Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

Ladies and gentlemen, all the stuff that was missed.

• This coming from Panama City, Florida: The second sub-channel of WJHG is now MeTV, switching the CW affiliation to the second sub-channel of WMBB, which has been really booming the past couple of months, with new graphics, new logos, and now, the new CW station. (switch made January 1)
  • So I’m not actually sure if we covered this, but Montana’s got a brand new bag: The CW is gone in Great Falls, Helena, and Missoula, while Billings CW is now on the second sub-channel of KSVI, the local ABC station, the switch coming from KTVQ’s second sub-channel. Butte/Bozeman followed suit, putting the CW on a translator of KSVI sent to Butte/Bozeman, the CW previously on KXLF’s second sub-channel, and KBZK’s second sub-channel, the latter station being a semi-satellite of KXLF in Butte. (All switches made September 1)
  • To Sioux Falls now: The CW is now on the fourth sub-channel of KELO, which has always been the dominant station in the market. The CW comes to KELO-DT4 from KSFY-DT2, which, is not that good in the market. The sub-channel is now an affiliate of Outlaw, a channel from Fast TV Networks. (Switch made January 1)
  • Mighty Mississippi is our last stop: Shocking turn of events in the market of Tupelo-Columbus-West Point, as WCBI-DT3 is now MyNetworkTV, with its CW affiliation switching over to WLOV, the former FOX station in the market. The FOX affiliation has since moved to the second sub-channel of WCBI. (Switch made February 2)
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 8:11 PM, JTT said:

Wonder why other networks aren't interested?  Like the USA network?  They want more sports programming.

I don't know, probably because of the cord-cutting that is going on. 

• 2 weeks later...

NASCAR races are launching on the CW ahead of the planned schedule, the last 8 races of the 2024 Xfinity season (final regular season race and all 7 of the playoff races) are moving from NBC/USA to The CW. Will still be produced by NBC Sports with their announcers (seems like they are still contractably obligated to do that part). The original plan was not to start until the 2025 season and that NASCAR itself would produce the races, that will still take effect after this weird arrangement.

Really curious what made NBC bail out early, Nexstar cut them some too good to pass up deal? Or did they want to free up space to air something else? 

Edited by bgiesing
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Adam MadMan said:

Miami is going to be the most interesting market to watch where The CW goes. The only realistic places I could see are as either a WSVN or WPLG subchannel.  In Tucson, KTTU could be an option, or if all else fails, it could be a KVOA, KMSB, or KOLD subchannel.

Edited by SDHIll1980
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AmericanErrorist said:

Does this mean that Detroit is going back to WADL, after everything that happened?

Unless they agree to subchannel affiliations with WDIV and WPLG, the CW is likely shut out from Detroit and Miami entirely.

• Like 1

Given the hot water Nexstar is in for running WPIX, and Adell's (mis)management of WADL, a subchannel affiliation on WDIV is their best hope.

And there's no way one of the Windsor stations could pick it up and retarget their signal to an American audience.  That ship sailed after all of the San Diego issues with XETV in their later years.  Also CBC's CBET was once CKLW which RKO once had a stake in and used the station to target Detroit.

• Like 2

And to think, all of this could have been prevented back in 2019 had Nexstar sold as many stations as possible to keep WPIX and retained KASW and WSFL. They have no one to blame but themselves for this level of short-sightedness, poor planning, and outright greed.

Edited by Rusty Muck

On 4/19/2024 at 5:08 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Given the hot water Nexstar is in for running WPIX, and Adell's (mis)management of WADL, a subchannel affiliation on WDIV is their best hope.

And there's no way one of the Windsor stations could pick it up and retarget their signal to an American audience.  That ship sailed after all of the San Diego issues with XETV in their later years.  Also CBC's CBET was once CKLW which RKO once had a stake in and used the station to target Detroit.

Yea, given the fact of the Canadian programs on The CW, it's an good idea that CBET never grabs the affiliation without the CRTC knowing or the CBC is in hot water. And yea, WJBK is not really the best alternative because of its Fox Ownership (WJBK probably just say no to that immediately) but WDIV works.

On 4/19/2024 at 5:22 PM, Rusty Muck said:

And to think, all of this could have been prevented back in 2019 had Nexstar sold as many stations as possible to keep WPIX and retained KASW and WSFL.

Not surprisingly, there was less controversy with the Nexstar purchase of Tribune Media in 2019 than when Sinclair tried to aquire Tribune in 2018, probably because Nexstar weren't going to put any divested stations to an side-car company like Mission (other than WPIX but that was opinional (XD)) and also because Sinclair was acting stupid, ignorant and not like an good Broadcast owner for putting Must-runs and false information and FORCING its anchors to say what EXACTLY Sinclair said. (Madison, Wisconsin got lucky, thanks WISC-TV.) Also, Nexstar got KASW because of the Meredith—Belo weirdness in Phoenix with KPHO, KTVK, and KASW that also affected St. Louis with KSDK and KMOV. Also, Nexstar doesn't really want to own CW Stations without an backup for some reason in Phoenix and South Florida. (Miami—Fort Lauderdale) Which confuses me because they can do that in Jacksonville with WCWJ (The former WJKS) but can't/won't in Miami, like how does that work??

On 4/19/2024 at 5:22 PM, Rusty Muck said:

They have no one to blame but themselves for this level of short-sightedness, poor planning, and outright greed.

... Ummmmm, how would I explain this? In Kansas (with the former Kansas State Network KSNW, KSNT, and (semi) KSNF, Nexstar didn't mess it up an lot, same in Missouri with KTVI/KPLR and KOLR/KRBK/KOZL. Don't think WDAF-TV is an worse product now from 2017. It might be an really dumb move from Nexstar, but I don't think there should be an RKO-General-type of TV Station investigation. (Sorry if I'm acting stupid or something, I was just randomly thinking about the 'you can remove Local TV from your cable provider' thing.) Yes, Nexstar is stupid sometimes, but that's how Broadcasting is for it feels like for an long time. 

Edited by mer764KCTV5
Clarification reasons.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

Unless they agree to subchannel affiliations with WDIV and WPLG, the CW is likely shut out from Detroit and Miami entirely.

Not necessarily, there's always The CW Plus cable feed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LTSC1980 said:

Reminder they are still yet to find replacement for Montana stations outside Billings.

Those markets have been relegated to receiving CW through cable on The CW Plus Cable channel.

• Like 2

Since they have until Sep 1 to get The CW on those other cities that Scripps dumped The CW for independent. I think they can get The CW in those markets even if it is a subchannel. Detroit I think if you don't make up with Kevin WDIV is the only option on a subchannel in my opinion. 

On 4/19/2024 at 4:51 PM, Rusty Muck said:

Yeah it pretty difficult to get WPLG on board with a subchannel. Especially that WPLG does News for WSFL and with them dumping the affiliation that newscast is likely over. That might put a bad taste in Grahams mouth that means Scripps was not happy with their deal.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 3:34 PM, Adam MadMan said:

I saw earlier where Nexstar is now spinning it that they took the affiliation away from Scripps and moving it to Nexstar stations.  Only problem is that is in only possible in a few of the impacted markets.