Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

I expected low numbers, but not to the extent that an Ole Miss/Mississippi State Raycom game in Montana would get. There are Gravitas/Pureflix weekend movie packages that have better ratings, yeesh!

I tuned in for a few moments out of curiosity, and the presentation remains confusing (golf teams, but someone wins? And a crowded NASCAR-esque scoreboard) and it felt like something that was created to fill time on Golf Channel.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, The Frog said:

CW Acquisition Has Already Paid For Itself, Nexstar CEO Perry Sook Says

Sports beyond LIV are also in the crosshairs of Nexstar, Sook said. Without offering specifics, he said the company is evaluating “sports opportunities that could bleed into primetime.” 

I read they got an average of 300K viewers for the entire golf broadcast.  I'm shocked that is measurable.  I hope Nexstar got their money to carry the event up front.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

I hope Nexstar got their money to carry the event up front.

Sook said advertising on LIV Golf was selling “very well” and that Nexstar stations were generating three times the revenue from LIV Golf than it was getting from other network programming.

Sounds like they're happy with it.

On 2/28/2023 at 5:44 PM, The Frog said:

Probably because they got paid to air live sports and didn’t have to pay production costs. We might see bad ratings and a harmful association w/ Saudi Arabia, but Nexstar sees an opportunity to run low cost programming on a low rated network and make a quick profit. It worked.

For better or worse, this kind of thinking is perfectly in line with how Nexstar runs the rest of its media operations, including NewsNation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The CW claims the network’s first LIV tournament broadcast averaged more than 3.2 million viewers across linear and digital during the period from February 24-26. (Note that the data cited used info from iSpotTV and internal results by both The CW and LIV.)

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

The CW claims the network’s first LIV tournament broadcast averaged more than 3.2 million viewers across linear and digital during the period from February 24-26. (Note that the data cited used info from iSpotTV and internal results by both The CW and LIV.)

I do love when a company cites 'the numbers are up some certain percent from the programming that previously aired there'...and the comparison is literal infomercials, 'E/I' programming, outdoors shows that take 28 minutes to shoot a deer or catch and release a fish, and the 854 sports profile shows which have seemed to suddenly become endemic on weekend CW/MNTV schedules. There is nobody under 60 without a streaming service watching those stations on weekend afternoons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

• 2 weeks later...

The network has ordered a third season of FBoy Island, in a deal with the show’s distributor, STX, which had been shopping around the reality dating show after HBO Max canceled it in December (as part of CW minority owner Warner Bros. Discovery’s cuts to the service’s reality slate). The deal to pick up the series also includes the greenlight of a spinoff, FGirl Island.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

51 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

The network has ordered a third season of FBoy Island, in a deal with the show’s distributor, STX, which had been shopping around the reality dating show after HBO Max canceled it in December (as part of CW minority owner Warner Bros. Discovery’s cuts to the service’s reality slate). The deal to pick up the series also includes the greenlight of a spinoff, FGirl Island.

Didn't they say they were trying to get older audiences? Because somehow I doubt a show like that would appeal to the NCIS crowd.

Then again, it's probably cheap programming, especially as a hand-me-down from David Zazlav's hatchet.

Yeah...I really don't think Nexstar ever actually had a plan for the CW. All these movements all just kind of seem like "we bought it, now what?" type of stuff. Don't be surprised to see "wild" changes in demos (or as wild as the viewership the CW receives) every night starting this Fall, if they're really trying to do the whole older-skewing thing, but also showing stuff like these F___ Islands.

I will say, though, that we might have misunderstood them when they said older-skewing - they could have meant older-skewing compared to the old CW demo targets, the 18-34s. Then again compared to that basically everything in broadcast nowadays skews dead. Case in point, the recent article posted by Variety/THR/Deadline (I forgot which one of them exactly) that said that in Hulu Abbott skews like three times younger than in broadcast. 

Looks like Nexstar's CW stations are now live on YouTube TV.  This should include the MyNetwork stations and WGN.

Time to "move" to Chicago!   Or Marquette, MI to see what WJMN is up to....

EDIT:. Only the CW stations are available so far.... 

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Update

46 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Looks like Nexstar's CW stations are now live on YouTube TV.  This should include the MyNetwork stations and WGN.

Time to "move" to Chicago!   Or Marquette, MI to see what WJMN is up to....

EDIT:. Only the CW stations are available so far.... 

Yeah, in DC WDCW is available but not WDVM (yet).

23 hours ago, MD TV said:

Yeah, in DC WDCW is available but not WDVM (yet).

Not sure how YTTV picks up stations, but hopefully they won’t use the borderline unwatchable super low resolution SD WDVM feed on WDCW’s bandwidth onto their service. Another layer of compression on that would be… not good. (And to be fair, the news product is also borderline unwatchable!) 

• Like 1

They’ll probably get a direct feed from Nexstar… yes, the WDVM signal in Arlington over the air is crap (and I refuse to pay Comcast’s extortion fees just to get WDVM - I can get the rest, including WJLA 24/7 OTA, plus Baltimore stations to boot.).

As for the content, they’re a small market station trying to fit into the big city as a major player.  I enjoyed WHAG better when they were focused on “not DC” - turning into DC News Now doesn’t make it interesting to me - I’ll stick with Channel 4… (though with the recent wave of retirements - but there are still plenty of familiar faces)

Jim