NBC Considering Giving 10pm/9pm Back To Affiliates

Georgie56

It’s a bit ironic that NBC is the first traditional “Big Three” network that is rumored to want to do this. Ed Ansin must be smiling from the Great Beyond and thinking, “I told you so.”

This move would make sense for both sides. The networks see streaming as their most important commodity, while the affiliates view local news in the same regard due to the ad revenue. The networks can focus on their OTT platforms, while the local affiliates can focus on pumping out more local content.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

I thought they learned their lesson with "The Jay Leno Show"?

Leno was just an attempt to cheap out while keeping the timeslot. This sounds more like a scorched earth strategy, and one that's a million times more attractive to the affiliates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasTVNews said:

Well, I don't. NBC does this, it's going to lose viewership and ratings at the 10pm/9pm slot.

A lot of people barely watch anything but 10pm evergreen content such as the L&Overse and Blue Bloods. The timeslot has been dying since it became the 'DVR catch-up' slot, and it's nothing now with streaming. Most nights it's just filled with Dateline episodes and obviously the Big Ten Saturday night slot and SNF aren't included by contractual force

Funny that they're doing this now when WHDH had the right idea thirteen years ago to try to dump it for news.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

Well, I don't. NBC does this, it's going to lose viewership and ratings at the 10pm/9pm slot.

People are thinking this is going to be another Leno deal. I think local news moves to 10 and the late night talk shows move up a half hour. Broadcast TV is dying.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Sad 2

Would you think many NBC affiliates would want to start/move a 10 PM newscast after hearing this? Many affiliates have newscasts already on sister stations (Especially FOX). I can see FOX getting very upset  at NBC for doing this.   

I can see WPXI taking its newscast away from WPGH/Sinclair to air on its own channel but it wouldn't be as easy in some cases if an owner has both an NBC and a Fox station.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Would you think many NBC affiliates would want to start/move a 10 PM newscast after hearing this. Many affiliates have newscasts already on sister stations (Especially FOX). I can see FOX getting very upset  at NBC for doing this.

In the case of WRAL it might not be a great move. They already have a 10:00 news on Fox 50. It could be simulcast though.

In Charlotte it would presumably upset the balance of three 10s and 3 11s, as WCNC’s would likely move to 10pm.

Still it seems inevitable. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On one hand it would be nice to have a pretty universal alternative to the FOX station doing news at 10/9.

On the other hand, it may be a blow to the FOX stations that have been doing this since the beginning of time, and cause quite a problem when the NBC station is the one that is doing the FOX newscast, places like Pittsburgh and Raleigh.  

• Thanks 2

This is what happens when there is no innovation or creativity, you become a distant memory. This is the network that built Must See TV, now they are crumbling and shifting their efforts to Peacock. 

Currently, NBC has 6 hours of Dick Wolf, they air The Voice twice a year, and they have no comedy hits. The kids have gone to streaming or You-Tubing, leaving only the oldies watching broadcasting/cable. It's obvious that the next generation of viewers no longer sees broadcasting television as relevant. 

They're not the only ones doing lazy programming, ABC will be airing 4 hours of Bachelor in Paradise this fall and CBS has always relied on cookie-cutter acronym procedurals for the last couple decades. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

They could’ve kept Dancing With the Stars on linear…

Totally, but I'm guessing they're trying to attract more subscribers for Disney. ABC has been on the same track with the lack of creativity; they recently had a spin-off for The Goldbergs that only lasted 2 seasons, they are about the launch one for The Rookie this fall and they are branching out with The Good Doctor with a backdoor pilot this coming season. 

• Like 2

I think it makes great sense.  In the Central time zone people are more likely to watch the news at 10 than at 6, and

given that many people in the Eastern and Pacific time zones aren't home at 6 they can catch the news at a more

convenient time.  I know of Fox stations (including one of my two, WGHP) that think a 10:00 newscast is the best

thing that ever happened to them; Fox outlet WBRC in Birmingham, with a 9:00 news, registers in the range of 60

shares.

When the access rule was first proposed, there was a  debate about whether primetime would be 7:30-10:30 or

8-11 (ET/PT).  One fear was that if primetime ended at 10:30, the networks would expand their late-night talk

shows to two hours, starting at 11/10.  (The networks opted for an 8/7 start mainly because they could run

more demographically desirable programs from 10-11.)  My point here is that I don't know if NBC would move

Jimmy Fallon to 11:05, giving him a half-hour's head start on Colbert and Kimmel, but anything is possible.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

In the case of WRAL it might not be a great move. They already have a 10:00 news on Fox 50. It could be simulcast though.

In Charlotte it would presumably upset the balance of three 10s and 3 11s, as WCNC’s would likely move to 10pm.

Still it seems inevitable. 

These East Coast/Midwest NBC Stations already have 10 PM newscasts on other Networks.

WXIA for MyNetwork Affiliate WATL (Atlanta) [TEGNA]
WFLA for MyNetwork Affiliate WTTA (Tampa) [Nexstar]

WRAL for Fox Affiliate WRAZ (Raleigh) [Capital]

WAVY-TV for Fox Affiliate WVBT (Hampton Roads) [Nexstar]

WICU for CW Affiliate WSEE dot 2 (Erie) [Lilly]

WESH for CW Affiliate WKCF (Orlando) [Hearst]

WBAL-TV for MeTV subchannel (Baltimore) [Hearst]

WPXI for Fox Affiliate WPGH -TV (Pittsburgh) [Cox/Sinclair]

WOAI-TV for Fox Affiliate KABB-TV (San Antonio) [Sinclair]

KSHB for Independent KMCI-TV (Kansas City) [Scripps]

WWBT for Fox Affiliate WRLH (Richmond) [Gray/Sinclair]

KXAN for CW Affiliate KNVA (Austin) [Nexstar]

WPTV for Fox Affiliate WFLX (West Palm Beach) [Scripps]

WXII for CW Affiliate WCWG (Greensboro) [Hearst]

KFOR for Independent KAUT-TV (Oklahoma City) [Nexstar]

WBIR for Fox Affiliate WTNZ (Knoxville) [TEGNA/Lockwood]

WNYT for MyNetwork Affiliate WNYA (Albany) [Hubbard]

WDTN for CW Affiliate WBDT (Dayton) [Nexstar]

WGBA for Independent WACY-TV (Green Bay) [Scripps]

WTOV for Fox Subchannel WTOV dot 2 {FOX 9} (Wheeling) [Sinclair]

WLWT for MeTV subchannel (Cincinnati) [Hearst]

WGAL for MeTV Subchannel (Harrisburg) [Hearst]

There are probably more so let me know what I missed. Bottom line is that these stations have a decision to make if NBC goes through with this.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

These East Coast/Midwest NBC Stations already have 10 PM newscasts on other Networks.

There are probably more so let me know what I missed. Bottom line is that these stations have a decision to make if NBC goes through with this.

WXII for CW WCWG (Greensboro) (Hearst)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

On the other hand, it may be a blow to the FOX stations that have been doing this since the beginning of time, and cause quite a problem when the NBC station is the one that is doing the FOX newscast, places like Pittsburgh and Raleigh.  

Thing is, why would NBC and their stations care? If anything, they would want to take away from Fox’s prime time news audience. Besides, there’s no guarantee of it being a blow to every Fox station either (see: KTVU, WTVT, KDFW), and more local news competition can’t be too much of a bad thing, even if it is just a sign of less creativity in the TV business.

24 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

Currently, NBC has 6 hours of Dick Wolf, they air The Voice twice a year, and they have no comedy hits. The kids have gone to streaming or You-Tubing, leaving only the oldies watching broadcasting/cable. It's obvious that the next generation of viewers no longer sees broadcasting television as relevant. 

They're not the only ones doing lazy programming, ABC will be airing 4 hours of Bachelor in Paradise this fall and CBS has always relied on cookie-cutter acronym procedurals for the last couple decades. 

This lack of creativity isn’t anything new either. I remember when NBC programmed Deal or No Deal 5 nights a week. They practically squeezed the life out of that show with how often it was on. Same could be said for Millionaire in the early-2000s. I wish TV hadn’t gone through such a creative slump over the past 2 decades, but a lot of that creativity has moved over to Amazon, Netflix, and Disney+. Peacock is way behind the game when it comes to streaming (if you want proof, look at some of the movies they have on there). NBC needs to do what it can to make it more lucrative. Besides, the local stations would prefer local news over yet another Dick Wolf series or Dateline rerun.

4 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

What “decision” do they have to make? Just simulcast the damn thing. The stations would be more than grateful for the extra ad revenue.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Redundancy
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

WXII for CW WCWG (Greensboro) (Hearst)

It was already added before you posted this. 

8 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

What “decision” do they have to make? Just simulcast the damn thing. The stations would be more than grateful for the extra ad revenue.

Simulcasting Is a terrible idea for the viewer and shows how greedy you are as a company. Also, I would ask WBRE/WYOU, WJXX/WTLV, WICU/WSEE, and WJAX/WFOX how simulcasting "helps" their ratings. It doesn't. 

Fox would still be upset if their newscast is simulcast with an NBC Station. Count on it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1