Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

For GR most likely it'll replace WXSP's primetime with CW rather than being on a sub of WOOD or WOTV, of course. And here the CW should've been on WXSP in the first place to begin with.

ETA - B+C says WOTV will carry it and cede ABC (likely a misreading), but the Nexstar PR doesn't clarify which station among the three will carry it.

Another ETA - WXSP's translator network is the ATSC 3.0 lighthouse though, so I do agree with TB that it seems WOTV-DT2 is likely to carry it just because they have room for another 1080i sub and Dabl is easy to dump.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 12:19 PM, MD TV said:

I tried to watch this game, which was on their app last year, it was dreadful.

Here are some of the highlights ...

20221230_143050.jpg

20221230_150030.jpg

20221230_150225.jpg

Standards and practices (if they even have one) will have their work cut out for them.  Expect Perry Sook's swear jar to be overflowing...

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I saw promo about CW7 rebranding to ARC West Michigan on Jan 1 just major changes are coming CW7 becoming ARC on Jan 1 when watching CW7 late Sun/Early Mon. I think it is WXSP taking over The CW why would WOTV get rid of ABC I don't think WZZM can't be viewed OTA in Kazoo or BC in around that area I could be wrong on that.

Why didn't The CW move on Sep 1 to the Nexstar TV station as I thought that when Sinclair renewed The CW that it also was for West Michigan?

7 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

20221230_150030.jpg

20221230_150225.jpg

Standards and practices (if they even have one) will have their work cut out for them.  Expect Perry Sook's swear jar to be overflowing...

What the hell is an "all-name team" and do the athletes have a say in whether or not they're on it?

Sigh...

College football with college-level humor, because that's what sports coverage really needs. Enjoy, sports addicts fans.

• Concerned 1

6 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

I'm just surprised WRBL isn't also getting it. 

...Yet...

Columbus/Auburn/Opelika could become the only market where the CW has passed through each owner.  It started on a Pappas station and lost it to SagamoreHill and now run by Gray on WLTZ 38.2 after they took over through an SSA.

3 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I saw promo about CW7 rebranding to ARC West Michigan on Jan 1 just major changes are coming CW7 becoming ARC on Jan 1 when watching CW7 late Sun/Early Mon. I think it is WXSP taking over The CW why would WOTV get rid of ABC I don't think WZZM can't be viewed OTA in Kazoo or BC in around that area I could be wrong on that.

Why didn't The CW move on Sep 1 to the Nexstar TV station as I thought that when Sinclair renewed The CW that it also was for West Michigan?

It looks like CW is going to be on WOTV 41.2 according to Rabbitears. I read that on the Discord. Not sure what CW7 will become. Not sure if you meant ABC when you said ARC but ABC will be remaining on WOTV. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mre29 said:

What the hell is an "all-name team" and do the athletes have a say in whether or not they're on it?

Sigh...

College football with college-level humor, because that's what sports coverage really needs. Enjoy, sports addicts fans.

The county it's in doesn't support it at all, and though they'll have to tone down the language for the FCC, sadly there's nothing that says they can't promote their betting interests or nonsense like their over/under parlay cover line, so if you're a fan of Wyoming or Toledo, you're probably turning down the TV and listening to the radio call instead, just so you don't have to hear them heap abuse on a player in case he did something that loses them money, like they did with their basketball tournament the other month.

10 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

The county it's in doesn't support it at all, and though they'll have to tone down the language for the FCC, sadly there's nothing that says they can't promote their betting interests or nonsense like their over/under parlay cover line, so if you're a fan of Wyoming or Toledo, you're probably turning down the TV and listening to the radio call instead, just so you don't have to hear them heap abuse on a player in case he did something that loses them money, like they did with their basketball tournament the other month.

Someone actually created an ESPN graphics overlay and tried to sync up the Wyoming radio feed to drown out the "noise" from the actual game.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 4:58 PM, Nelson R. said:

It looks like CW is going to be on WOTV 41.2 according to Rabbitears. I read that on the Discord. Not sure what CW7 will become. Not sure if you meant ABC when you said ARC but ABC will be remaining on WOTV. 

No, ARC West Michigan is the brand they'll take once they lose CW. It'll just be an independent.  Why they chose that name, I don't know. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 8:01 AM, mrschimpf said:

Another ETA - WXSP's translator network is the ATSC 3.0 lighthouse though, so I do agree with TB that it seems WOTV-DT2 is likely to carry it just because they have room for another 1080i sub and Dabl is easy to dump.

And just out of curiosity about what 41.2 will air, it looks like Dabl is completely done after December 29th; according to its national schedule it's becoming yet another Paramount Global specialty with their networks that need to die; a rerun feed of 90s UPN/WB sitcoms; no network name known yet, so expect another big exodus of stations at the end of the year switching networks on their Dabl subs. The network's social feeds haven't been updated since mid-September so it already was on borrowed time.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

And just out of curiosity about what 41.2 will air, it looks like Dabl is completely done after December 29th; according to its national schedule it's becoming yet another Paramount Global specialty with their networks that need to die; a rerun feed of 90s UPN/WB sitcoms; no network name known yet, so expect another big exodus of stations at the end of the year switching networks on their Dabl subs. The network's social feeds haven't been updated since mid-September so it already was on borrowed time.

ls this Fave TV?

5 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

ls this Fave TV?

Fave's schedule is more reality-based, and there's no sign in their schedule of a merger at all, outside of Fave adding Everybody Loves Raymond to their own schedule at the beginning of the year.

6 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Fave's schedule is more reality-based, and there's no sign in their schedule of a merger at all, outside of Fave adding Everybody Loves Raymond to their own schedule at the beginning of the year.

When Fave first started a couple of years back, it was airing lots of 90s comedies like the Wayans' Bros. Was unaware of the slight shift of format.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, AmericanErrorist said:

In schedule news, the network has committed to primetime reruns ofThe Connors:

https://deadline.com/2023/12/the-conners-repeats-the-cw-acquisition-deal-premiere-date-1235680133/

Aside from MyNetworkTV, that has to be a first...a broadcast network airing repeats of another network's show.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Aside from MyNetworkTV, that has to be a first...a broadcast network airing repeats of another network's show.

Full House reruns aired on NBC in summer 1991 right before it went into broadcast syndication but that wasn’t while original episodes were airing. 

• Like 5

I see a lot of TV station groups dropping what was Dabal yeah, don't need another WB/UPN 90s early 2000s as that seems to be on a lot of networks that those sitcoms air on. Only one that I watched was One On One, never did get into Sister Sister only watched a handful of times when it was on ABC TGIF lineup.

6 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I see a lot of TV station groups dropping what was Dabal yeah, don't need another WB/UPN 90s early 2000s as that seems to be on a lot of networks that those sitcoms air on. Only one that I watched was One On One, never did get into Sister Sister only watched a handful of times when it was on ABC TGIF lineup.

I watched all of em and liked em but One on One, Moesha and The Parkers were the best. 

• Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 6:08 PM, mrschimpf said:

Dabl rebranded/relaunched as a Black-focused comedy network a day earlier than the linked schedule indicated, switching formats at 6:00 a.m. ET today (December 29) with two back-to-back airings of The Parkers. This is the new logo:

Dabl_2023.png.b08980c9895bcdf3cce2b6bbc71f869e.png

(Also, this Dabl discussion should probably be moved to the Paramount thread in "Corporate Chat".)

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 3

1) Since it's staying around, it's gonna take a while to forget that this network name was last associated with home design, cooking and DIY shows.

2) That logo looks like one of a 90s haircare brand. Considering it's new strategy, while not bad, it's a bit too on-the-nose IMO. haha

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

1) Since it's staying around, it's gonna take a while to forget that this network name was last associated with home design, cooking and DIY shows.

2) That logo looks like one of a 90s haircare brand. Considering it's new strategy, while not bad, it's a bit too on-the-nose IMO. haha

While there'll be four black oriented networks come 2024 with the launch of The365 joining Bounce, TheGrio and the new Dabl, they're at least trying to stick out by being focused on shows with female leads. So while there may not be much variety right now with a schedule of 7 shows airing 7 days a week, I'd have to imagine that by the end of 2024, they'll offer a more diverse schedule by adding dramas and reality shows keeping with the black female lead motif.

46 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

While there'll be four black oriented networks come 2024 with the launch of The365 joining Bounce, TheGrio and the new Dabl, they're at least trying to stick out by being focused on shows with female leads. So while there may not be much variety right now with a schedule of 7 shows airing 7 days a week, I'd have to imagine that by the end of 2024, they'll offer a more diverse schedule by adding dramas and reality shows keeping with the black female lead motif.

Technically, not all of the series on the new lineup are exclusively female-led:

* One on One had Flex Alexander (Flex Washington) and Kyla Pratt (Breanna Barnes) effectively as co-leads until the show's Season 5 retool, when fellow original cast member Robert Ri'chard (Arnaz Ballard) was promoted to co-lead status alongside Pratt. (Alexander guest starred in a few episodes after the show's setting moved from Baltimore to Venice Beach.)

* The Game technically qualifies as both a female-led and an ensemble series, since there is roughly equal emphasis on female and male characters (given the premise mainly focuses on the players of the fictional San Diego Sabers football team and their significant others, as well as the "momager" of one of the players).

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Dabl rebranded/relaunched as a Black-focused comedy network a day earlier than the linked schedule indicated, switching formats at 6:00 a.m. ET today (December 29) with two back-to-back airings of The Parkers. This is the new logo:

Dabl_2023.png.b08980c9895bcdf3cce2b6bbc71f869e.png

(Also, this Dabl discussion should probably be moved to the Paramount thread in "Corporate Chat".)

Just one more note before it's shifted, it looks like according to the privacy policy on the website the network is now under Weigel's control with their '26 N. Halsted Chicago' address; PG still owns it altogether, but it's Weigel doing the actual selling/programming, which is a smart move to disambiguate it from the zombie networks and provides hope it'll have those smart folks behind it who know how to program and promote it.