Nexstar Acquires 75% of The CW

Georgie56

Even though I haven't been Talking here more or less, I'm not Surprised given the Rumors that have been going around recently about the CW getting acquired by Nexstar

Still I don't know what is going to happen with WPSG's CW Affiliation, I'm hopeful they'll be able to keep it but if it comes to it and WPHL gets the CW Affiliation, but again that's Speculation.

Wow. Maybe in a better world, the CW brand name doesn't carry over,  and WGN America makes a comeback. But that's wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, TrustyGem said:

I don't know what is going to happen with WPSG's CW Affiliation. I'm hopeful they'll keep it but if WPHL gets the Affiliation, but that's Speculation.

I can see either happening, but WPHL picking up the network is the most logical scenario. At least it gets to be O&O again instead of just an affiliate (and a barely recognized one one at that).

Edited by Action Newsroom

36 minutes ago, TrustyGem said:

Still I don't know what is going to happen with WPSG's CW Affiliation, I'm hopeful they'll be able to keep it but if it comes to it and WPHL gets the CW Affiliation, but again that's Speculation.

Wouldn’t be surprised if WGN returned to the CW as well. They only went independent to accommodate sports, and considering that sports rights aren’t coming back anytime soon, it makes sense to run CW programs.

On the subject of programming, you can bet there will be massive cuts with the “same strict financial standards” and all, but considering that Paramount and Warner/Discovery still hold interest, I can’t imagine them going full-on “NewsNation on Free TV” just yet. I would expect the network to still air some shows produced by Paranount/Warner, but the quality/budget of those shows might be diminished. Besides, the CW is a low priority for them anyway (hence, the sale), and anything that drew an audience is being chopped.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Anything that drew an audience will be moved to Paramount+ and whatever Warner/Discovery does with HBO Max.

And the DC Universe fans will move with them.

Of course. By “chopped” I mean being axed from the network. I’m sure they’ll fit right at home on Paramount+ and Warner/Discovery’s streaming service.

• Like 1

Nexstar CFO Lee Ann Gliha has said that the company plans to make the network a more cost-effective platform with "cheaper" programming for a broader audience, with a goal of profitability by 2025. No specifics were given.

https://deadline.com/2022/08/the-cw-will-become-profitable-network-2025-broader-cheaper-programming-nexstar-1235092173/

Edited by Action Newsroom

The demographic focus of the CW will also change over time, Carter said. Historically, shows like Riverdale, All American, Arrow and Supernatural have focused on viewers in their teens through their 30s. The reality, though, is that the average CW viewer is 58 years old, and Carter said that schism explains why the CW is the lowest-rated broadcast network.

He projected “lower unscripted costs,” without elaborating, and said more syndicated shows would likely be added. The CW has recently been programming 13 hours across six nights in primetime. As the Nexstar deal loomed last May, the company told advertisers at its New York City upfront presentation that it was renewing all current shows but not adding any new ones to the mix.

Sounds like it will end up a combination of MyNetworkTV and Dabl - cheap DIY shows and Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives ripoffs and the like, with some syndicated deals in the mix (hey, maybe they convince the rightsholders to move In The Heat of the Night and Blue Bloods here 😄). Maybe some small sports league will pony up some cash to buy time for games to be broadcast.

Especially considering the content deal with Paramount and WBD is only for 2022-23 (though could be extended), I'm not expecting much from the new CW.

Edited by mightynine
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TrustyGem said:

I’m wondering what will happen to KBCW (CBS O&O) and Nexstar’s KRON (MyNetwork Affiliate)

unless KTVU Plus takes the MyNetwork affiliation. 

41 minutes ago, SFTV said:

I’m wondering what will happen to KBCW (CBS O&O) and Nexstar’s KRON (MyNetwork Affiliate)

unless KTVU Plus takes the MyNetwork affiliation. 

I wouldn't be surprised if CBS does with KBCW what they're doing with KCAL down south.

• Like 2

This is quite the paragraph from the Deadline article.

The demographic focus of the CW will also change over time, Carter said. Historically, shows like Riverdale, All American, Arrow and Supernatural have focused on viewers in their teens through their 30s. The reality, though, is that the average CW viewer is 58 years old, and Carter said that schism explains why the CW is the lowest-rated broadcast network.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Wow. Maybe in a better world, the CW brand name doesn't carry over,  and WGN America makes a comeback. But that's wishful thinking.

I can see either happening, but WPHL picking up the network is the most logical scenario. At least it gets to be O&O again instead of just an affiliate (and a barely recognized one one at that).

WPHL is for all intents and purposes an independent station and run themselves as such. Yes they carry the MyNet primetime stuff but they've long since distanced themselves from the network. I'm sure Nextar is eager to get their newly acquired network on their #4 market station asap.

As for WPSG, CBS seems to have no issues owning unaffiliated stations in duopoly markets (see LA & Boston). I could definitely see them fully bringing back the Philly 57 branding (given that they already have done so in logo form when the CW was originally launched, but verbally only referring to it as the CW Philly). 

3 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

WPHL is for all intents and purposes an independent station and run themselves as such. Yes they carry the MyNet primetime stuff but they've long since distanced themselves from the network. I'm sure Nextar is eager to get their newly acquired network on their #4 market station asap.

I'm aware and I alluded to that.

4 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

As for WPSG, CBS seems to have no issues owning unaffiliated stations in duopoly markets (see LA & Boston).

I could definitely see them fully bringing back the Philly 57 branding (given that they already have done so in logo form when the CW was originally launched, but verbally only referring to it as the CW Philly). 

I'm also aware, thanks.

I actually thought about the branding (the history of which I'm too aware) this morning before and after the news and totally agree. They don't even have to get a new logo; just freshen up that very one.

3 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

On what planet is WGN America a better brand name than The CW? (I'm not saying The CW is a particularly strong brand in and of itself, but it's certainly worlds better than WGN America.)

The only people I've ever spoken to that have any kind of affinity for WGN America are here on this board.

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

What is there to be gained from yanking the affiliations off of WCIU, WPSG, KBCW, WCCB or WISH?

What is the return on investment for alienating the massive groups that own those stations right off the bat?

What benefits stations like KRON, WGN, WPHL, WJZY and WTTV that already have established brands (and in the case of WGN and WTTV, willingly gave up the CW for their own self-interests) to disrupt their programming with CW fare?

Just because Nexstar is buying majority control of what is still for all intents and purposes a three-way partnership does not mean they are going to be doing things to it or to the affiliate base "just because they can"

52 minutes ago, TheRob said:

This is quite the paragraph from the Deadline article.

The demographic focus of the CW will also change over time, Carter said. Historically, shows like Riverdale, All American, Arrow and Supernatural have focused on viewers in their teens through their 30s. The reality, though, is that the average CW viewer is 58 years old, and Carter said that schism explains why the CW is the lowest-rated broadcast network.

The CW targets a demographic that is least likely to watch OTA TV. It might have still worked in 2006 but that's 16 years and 12 models of iPhones ago.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

What is there to be gained from yanking the affiliations off of WCIU, WPSG, KBCW, WCCB or WISH?

What is the return on investment for alienating the massive groups that own those stations right off the bat?

What benefits stations like KRON, WGN, WPHL, WJZY and WTTV that already have established brands (and in the case of WGN and WTTV, willingly gave up the CW for their own self-interests) to disrupt their programming with CW fare?

It depends on the market. They aren’t going to yank it off a station like WISH, for example, when they have both the CBS/Fox affiliates in Indianapolis. Same goes for WCCB. I don’t think anyone was suggesting that Nexstar would/should replace every established network affiliation with a network like the CW. Any suggestion of such a thing would be asinine.

In the case of stations like WGN and KRON, however, it would make some sense. First, it’s not like they’ll be alienating CBS when CBS/Warner are selling the majority of the network over to Nexstar anyway. The CW is a non-core asset for them. Second, it’s true that WGN gave up the CW “for their own self-interests,” but those interests had to do with local sports broadcasting rights that had to be moved to other stations to accommodate CW programming. As I previously mentioned, WGN no longer has local sports rights, and the CW would give WGN two hours of programming that their company (Nexstar) owns. Finally, in KRON’s case, why would Nexstar spend on a MyNet affiliation when they’ll now have their own network to program? It’s the same reason why NewsNation is dumping reruns for their own talk shows.

Of course, there’s no guarantee Nexstar will want to switch all of its independent/MyNet stations over to the CW, and it’s highly unlikely they would do it right away. This is pure speculation. That said, it’s not a far-fetched possibility.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

It depends on the market. They aren’t going to yank it off a station like WISH, for example, when they have both the CBS/Fox affiliates in Indianapolis. Same goes for WCCB. I don’t think anyone was suggesting that Nexstar would/should replace every established network affiliation with a network like the CW. Any suggestion of such a thing would be asinine.

In the case of stations like WGN and KRON, however, it would make some sense. First, it’s not like they’ll be alienating CBS when CBS/Warner are selling the majority of the network over to Nexstar anyway. The CW is a non-core asset for them. Second, it’s true that WGN gave up the CW “for their own self-interests,” but those interests had to do with local sports broadcasting rights that had to be moved to other stations to accommodate CW programming. As I previously mentioned, WGN no longer has local sports rights, and the CW would give WGN two hours of programming that their company (Nexstar) owns. Finally, in KRON’s case, why would Nexstar spend on a MyNet affiliation when they’ll now have their own network to program? It’s the same reason why NewsNation is dumping reruns for their own talk shows.

Of course, there’s no guarantee Nexstar will want to switch all of its independent/MyNet stations over to the CW, and it’s highly unlikely they would do it right away. This is pure speculation. That said, it’s not a far-fetched possibility.

It goes back to the cost-benefit analysis. What is to be gained by making WGN or KRON an affiliate of a network that no longer can reach its' target demo due to mere obsolescence?

The mere fact your average CW affiliate has a daytime lineup with hours and hours of courtroom schlock, "Trash TV" Maury reruns and Steve Wilkos, spillover newscasts from a senior duop partner and barely anything else is rather telling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SFTV said:

Nexstar’s KRON (MyNetwork Affiliate)

KRON becomes an O&O filling that last hole in San Francisco. Same thing in NY, LA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas. I’m having a heart attack over this quiet honestly.

57 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

I think they’ll keep there affiliations by moving CW to a sub-channel or buying a LPTV. They will be fine. We’re not gonna have a 1995 that would cripple Nexstar and ruin all the affiliate relations they have. Especially if the audience CW is targeting gets boomers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, David Salter JR said:

what programming strategy will Nexstar pursue for the CW? news? unscripted shows? something else?

Paramount and Warners still hold minority stakes and will continue to supply programming, and unless something drastic happens, the existing streaming deal with Netflix will be unchanged. The biggest change has already happened with the mass cancellation of shows (but that may have more to do with Zaslav at WBD than anything else).

If Nexstar was smart they'd keep the network as-is with other production companies producing content for them. If they can stave off the losses and turn something close to a profit, it could work. But the CW has never made money and has always operated as a loss leader and that was even when the younger demo-strategy still WORKED.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

Paramount and Warners still hold minority stakes and will continue to supply programming, and unless something drastic happens, the existing streaming deal with Netflix will be unchanged. The biggest change has already happened with the mass cancellation of shows (but that may have more to do with Zaslav at WBD than anything else).

If Nexstar was smart they'd keep the network as-is with other production companies producing content for them. If they can stave off the losses and turn something close to a profit, it could work. But the CW has never made money and has always operated as a loss leader and that was even when the younger demo-strategy still WORKED.

I agree with this. This is the same problem UPN and The WB both had too.