Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

On 12/21/2023 at 4:10 PM, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

No, ARC West Michigan is the brand they'll take once they lose CW. It'll just be an independent.  Why they chose that name, I don't know. 

KOMO anchor Steve McCarron, who's been tapped to helm a new morning program on KUNS using the ARC brand (running from 8:00-10:00 a.m.) when that station switches to The CW on New Year's Day, answered this on X/Twitter:

(4)SteveMcCarronKOMOonX@jimscard@komonews@tyrahmajorsARCAuthentic.Relevant.Community.X.jpeg.thumb.png.8b4419f4bc2206145f0f672923ea0f42.png

BTW, it looks like Weigel's KVOS will be taking over for KUNS as Seattle's Univision affiliate.

HIKVOS.jpeg.thumb.png.c9f9c2917b29294ab5db141dc5d116fa.png

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

KOMO anchor Steve McCarron, who's been tapped to helm a new morning program on KUNS using the ARC brand (running from 8:00-10:00 a.m.) when that station switches to The CW on New Year's Day, answered this on X/Twitter:

(4)SteveMcCarronKOMOonX@jimscard@komonews@tyrahmajorsARCAuthentic.Relevant.Community.X.jpeg.thumb.png.8b4419f4bc2206145f0f672923ea0f42.png

BTW, it looks like Weigel's KVOS will be taking over for KUNS as Seattle's Univision affiliate.

HIKVOS.jpeg.thumb.png.c9f9c2917b29294ab5db141dc5d116fa.png

Given Weigel once ran Univision on WCIU, this is a bit of a full circle deal.

• Like 3
  • Thought-Provoking 1

On 12/29/2023 at 11:11 AM, T.L. Hughes said:

Dabl rebranded/relaunched as a Black-focused comedy network a day earlier than the linked schedule indicated, switching formats at 6:00 a.m. ET today (December 29) with two back-to-back airings of The Parkers. This is the new logo:

Dabl_2023.png.b08980c9895bcdf3cce2b6bbc71f869e.png

(Also, this Dabl discussion should probably be moved to the Paramount thread in "Corporate Chat".)

Those blue/yellow/orange stripes remind me so much of MARTA's (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) logo...

MARTA-logo.png

• Like 1

I guess Nexstar didn't want a repeat of the WADL mess, hence no Mission this time. Apparently the Londens were far more amenable to such a deal than Kevin Adell.

Edited by Adam MadMan
  • Like 3

And Nexstar found a way to weasel their way back into the Phoenix market.

Because trying to work out an arrangement with KASW would have been too obvious... Since they picked them up in the KTVK/KPHO merger and sold them to Scripps when they needed cap space to dump for the Tribune merger.

53 minutes ago, MD TV said:

So The CW has established a relationship with NWA after it looked like they had a falling out

Wow. NWA should be lucky. That... narcotic spot [which was planned by owner Billy Corgan despite some resistance] at their October PPV seemingly imploded their partnership completely, and honestly (as it was stupid and unnecessary -- both when it happened and right after) they (especially Corgan) kinda deserved the resulting backlash. I hope the partnership goes well and lasts quite a while, and Corgan and the NWA staff don't push their luck. 

• Like 2

Wild Cards promos took off the in The CW even with The New CW in West Michigan the is out of the logo even know the voice over says you're watching The CW West Michigan. Not surprised by the new branding as they have been fazing it since early/mid Dec. 

5 hours ago, The Frog said:

I clicked on this wanting to hate it- but I don't. Their logic for taking "The" out of the logo is sound, they're using a color palate that stands out in the field, and is a fresh coat of paint that actually looks decent given what Nexstar seems to be going for. Keep in mind that green/white have been the primary colors for CW since its launch in 06.

That said, the programming has to back up the refresh. The logo revamp is to show they're superhero network anymore, which is fine; but for your first major rebrand in 18 years (and that whole viewership drop in 2023 thing), you need to have programming and content to back it up.

I have to admit that their sports coverage wasn't terrible- announcers for the Barstool Sports Bowl made me keep watching on their own. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, The Frog said:

I love this more than I should.

I was interested when I saw glimpses of the new look during promos for Wild Cards and looked forward to what's to come. After reading up on it and watching the sizzle reel,

I was highly impressed.

- The refreshed logo looks great,

and the explanation for dropping "The" from the logo (but not the name) make way more sense than anyone can give them credit for.

- The imaging and its elements are incredible, fit the programs well, and look & feel like something you'd see on The CW and nowhere else.

- The color palette -- including "Hot Sauce" for the logo -- is unorthodox yet refreshing, and works wonders for CW (and - again - nowhere else). The era of green and white et al. is now gone, but this group of hues is a worthy successor.

If anyone thought this network is not worth watching anymore because of the expensive superhero and teen shows being largely replaced by much-cheaper yet respectable acquisitions from other countries, the new presentation surely says otherwise. 

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 7

I have always liked the edgy green color that has been the CW, but I don't hate the revamp; I just never personally wanted a revamp. Losing the "the" is actually a great decision for the sake of the logo. No more clutter (unless an affiliate clutters it up with calls and channel number poorly placed, but that would be on them). Truth be told, I have barely watched any CW over the years. I'd need to google what current big shows they have. I hope, for their sake, the actual programming gets beefed up (though that'll mean different things for different people). 

Maybe time for My Network to follow suit? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

So does this make "the" one of the forbidden words that employees are no longer allowed to say at a Nexstar station?🤣🤣🤣🤣

No different from when GM sent a memo to Chevrolet dealers to stop saying “Chevy”

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

So does this make "the" one of the forbidden words that employees are no longer allowed to say at a Nexstar station?🤣🤣🤣🤣

The real question, does any of their viewers that are left even notice?  Changing the color of the CW logo is meh in reality.  Again, it probably does not matter to a viewer.

• Like 2

I'm watching CW right now. Son of a Critch, since nothing else is on. First I've seen the new logo on my TV. Looks pretty good! But I stand by this being somewhat of a lateral mood. 

I've seen a few local news sets that have been largely in the CW green before. Pretty edgy, and usually looks pretty nice. Not sure so much orange would translate that well though (though my affiliate hasn't immersed its news set in lime green and likely won't in slime orange).