Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

LIV golf will be paying with time buy as NYNewsJunkie said to air on The CW which be weekends I wonder if it be live or tape delay for primetime 8PM to 10PM? I thought that LIV wanted to do a a buy time with the Fox but Fox wasn't interested why no deal never happened.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 5:49 PM, The Frog said:

SBJ's John Ourand predicts that LIV Golf will make a deal with The CW, and says that there's some "smoke" to this prediction (38:55).

Sports Illustrated reports it’s very likely to be announced soon

https://www.si.com/golf/news/liv-golf-on-verge-of-announcing-tv-deal-with-cw-network

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, The Frog said:

The LIV Golf deal is official.

From the logo on Nexstar’s press release, it looks like ‘The CW Sports’ branding is a thing now.

I am shocked that their app is not behind a cable paywall, or even a subscription for the shows nor the golf coverage. 

But I'm scared that may change. 

Edited by NewEgg00

1 hour ago, NewEgg00 said:

I am shocked that their app is not behind a cable paywall, or even a subscription for the shows nor the golf coverage. 

But I'm scared that may change. 

tbh, it’s a near certainty that Nexstar will kill off the app outright. It’d fit in with their “streaming bad, excessive retrans fees good” digital strategy.

Ever wanted to see a cheapo small-market broadcast chain that lucked itself into getting all sorts of high-profile properties squander it all under antiquated thinking? Well now’s your chance!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, The Frog said:

The LIV Golf deal is official.

From the logo on Nexstar’s press release, it looks like ‘The CW Sports’ branding is a thing now.

Bad move by Perry there. LIV is a pariah for a reason. 

The man is so desperate for content, he'll do anything to get it. Sad

Edited by Yankees4life
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 12:36 AM, Megatron81 said:

LIV golf will be paying with time buy as NYNewsJunkie said to air on The CW which be weekends I wonder if it be live or tape delay for primetime 8PM to 10PM? I thought that LIV wanted to do a a buy time with the Fox but Fox wasn't interested why no deal never happened.

Think: USFL

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

Bad move by Perry there. LIV is a pariah for a reason. 

The man is so desperate for content, he'll do anything to get it. Sad

We'll see. Competition is good. One of these days, one of these upstart leagues will be successful.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

It could be U62 The CW!  Everything on that channel was better than anything currently on The CW.  

Their promos are certainly a lot more interesting than anything on TV today. And I'm not talking about the comedic fake shows. I'm talking about production value of that commercial and even the graphics.

12 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Dude. It is owned by Saudi Arabia who's noted for their human rights abuses and corruption. It's gross.

I don't care about any of that. There are a lot of crappy people around the world, including us. Put it on TV and if people watch it, good for them. Let the people decide what they want.

• Like 1
  • Concerned 1
  • Angry 1

16 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Could some CW affiliates decide to skip the network coverage as a result?

I’d be surprised if you don’t see Gray, Scripps, Sinclair and CBS just cut ties with the CW outright. Not because of LIV but because those groups all have their own in-house options to replace the primetime block.

LIV merely greased the skids.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

I’d be surprised if you don’t see Gray, Scripps, Sinclair and CBS just cut ties with the CW outright. Not because of LIV but because those groups all have their own in-house options to replace the primetime block.

I see Scripps and CBS diving into mostly all news-channels. CBS especially because they have the CBS News City streaming channel and KCAL News is an experiment toward this, and Scripps with Ion as a potential programming service (like MyNetworkTV) and Scripps News to cover national programming, mixed with more local news.

Gray has a harder path toward cutting ties with CW. Local News Live is their latest attempt, but I'd argue that they simply just don't have the investment in national news to completely program  independent (or would-be independent) stations. They are investing in production facilities which could be used for a national news product or other long-term entertainment scaling, but given the current sustainability and debt/equity ratio questions that many groups have, including Gray, I do wonder if this is the best investment for the immediate future of their business model.

• Thought-Provoking 1

12 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Gray has a harder path toward cutting ties with CW. Local News Live is their latest attempt, but I'd argue that they simply just don't have the investment in national news to completely program  independent (or would-be independent) stations. They are investing in production facilities which could be used for a national news product or other long-term entertainment scaling, but given the current sustainability and debt/equity ratio questions that many groups have, including Gray, I do wonder if this is the best investment for the immediate future of their business model.

Gray CW affiliates could plug in whatever’s airing on Circle or go the local news route, depending on market size. Or backfill with cheapo syndication like MyTV as an interim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nickInRoseville said:

LIV golf is sportswashing

Honestly outside the Saudi Arabia stuff, LIV is pretty much just those who would usually migrate to the Senior/Champions Tour just trying to find a new place to play for money, because they have both egos and don't want to make way for new golfers and go gently into that good night and refuse to give up their past glory. Or younger golfers who just want to participate in the big tournaments and hate that they have to play in other tourneys like the St. Jude and Memorial to earn their way, or be on the PGA money list or be eligible for the FedEx Cup. It is 100% the Sour Grapes League and they just found the worst sucker of all to finance it, and the most desperate broadcaster to show it; it says something that Scripps or Ion didn't even bother or Fox let the paper company behind MyNet do so either.

I don't forsee CW stations really boycotting it outright, but if they have weekend afternoon programming that already works, they might just bump LIV to overnights if it attracts a really lousy demographic and ratings. Their weekend advertising base is already poisoned enough with Weekend Adventure's geriatric bent, and the Has-Beens and Never Weres of Golf aren't moving that age down any at all.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

They're just begging the non-Nexstar stations to drop the CW so it can be brought in-house.   Even if it's on a bit-starved subchannel....they'll just find a paying home on cable, right?

At this rate, I wouldn't put anything past the suits at Nexstar just to tank things on purpose so they can swoop in and have everything to itself.

• Thought-Provoking 1