Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

Understandable for some affiliates above market 100 (the most prominent is WISH unless WTTV-DT2 gets it as originally planned), but...

Why would any Plus group affiliate opt their stations out of this?! Maybe your Coastals and Allens will consider it, but most of these groups grab The CW affiliation mainly to have a respectable backup in case of breaking news and not have to bother with scheduling much. Why would they want to opt out on that coverage and deal with the VMVPD's alone? For most of these affiliates below 100, The CW+ sub is a rounding error.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The reason why many of CBS’s CW stations chose not to carry LIV Golf, competition with CBS’s telecast rights to the PGA Tour, will soon be rendered moot. The PGA is acquiring LIV.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/06/pga-tour-agrees-to-merge-with-saudi-backed-rival-liv-golf.html

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

The question is, will the CW still air golf events?  And will all the things we hate about LIV golf (aside from it's backers) trickle into PGA Tour events?

I could care less about golf, but those who watch it may be in for a real surprise if some of the LIV-stuff makes it into mainstream golf.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The question is, will the CW still air golf events?  And will all the things we hate about LIV golf (aside from it's backers) trickle into PGA Tour events?

I could care less about golf, but those who watch it may be in for a real surprise if some of the LIV-stuff makes it into mainstream golf.

They have a multi-year agreement so unless there’s a clause that would nullify said agreement; there’s no reason why things wouldn’t continue as is.

I could see LIV becoming some type of junior league were players would have to work their way up to the PGA. Doubt the case can be made that both of these entities are equal in any sense.

Regardless, this merger seems like a good thing for the CW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

This means not only the PGA tour, but CBS Sports, NBC Sports and Golf Channel (NBCU) are willing to accept Saudi blood money and promote events at trump properties. Ouch!!!

Nope. They weren’t privy to the merger.

Broadcasters aren’t all-knowing, all-seeing overlords of the leagues they broadcast. Even the players were blindsided.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, AmericanErrorist said:

They're going to try to build an NFL studio program from scratch.

They have part of it already (the NFL Films content), they just need the hosts to wrap around it. This I can't criticize them for outside if they don't get a good panel of hosts (shh don't tell Antonio Brown).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

They have part of it already (the NFL Films content), they just need the hosts to wrap around it. This I can't criticize them for outside if they don't get a good panel of hosts (shh don't tell Antonio Brown).

I actually wonder if they can get good hosts, as a considerable body of NFL analysts are already under contract to the various sports media groups.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Yep. I saw it with WPHL (very obvious yes) back when Nexstar confirmed their majority acquisition of The CW.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:55 AM, Action Newsroom said:

WPHL picking up the network is the most logical scenario. At least it gets to be O&O again instead of just an affiliate (and a barely recognized one at that).

So I'm not surprised in the slightest. I can't wait for the stations' new era with The CW.

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 1

WPHL’s programming is easily movable. (Modern Family and Friends).

KRON will probably have to get rid of their 8 and 9pm News unless they can air CW from 7-9pm.

WTTA has an 8pm news produced by WFLA and Spanish programming from 9-10. Maybe KRON and WTTA could put all that on their .2’s.

They could also keep their MyNetwork TV because that’s 2 more hours they wouldn’t have to schedule.

Edited by Nelson R.
Wrong station. I meant WFLA instead of WALA.
  • Like 1