Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

1 hour ago, mightynine said:

I do wonder if Nexstar will continue the old CW Plus feed/service - if that still exists.

I wonder how much of CW's reportedly extravagant programming spend went towards licensing the syndicated content that runs on there.

I suppose there's nothing stopping Nexstar from blowing up those deals and simulcasting Antenna TV or Rewind TV in place of that content.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 3:05 PM, mre29 said:

I'd say it depends on the station. "PIX 11" and "KTLA 5" work better than "The CW 11" and "The CW 5" because those stations were much more established independent of the network. The same would be true of WGN should it regain the affiliation. But it mid-tier or low-tier markets where the affiliate never had an identity outside of their affiliation? Probably not.

Of course, it's entirely possible that Nexstar could up and change the network's name... 😏

mre29 is right. One word describes Nexstar’s big three via Tribune...HERITAGE.

And I agree w/ TheRolyPoly, said big three (and others?) should keep their non-network brands and not have “CW” or whatever it will become overpower them.

Edited by AceHawk447
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AceHawk447 said:

mre29 is right. One word describes Nexstar’s big three via Tribune...HERITAGE.

And I agree w/ TheRolyPoly, said big three (and others?) should keep their non-network brands and not have “CW” or whatever it will become overpower them.

WPIX tried CW11 it felt weird WB11 even sounded better even though the PIX brand hasn’t been around since 2007-08.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Well, I guess the deal is done.

Nexstar has announced the completion of its 75% interest in The CW

Also announced that Nexstar board member Dennis Miller will take over as president of the network, replacing Pedowitz.

Since it looks like the deal is done, we now have over 20 CW O&Os between Paramount Global and Nexstar.

34 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Nexstar has announced the completion of The CW acquisition

Also announced that Nexstar board member Dennis Miller will take over as president of the network, replacing Pedowitz.

From the article:

Now Pedowitz’s exit marks the begging of the end of the CW as we know it — a full-fledged broadcast network built on original scripted series — with observers expecting it to eventually resemble outlets like myNetworkTV or Pax. 

No shocker here - Nexstar gonna run it cheap. Probably already looking for sports willing to buy their airtime for weekend programming.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Nexstar has announced the completion of The CW acquisition

We should point out that it isn't THAT Dennis Miller, the former comedian and SNL alum turned conservative commentator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

We should point out that it isn't THAT Dennis Miller, the former comedian and SNL alum turned conservative commentator.

That would've been one hell of a twist, though. 😆

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Does anyone see NewsNation content and programming popping up on The CW?

Very likely we will see programming powered by NewsNation, I can totally see crime documentaries and other news magazine specials (in the vein of how TMZ has been doing primetime specials on Fox) being part of the lineup. 

Kinda sad but not shocked that Mark Pedowitz is gone. He did a lot of good for The CW and kept the network's relevancy. It will certainly be interesting to see where Nextstar will take The CW, would love to see some sort of original programing continue. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

The CW does need to address what the list of affiliates will look like going forward, especially if the network is going on more of the Nexstar or staying as is as of right now.

Nexstar doesn't need to address anything regarding the affiliate list.

The last part of your sentence is everything that one needs to know. Affiliates have contracts with the network and so if you were a CW affiliate yesterday, you are one today. Do not expect massive overnight changes to the affiliate lineup. I know many on this board have speculated wildly about stations that might become a CW O&O. But under normal circumstances that will not happen until the incumbent's affiliate agreement is up...if it happens at all.

I can think of two exceptions. An ownership change could trigger "out clauses" in an affiliate contract. I'm thinking in particular the Chicago market, where Nexstar might see it worth the legal expense to claim the affiliation for WGN.  But Nexstar doesn't need to "address" that publicly since it would up to the two parties to work it out. The other condition that could trigger an overnight switch is if a competing broadcast network objected to a competitor owning one of their affiliates. I see this as highly unlikely since nobody objected to CBS owning part of the CW. But even if this did come up, Nexstar has nothing to address publicly until NBC, ABC, or FOX expresses a desire to end its affiliation. 

• Like 4

THR article on how the network is shaping up under Nexstar.

Sook and Miller are said to be fans of Walker, Superman & Lois and Kung Fu. Everything else appears to be on the chopping block.

They're looking to reduce the licensing fees that CW is spending on their current lineup. Walker reportedly costs $3 million an episode, which is already on the lower end of broadcast budgets.

Miller is keen on delivering multicam sitcoms and more unscripted fare.

20 minutes ago, The Frog said:

THR article on how the network is shaping up under Nexstar.

Sook and Miller are said to be fans of Walker, Superman & Lois and Kung Fu. Everything else appears to be on the chopping block.

They're looking to reduce the licensing fees that CW is spending on their current lineup. Walker reportedly costs $3 million an episode, which is already on the lower end of broadcast budgets.

Miller is keen on delivering multicam sitcoms and more unscripted fare.

The last line in the article sums it up.  Just look at the lack of success at NewsNation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is likely some speculatron stuff but I could see Fox being uncomfortable with Nexstar owning the majority of the CW for some reason. Especially if Nexstar actually believed that it could land major sports rights, which I'm not at all saying they will. 

I'm certainly not speaking for the other networks though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

This is likely some speculatron stuff but I could see Fox being uncomfortable with Nexstar owning the majority of the CW for some reason. Especially if Nexstar actually believed that it could land major sports rights, which I'm not at all saying they will. 

So they are afraid of the competition?  I would think Fox first concern that Nexstar controls many of their stations, being a competitor. 

13 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

what sports would be available except maybe local high school and small colleges?

15 minutes ago, nomadcowatbk said:

what sports would be available except maybe local high school and small colleges?

Idk but I do have the feeling that at least one network is gonna have an issue and I really feel like Fox would be the one to not want to be tied to a network associated with a potential competitor. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Hence why I don't see Nexstar and Fox lasting much longer together.

Also despite how much nobody actually considers them anything but a line in the syndicated section of the NBCU quarterly report any longer or an actual network, MyNetworkTV is a very direct competitor. I see that relationship[ being more realistically affected than Big Fox, and the latter is for down the line anyways; we're not seeing "The NBA on The CW" in the near future and all the other major leagues are locked up, plus Nexstar is looking for specifically cheaper programming.

That and station managers in major markets wouldn't be happy to be cut out of the NFL to go back to the days of movies on Sunday afternoons.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1