Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

37 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Hour-long superhero shows + CGI × COVID compliance + all those writers trying to keep Riverdale from becoming an ouroboros = 💸

This is why you're going to be seeing A LOT more of Eric Estrada and Laura McKenzie on The CW (I'm shocked Associated Television International isn't getting their own 25% piece).

Also...Hearst does have leverage with the Litton E/I block, so don't expect them to go gently into that good night either. 

Erik Estrada? Does this mean Cool Cat is coming to the CW?

Tenet (2020) - Page 2 - Blu-ray Forum

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/16/2022 at 3:52 PM, Myron Falwell said:

@sanewsguyasked this on Discord this morning... where's Perry? Arguably the biggest day in the history of the company—and less than two weeks after his tenure as CEO was extended by four years—and he was nowhere to be seen.

I can't imagine the CEO of one of the country's largest pure-play television chains going AWOL the day of their highest-profile transaction, let alone a CEO so totally tied in with the company that he's almost universally known as Uncle Perry.

Here he is dropping a tease about potentially pursuing sports rights (0:49):

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, The Frog said:

Here he is dropping a tease about potentially pursuing sports rights (0:49):

Just looking at this thread and honestly, Perry must be high on Sudafed drugs if he thinks he's going to get live sports on the CW.

Many of the major sports contracts are locked up until the late 20s and heading into the 2030s (even local/regional rights deals are locked into that same timeframe) so how's he going to get them?

NEWSFLASH: He can't

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dman748 said:

Just looking at this thread and honestly, Perry must be high on Sudafed drugs if he thinks he's going to get live sports on the CW.

Many of the major sports contracts are locked up until the late 20s and heading into the 2030s (even local/regional rights deals are locked into that same timeframe) so how's he going to get them?

This is actually pretty simple. Broadcast minor leagues and startup leagues that will have a small viewerbase at first but will grow as the years wind on. For Example, UPN had the WWE and the XFL as "sports" and had decent success. There is a way to do this if Nexstar is smart about it. Many UPN/WB stations have aired the MLB in the past as well. WPIX airs the Mets from time to time. 

• Like 1

IAs a fan, I would love to see minor league baseball - have the cw have a minor league agreement and have local station televise the local mlb farm team - more money for mlb, kids that play hard, and put the fun back in baseball - I love baseball, but I even find it sometimes to be too routine - no enthusiasm 

• Like 3

Completely spitballing here, but I could see another relaunch of "American Gladiators" being a good fit for the new CW... as long as they do it much like the original, as if it were a straight-up sports competition, and not like the 2008 relaunch, that was packed full of reality show tropes.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, dabx said:

IAs a fan, I would love to see minor league baseball - have the cw have a minor league agreement and have local station televise the local mlb farm team - more money for mlb, kids that play hard, and put the fun back in baseball - I love baseball, but I even find it sometimes to be too routine - no enthusiasm 

KRCW (Portland) has been airing a few minor league games from the Hillsboro Hops (just outside of Portland) this year. The production values were very simple and the picture quality wasn't great. I only tuned in once and can't remember if they had a TV announcer or if it was just nat sound.

I wonder how it was being produced. May have just been the feed that normally streams online? Doubt the TV broadcast was specially produced, but if it was I wonder if they outsourced it or had KOIN staff do it.

• Like 2

I can see The CW moving to WJW 8.2 more so than 8.1.  It would be awkward to see ads for The CW on "Fox 8," especially since WUAB is still affiliated with CW.

Would a move to 8.2 have been more of a slam dunk if WBNX was still affiliated with the network?

23 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Would the Nexstar stations try to move the CW network to one of their subchannels or things just stay the way it is?

If that is the case, I would see WKYT losing CW on 27.2. WDKY getting the CW on 56.2. But WKYT would try to steal MyTV. 

I could see a scenario in which WREG takes the CW affiliation from WLMT within the next year and places it on a subchannel (most likely on 3.2 with the NC3A feed being shifted to 3.3 and Antenna TV to 3.4). The same would be the case with WATE taking over from WBXX. The latter stations I mentioned (WLMT & WBXX) are part of existing duopolies and have MNTV to fall back on if need be.

WNAB could be a complicated situation since they're "locally" owned, but managed by Sinclair. Would they be willing to shed their current JSA/SSA to join up with Nexstar/WKRN?

5 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

I could see a scenario in which WREG takes the CW affiliation from WLMT within the next year and places it on a subchannel (most likely on 3.2 with the NC3A feed being shifted to 3.3 and Antenna TV to 3.4). The same would be the case with WATE taking over from WBXX. The latter stations I mentioned (WLMT & WBXX) are part of existing duopolies and have MNTV to fall back on if need be.

WNAB could be a complicated situation since they're "locally" owned, but managed by Sinclair. Would they be willing to shed their current JSA/SSA to join up with Nexstar/WKRN?

It would all depend on when the affiliation agreements are up with these stations and *if* Nexstar uses its power to decline a renewal, or if the other owners decide they don't want to run a network that's now largely owned by a competitor.

If Nexstar uses "plan A", that could possibly cause some antitrust issues even if the station is good to go as a subchannel...it all could hinge upon market share if Nexstar swoops in to take what's theirs and make their slice of the pie too much....

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 6:21 PM, channel2 said:

When did people start mentioning WWE among the sporting leagues? It feels like a recent phenomenon...

WWE's ratings have remained relatively stable while the rest of linear TV collapses, so they've suddenly become a hot commodity in the sports rights fee arms race.

Will they stick to linear or go to streaming? The next round of negotiations will be interesting to keep an eye on.

• Like 2

I am not sure where this comment belongs in what group, but every thing I see everywhere is speculation on how the TV industry is as of today.

Has anyone heard of Nextgen TV (ATSC 3.0)? Yes it will not happen in a few years, but when it does, OTA tv channels will have capabilities multiple ways of delivering programming content as well as services provided by cable and cell phone companies. All this service provided over the air, no cable. Eventually all devices today (TV, Radios, Cell Phones or anything else that uses a transmitted signal) will use this new technology?

So I would suggest to everyone that the current decisions made these corporations make is not based on current technology but lies ahead for TV. OTA TV is not dead, it is the future.

I hope the moderator of this website would start a thread on this topic. 

15 minutes ago, dabx said:

I hope the moderator of this website would start a thread on this topic. 

You don't need a mod to start a thread, you can start one yourself. General TV would probably be an OK place for it.

• Like 2

Nexstar's programming direction for The CW includes procedurals and sitcoms.

CW brass have reached out to the creative community, including taking agency meetings, to lay out their buying strategy going forward and tell everyone that the network is open for business.

On the original scripted programming side, in addition to the CW’s signature genre shows and teen soaps, which the network intends to keep doing — just not as many — it plans to broaden its slate by adding procedurals and other older-skewing dramas as well as half-hour comedies including multi-camera sitcoms.

The overall message was: bring us what you would’ve brought to the CW before but also bring us what you wouldn’t have brought to us in the past.

• Like 2

Glad to hear what maybe coming out of The CW now that Nexstar bought it that it isn't going to be Mynet or ION that their open to program from outside studios and targeting all demos than just teens/young adults also glad that sitcoms are returning to The CW. I never understood why The CW gave up on sitcoms in 2009 I liked some of the sitcoms they had on the network. 

Get set for the possible return of the CW channel # branding on stations like WPIX, KWGN and so on. Two Nexstar-owned CW affiliates in Texas - KDAF Dallas and KIAH Houston - took a break from that branding for few years, and then brought it back. 

KDAF was CW33 from 2006 until 2008, and then it became THE 33 until September 2011, when the CW33 branding returned. Same deal with sister station KIAH Houston. It was CW39 from 2006 until 2008, then it became 39 KIAH until 2011. CW39 branding came back with an announcer saying CW39...HOUSTON (putting some oomph into the city of license and the city KIAH serves).

Now that their parent company Nexstar owns the CW now, and a lot of changes will be made to the network, I wouldn't be surprised if WPIX renamed themselves CW11, KTLA started calling themselves CW5, KWGN called themselves CW2 once again, and so on. In fact, IMHO, the network # branding is music to my eyes and ears.

• Like 3

On 8/30/2022 at 5:07 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

NOT me. I love PIX 11, KTLA 5, etc. Local branding works.

I'd say it depends on the station. "PIX 11" and "KTLA 5" work better than "The CW 11" and "The CW 5" because those stations were much more established independent of the network. The same would be true of WGN should it regain the affiliation. But it mid-tier or low-tier markets where the affiliate never had an identity outside of their affiliation? Probably not.

Of course, it's entirely possible that Nexstar could up and change the network's name... 😏

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, mre29 said:

Of course, it's entirely possible that Nexstar could up and change the network's name...

This is probably more likely that the return of network branding.

I do wonder if Nexstar will continue the old CW Plus feed/service - if that still exists.