Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I wouldn’t bet on it. The live broadcast of the Indy 500 has been blacked out in Indianapolis for decades.

The tape delay ratings in the Indy market still beat out the live ratings in other markets. So for WISH, it would give them a huge boost. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EVVTV12 said:

The tape delay ratings in the Indy market still beat out the live ratings in other markets. So for WISH, it would give them a huge boost. 

Oh wow, I wasn’t aware of that. Would be a great (and much needed) get for them then.

13 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Obviously, The CW wouldn't have the marquee race on Memorial Day weekend, but carrying the other races leading up to it and any other series would be a benefit for WISH.

So even after the 500 itself moved to NBC, they still tape delay it in Indianapolis?

Why wouldn’t the CW have it on Memorial Day weekend? EDIT:  Oh I see. They wouldn’t televise Indy.

And yes. NBC feeds WTHR that night’s primetime lineup while the race is being broadcast to the rest of the country (noon-4pm Eastern). ABC did the same for WRTV I believe.

Edited by Nelson R.
Misunderstood what you were saying
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Why wouldn’t the CW have it on Memorial Day weekend? EDIT:  Oh I see. They wouldn’t televise Indy.

And yes. NBC feeds WTHR that night’s primetime lineup while the race is being broadcast to the rest of the country (noon-4pm Eastern). ABC did the same for WRTV I believe.

And then WTHR shows the race during primetime while the rest of the country gets the primetime lineup?

15 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Obviously, The CW wouldn't have the marquee race on Memorial Day weekend, but carrying the other races leading up to it and any other series would be a benefit for WISH.

Yeah The CW is definitely not getting the 500. NBC will do everything it can to keep that race. It's not going anywhere. 

What could happen if The CW gets part of the IndyCar rights is something similar to how the rights were split between ABC/NBCSN (Versus before that) before NBC completely took over. That's a possibility. 

15 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Yep. They still do the local blackout. And that's a shame.

It really is a shame. It's ridiculous. Just plain stupid. There's no reason that the race should be blacked out in the home market. I've been against it for years. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, tjt24 said:

It really is a shame. It's ridiculous. Just plain stupid. There's no reason that the race should be blacked out in the home market. I've been against it for years. 

IMS does this so they can "so-call" boost attendance. They want seats to be filled at IMS for the big race.

This "put the race on TV, no one will come to the stands" mantra is so backwards-thinking.  Why you want to hinder the local viewers from watching the race live on TV? NFL use to do this (if there's no sell-out 72 hrs before the game).

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

IMS does this "so-call" boost attendance. They want seats to be filled at IMS for the big race.

This "put the race on TV, no one will come to the stands" mantra is so backwards-thinking.  Why you want to hinder the local viewers from watching the race live on TV? NFL use to do this (if there's no sell-out 72 hrs before the game).

Yeah they are stuck in the 50s.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 1/31/2024 at 3:51 PM, CircleSeven said:

IMS does this so they can "so-call" boost attendance. They want seats to be filled at IMS for the big race.

The only message that likely sends is "We don't want local fans to be interested in our [race/game]."

• Like 5

On 1/31/2024 at 3:51 PM, CircleSeven said:

Oh I know why they do it. And I completely agree with you. This isn't the 1950s anymore. The race should be shown live in the Indianapolis market. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be aired live. None whatsoever.

Edited by tjt24
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

More likely that The CW signs some rights to INDYCAR & NBC airs some rights to the races as well The INDY 500, no way that The INDY 500 will air on The CW other than if the big 4 don't want to air the INDY 500 but that isn't going to happen. I wonder if there will be another season of 100 Days To INDY I liked that show even know I'm not into audio racing.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:24 PM, Megatron81 said:

I wonder if there will be another season of 100 Days To INDY I liked that show even know I'm not into audio racing.

Yes, there will. The CW renewed 100 Days to Indy for season two, which drops this spring.

EDIT: specifically, April 26.

Edited by Action Newsroom

The returns of All American and Walker plus new series will bow in April.

Meanwhile, AA: Homecoming may return this summer,

and the final season of Superman & Lois will launch this fall.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/all-american-homecoming-season-3-superman-lois-season-4-release-date-1235826869/

Edited by Action Newsroom

On 2/8/2024 at 9:32 PM, Adam MadMan said:

In other CW news, their website has added a FAST (free ad-supported television) service.

Apparently, it's in beta, and not on the app, and there's only 12 channels, over half of them from Scripps, but it does gel with past mentions about wanting to expand The CW's streaming footprint.

I'm surprised that Antenna TV and Rewind TV are not included in their FAST service.

• Like 2