palm Beach) [Scripps]

WXII for CW Affiliate WCWG (Greensboro) [Hearst]

KFOR for Independent KAUT-TV (Oklahoma City) [Nexstar]

WBIR for Fox Affiliate WTNZ (Knoxville) [TEGNA/Lockwood]

WNYT for MyNetwork Affiliate WNYA (Albany) [Hubbard]

WDTN for CW Affiliate WBDT (Dayton) [Nexstar]

WGBA for Independent WACY-TV (Green Bay) [Scripps]

WTOV for Fox Subchannel WTOV dot 2 {FOX 9} (Wheeling) [Sinclair]

There are probably more so let me know what I missed. Bottom line is that these stations have a decision to make if NBC goes through with this.

WLWT for MeTV subchannel (Cincinnati) [Hearst]

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

That's not a bad idea. Have two feeds, let the affiliates choose.

13 hours ago, Superdude said:

Since tonight and late night are both taped they should have an 11pm and 11:35 feed and let the stations choose.  On CBS y&r has the 11am (12et) and 12:30pm feeds.

WBTV would probably choose the 11:35 feed if CBS decided to cut an hour of primetime and did this. On Fridays during football season they could air Football Friday Night from 11-11:35. WCNC might choose the 11pm feed if NBC did it since their ratings are lower at 11pm and might want to offer an alternative.

Edited by Nelson R.
Specified that this was a hypothetical if CBS decided to cut an hour of primetime. Well aware that WBTV is CBS and WCNC is NBC.

52 minutes ago, bpatrick said:

WBTV is a CBS affiliate.  WCNC is the NBC affiliate in Charlotte.

Yeah but I’m just saying if CBS decided to cut an hour of primetime, WBTV might choose the 11:35 feed The poster pointed out that CBS is the one that offers dual Y&R feeds so they might do the same with the Late Show if they decided to cut an hour of primetime. Sorry for the confusion. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 2

I said months ago the television networks should consider doing this and I'm surprised it's actually under serious consideration. 

As much as I'm not one to advocate for more news on station lineups, I support this proposition. The terrestrial channels have been struggling for about the last decade in primetime. 

The difference between cable, streaming and broadcast, is that the first two can put out a show when they have something good. Broadcast must fill three hours of prime time Sunday through Thursday leading to several crappy shows getting the green light. (To be fair Netflix and cable have their fair share of misses).

To avoid another Leno situation, I think it's best that all big three networks switch to a 10 PM ET/ 9CT newscast and move the late-night talk shows up to either 10:35 or 11 PM ET. If it's industry wide, then audiences will have to adapt.

Perhaps the late night talk shows such as Fallon or very late night like Corden *MIGHT*  get higher TV viewership because they're on earlier.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

It was pointed out that Universal Television wouldn't be happy with having fewer slots to sell shows to NBC in. I'm sure a lot of Hollywood types would need to be pacified as well...

(Then again, none of them had any advance knowledge of The WB and UPN joining forces!)

• Like 5

I guess I’ll ask this question: Has NBC considered moving Nightly News to 10 instead? From my understanding, the US is really the only country where a major broadcaster doesn’t carry a nightly evening newscast in prime time. 

• Like 7

Just now, detroiter313 said:

I wonder what's the reaction will be not only for the Fox affiliates, but also the independent stations as they also program local news at 10PM (ET/PT) or 9PM (CT/MT).

The independent stations could just move theirs back to 9pm/8pm. 

1 hour ago, EVVTV12 said:

I guess I’ll ask this question: Has NBC considered moving Nightly News to 10 instead? From my understanding, the US is really the only country where a major broadcaster doesn’t carry a nightly evening newscast in prime time. 

They probably should air it at 10 and make it hourlong, and they already replay it at 10 on NBC News Now. Doing so would guarantee a monopoly on national news at this time.

2 hours ago, channel2 said:

It was pointed out that Universal Television wouldn't be happy with having fewer slots to sell shows to NBC in. I'm sure a lot of Hollywood types would need to be pacified as well...

(Then again, none of them had any advance knowledge of The WB and UPN joining forces!)

They sell shows to themselves?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EVVTV12 said:

Not that a national newscast at 10 PM is implausible, but Nightly News is a fixture in the evenings after work. It fits its time slot. Would we want to mess with that?

Edited by iron_lion

On 8/26/2022 at 3:11 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

It’s a bit ironic that NBC is the first traditional “Big Three” network that is rumored to want to do this. Ed Ansin must be smiling from the Great Beyond and thinking, “I told you so.”

This move would make sense for both sides. The networks see streaming as their most important commodity, while the affiliates view local news in the same regard due to the ad revenue. The networks can focus on their OTT platforms, while the local affiliates can focus on pumping out more local content.

Ed Andik might have the last laugh.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:02 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

I'm aware of that (that happens in other markets as well) however, I put it there because many of the same reporters are used at both stations. This is Sinclair we are talking about so the separate newscast can go away at any time. 

I’ll probably my happen here in Raleigh too WRAL/WRAZ.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:24 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

These East Coast/Midwest NBC Stations already have 10 PM newscasts on other Networks.

WXIA for MyNetwork Affiliate WATL (Atlanta) [TEGNA]
WFLA for MyNetwork Affiliate WTTA (Tampa) [Nexstar]

WRAL for Fox Affiliate WRAZ (Raleigh) [Capital]

WAVY-TV for Fox Affiliate WVBT (Hampton Roads) [Nexstar]

WICU for CW Affiliate WSEE dot 2 (Erie) [Lilly]

WESH for CW Affiliate WKCF (Orlando) [Hearst]

WBAL-TV for MeTV subchannel (Baltimore) [Hearst]

WPXI for Fox Affiliate WPGH -TV (Pittsburgh) [Cox/Sinclair]

WOAI-TV for Fox Affiliate KABB-TV (San Antonio) [Sinclair]

KSHB for Independent KMCI-TV (Kansas City) [Scripps]

WWBT for Fox Affiliate WRLH (Richmond) [Gray/Sinclair]

KXAN for CW Affiliate KNVA (Austin) [Nexstar]

WPTV for Fox Affiliate WFLX (West Palm Beach) [Scripps]

WXII for CW Affiliate WCWG (Greensboro) [Hearst]

KFOR for Independent KAUT-TV (Oklahoma City) [Nexstar]

WBIR for Fox Affiliate WTNZ (Knoxville) [TEGNA/Lockwood]

WNYT for MyNetwork Affiliate WNYA (Albany) [Hubbard]

WDTN for CW Affiliate WBDT (Dayton) [Nexstar]

WGBA for Independent WACY-TV (Green Bay) [Scripps]

WTOV for Fox Subchannel WTOV dot 2 {FOX 9} (Wheeling) [Sinclair]

WLWT for MeTV subchannel (Cincinnati) [Hearst]

WGAL for MeTV Subchannel (Harrisburg) [Hearst]

There are probably more so let me know what I missed. Bottom line is that these stations have a decision to make if NBC goes through with this.

Fox isn’t going to allow cross simulcast newscast so WRAL will have an affiliate change basically every FOX station might have to be cancelled or be in their own.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1