WTMJ on temporary set and in weather office

mrschimpf

Wanted to confirm this was also happening on a weekday, and now I have; WTMJ is currently working in what seems to be a back wall of the current set or in front of a screen (post-COVID, two anchors look really crowded in that shot) and have been since Saturday morning, along with weather coming from the weather office with one of the set TV's plopped in the middle and the storm chaser outside.

The Morning Blend gals are claiming a 'lighting upgrade' is going on so I'm inclined to agree it might merely be a move to LEDs...but I'm hoping it's more because that set was already behind the times when it launched (and the neon blue lighting they now have doesn't work in any way). Also if it was just a 'lighting upgrade' why is their half of the set also getting this so-called upgrade that requires set dressing to be out in the hall?

Just a lighting upgrade, they should be back in the main studio in a week (they are in front of a screen in the secondary studio).  

they recently repainted the weather center and put in some new desk and computers, it doesn’t look like it will regularly be used on air much if at all.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Chj8v2VuCqi/

Just new lights. Temporary set is the old "Everyday Health" set (a sponsored segment that used to air at the end of the midday news iirc) in Studio D.

The lighting in Studio A was already mostly LED and fluorescent, but the fixtures date to the installation of that set back in 2012, so they're probably about due for replacement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Weeters said:

The lighting in Studio A was already mostly LED and fluorescent, but the fixtures date to the installation of that set back in 2012, so they're probably about due for replacement.

Ahh, it IS at the end of their expected 10-year life (which is now a low-end expectation for lights these days), so that makes sense. I knew you'd have the answer. 👍🏼

I'm guessing any major renovation plans will wait until Good Karma vacates and frees up all that space at Radio City.

Edit: when is that happening, anyway? That was originally announced as being late in 2021, then "later in 2022" - how long does it take to build out an office space for GKB?

Edited by LoadStar
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LoadStar said:

I'm guessing any major renovation plans will wait until Good Karma vacates and frees up all that space at Radio City.

Edit: when is that happening, anyway? That was originally announced as being late in 2021, then "later in 2022" - how long does it take to build out an office space for GKB?

Word on the street is that the ongoing supply chain/chip shortage issue has impacted the ability to get new equipment. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LoadStar said:

The construction part is near completion if not completed for the studios and offices. Right now there is no radio equipment or computers in the new studios or office space. I imagine it’s still going to be months before GKB fully moves out of Radio City. The Avenue is turning out to be a very nice place (and that whole stretch of Wisconsin Ave).

There is a lot of empty space in Radio City already. it use to house Journal’s TV and radio executives. When GKB radio leaves I wouldn’t be surprised if more than half the building would be unused. GKB will have as many people downtown as Scripps employs in Milwaukee.

Last I heard Scripps has no plans for the radio space or executive offices. 

Edited by doublejman69
  • Like 1

Back in the studio. Quite a few of the old fluorescent fixtures are still there, but with new diffusion on them, along with some new lights scattered around.

(Also, look closely at the screens in those pics... Are they chroma keying in a fake monitor for the Storm Chaser live shot????)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

Back in the studio. Quite a few of the old fluorescent fixtures are still there, but with new diffusion on them, along with some new lights scattered around.

(Also, look closely at the screens in those pics... Are they chroma keying in a fake monitor for the Storm Chaser live shot????)

I don't think so? It's not the same person. The woman on screen is brunette with short sleeves. Whoever is at the key is blonde with elbow-length sleeves. Nor are they facing the same direction.

Edited by MidwestTV

5 hours ago, Weeters said:

Oh, I've seen that shot on 4 before with the Chaser. It's not a chroma, but just a superimposed graphic; Marisa (the met) is on the right side pointing to the graphic (the 'screen on a pylon') to the left and working off a full screen/iPad in front of her to point things out, likely just either because that carport has no room to have the hatch TV out without obstructing other passing cars, or image clarity. Traffic is being done in-studio and the reporter is waiting for Marisa to finish.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1

After getting a chance to see this on-air, this is a huge downgrade from the way the set was originally lit. They're just blasting light all over the place and it is all very flat. Nothing "pops" anymore, and that makes it look extremely fake, like the talent is standing in front of a chroma key image of the set. It's also creating a lot of shadows on the talent and I'd be surprised if they weren't protesting this "upgrade" internally.

image.thumb.png.6b420b0fa67776d2152086f368524444.png

Compare that to when the set was new...

image.thumb.png.ff7c207280ab6c486ae2392bda89c010.png

I get what they are trying to go for, the set being "brighter" and and "more welcoming" than the dark wood tones of the original design, but just blasting light everywhere cheapens the look overall. There used to be breakup patterns and other lighting tricks applied to the upper wooden portion of the set because it makes it look more visually interesting. 

Don't get me wrong, there was obviously a lot of work and attention that went into this, and it's certainly not bad, but something about it just feels off and feels "cheap".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Don't get me wrong, there was obviously a lot of work and attention that went into this, and it's certainly not bad, but something about it just feels off and feels "cheap".

I'll go so far as to say it looks beyond bad. So many Scripps stations already look so damn bland. This new lighting just adds to the sterile, soulless vibe.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The Good Karma-owned radio side of WTMJ, WKTI and WGKB is moving out after today.

It's amazing how much empty space involving studios and offices the merger with Scripps left behind when you also consider the Journal Sentinel moved out of 4th & State after being Gannetted, and they already had an entire building which used to have the Sentinel pretty much emptied before then.

Honestly I can see WTMJ (not counting WPXE as that's really just an IPTV rack) do what WDJT and WVTV already did and eventually relocate into a more appropriate and existing building they can mold the space into over remodeling Radio City, even with all that space now vacant.

• Sad 1