Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

1 hour ago, The Frog said:

KUSI is airing the ACC game instead of KFMB. I assume the other Tegna affiliates are preempting as well?

Nope.

Looking at the schedule for next week, it appears this week's preemption was just a schedule Conflict with USL Soccer, as KFMB is scheduled to air the ACC Game next weekend. 

The only CW affiliate that straight up preempted ACC Football is WCIU.

Edited by elfuego35
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

On 9/7/2023 at 10:29 AM, Adam MadMan said:

Speaking of scheduling changes, they're swapping FBoy Island and the comedy night so that FBoy Island isn't competing with The Golden Bachelor.

So instead, they're competing with [...] Dancing with the Stars. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire...

On 9/9/2023 at 5:14 PM, mre29 said:

Hopefully DwtS will wipe the floor with it.

In either case: not anymore it will.

DWTS will now air on Tuesdays this season.

So much for that then. 

https://deadline.com/2023/09/dancing-with-the-stars-tuesdays-fall-jamie-lynn-spears-joins-cast-1235543907/

Edited by Action Newsroom

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, The Frog said:

Looks like CW may have quietly expanded Sundays to 7/6c. There's network repeats scheduled in that timeslot starting on 10/1.

Did they look at the negative ratings records they set with CW Now before they ditched that timeslot and decide 'we can do much worse'? 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, The Frog said:

Looks like CW may have quietly expanded Sundays to 7/6c. There's network repeats scheduled in that timeslot starting on 10/1.

WCCB still has The Neighborhood listed on zap2it but they are usually slow to update.

Edited by Nelson R.

• 4 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see if NWA does well on The CW surprised that NWA has lasted for over 70+ years since most of those that were under NWA started to go it alone in the 80s & 90s when Ted Turner bought Crocket out and formed WCW. The only wrestler I know from NWA is Tyrus he's The NWA's World Champion largely being on Fox News. 

1 hour ago, Megatron81 said:

It will be interesting to see if NWA does well on The CW surprised that NWA has lasted for over 70+ years since most of those that were under NWA started to go it alone in the 80s & 90s when Ted Turner bought Crocket out and formed WCW. The only wrestler I know from NWA is Tyrus he's The NWA's World Champion largely being on Fox News. 

The CW air two seasons of WWE Smackdown in the late 2000s so there is a precedent (i.e.. airing pro wrestling). If NWA/CW can produce a good product, they shouldn't have too much a problem attracting an audience. How big of an audience is unknown.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

What's Ring of Honor up to these days?

Now that would be an ironic pickup because of their prior owners!

AEW promoter Tony Khan owns it now and their weekly shows run only on their HonorClub streaming service (but the ROH belts are frequently defended on AEW TV shows). AEW currently airs on Warner Bros. Discovery's TNT and TBS and is trying to reach a long term deal with them that includes streaming rights, so they've made it clear they don't want deals with any other company at this time.

Edited by AmericanErrorist

NWA blowing the deal already before they even debut on The CW sometime in 2024 that will maybe only be on The CW App now than the main channel. Great going NWA you blew it and upset Perry Sook and higher ups at Nexstar. 

I heard that there were talks that AEW was going to sign a deal with WBD haven't heard anything more about it though. I think AEW does need to get on in syndication or get a deal with another major network for a show maybe Fox or The CW before the NWA deal that maybe off because a wrestler was doing coke on an NWA PPV. But AEW would get more fans if they were on broadcast than just TBS, TNT, & MAX in my opinion. I'm not into wrestling like I once was started getting tired of it in 2002-04 range where I stopped watching Raw & Smackdown weekly somewhat watched TNA/Impact when that was on FSN RSN.

31 minutes ago, The Frog said:

Here's a pro wrestling-worthy swerve. The CW is reportedly close to picking up WWE NXT.

Intriguing. The CW last aired SmackDown from 2006 to 2008. Ironically, it was later dropped due to previous management not finding it a great fit with its then-strategy of teen dramas (and few sitcoms). If/when NXT is picked up under the current management, WWE programming will return to CW after a long absence, and this time - in line with its growing sports portfolio - it's a perfect fit.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AmericanErrorist said:

That source also says that NXT plans to stay on Tuesdays, but is willing to shift if the network says so, which would depend on whether The CW is willing to move Inside the NFL.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Adam MadMan said:

That source also says that NXT plans to stay on Tuesdays, but is willing to shift if the network says so, which would depend on whether The CW is willing to move Inside the NFL.

I think the shows are interchangeable. But it might be better to keep Inside the NFL on Tuesdays while MNF is fresh on fans’ minds.

• Like 1