Big Ten Signs Deals With Fox, NBC and CBS, Dropping ESPN/ABC

Georgie56

41 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

So Fox and CBS essentially keep their current prime college football windows, while NBC gets back into college football (not counting Notre Dame) for the first time in ages. And I’m sure ESPN is more than happy with their monopoly on the SEC.

Speaking of Notre Dame, one must wonder what the future of their program will be in light of these new TV deals. With the increasing consolidation occurring in college football, I imagine ND will link up with a conference (most likely the Big Ten) sooner than later.

EDIT: It’s also worth noting how the costs of these rights have increased. If the networks are willing to shell out more money for games that aren’t as strong, it shows that the networks need the sports leagues more than the sports leagues need them.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nomadcowatbk said:

which games get banished to Peacock and Paramount+?

“Banished” is an interesting word, implying that putting a game on streaming is negative. On college game days last year, people at my university would clamor to find someone whose parents pay for cable, just so they can use their credentials to stream it. By putting it on a more affordable service, it’ll be accessible to a wider audience who can’t afford a $60 monthly bill. And in turn, gives the broadcasters some extra revenue 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, froyo49 said:

“Banished” is an interesting word, implying that putting a game on streaming is negative. On college game days last year, people at my university would clamor to find someone whose parents pay for cable, just so they can use their credentials to stream it. By putting it on a more affordable service, it’ll be accessible to a wider audience who can’t afford a $60 monthly bill. And in turn, gives the broadcasters some extra revenue 

That’s true…until you realize that you’ll have to pay for both Paramount+ and Peacock, in addition to the existing streaming services you pay for to watch non-sports programming (Amazon, Disney+, Netflix, etc.) In many cases, it will add up to $60 a month anyway.

Price is becoming less of a factor when it comes to streaming services; saying that these streaming services are “affordable” is somewhat true compared to most cable services, but that’s a bit of a stretch for a lot of people. The real advantage with streaming services is that you aren’t tied down to a contract like cable/satellite, so you can cancel when the season’s over without extra fees.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

That’s true…until you realize that you’ll have to pay for both Paramount+ and Peacock, in addition to the existing streaming services you pay for to watch non-sports programming (Amazon, Disney+, Netflix, etc.) In many cases, it will add up to $60 a month anyway.

Price is becoming less of a factor when it comes to streaming services; saying that these streaming services are “affordable” is somewhat true compared to most cable services, but that’s a bit of a stretch for a lot of people. The real advantage with streaming services is that you aren’t tied down to a contract like cable/satellite, so you can cancel when the season’s over without extra fees.

Peacock Premium and Paramount+ combined are $10 a month ($8.75 with Paramount’s student discount). In fact, all five services you mentioned in your post come out to around $45, still far less than the average cable subscription of over $100. People tend to be mindful of their money and choose to not overspend on entertainment. So for many, including myself, that amount is even lower.

The point is moving a game online isn’t a “banishment,” it’s putting it where an increasing number of viewers are. Not to mention the broadcasters future proofing themselves as cable continues to decrease, and keeping the entire subscription fee instead of sharing with the cable companies. Plus getting free marketing for the rest of the shows on the services. Come for the football, stay for The Office or the iCarly revival or something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, froyo49 said:

Peacock Premium and Paramount+ combined are $10 a month ($8.75 with Paramount’s student discount). In fact, all five services you mentioned in your post come out to around $45, still far less than the average cable subscription of over $100. People tend to be mindful of their money and choose to not overspend on entertainment. So for many, including myself, that amount is even lower.

The point is moving a game online isn’t a “banishment,” it’s putting it where an increasing number of viewers are. Not to mention the broadcasters future proofing themselves as cable continues to decrease, and keeping the entire subscription fee instead of sharing with the cable companies. Plus getting free marketing for the rest of the shows on the services. Come for the football, stay for The Office or the iCarly revival or something.

I actually didn’t realize that about the combined cost, so I stand corrected. And I completely agree that those games aren’t being “banished” at all, even though (at least until those streaming services see further growth) the ratings for those games will be lower than those on, say, ESPN, it still beats being tied to cable for all of it. Live sports should substantially increase subscriptions to those services, and a relatively small player like Peacock could definitely use the boost.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I actually didn’t realize that about the combined cost, so I stand corrected. And I completely agree that those games aren’t being “banished” at all, even though (at least until those streaming services see further growth) the ratings for those games will be lower than those on, say, ESPN, it still beats being tied to cable for all of it.

I still remember the late 80s until BTN launched that trying to actually find a Big Ten game that wasn't the big ABC game of the week or on ESPN (and it took awhile for the Badgers to get there)...that meant you had to deal with syndication and ESPN+/Creative Sports and so many different presentations of the team from just game to game, or station to station (or just gave up and waited for the public television student broadcast replay in late night); there was pain when WMLW was still low-power in Milwaukee and you prayed your cable system picked it up because they had some games on that station and you couldn't get it at all.

At least now you get to see the game on a streaming service nationwide (and every game period; anyone born in 1980 like me doesn't know how much it used to suck to watch anyone but the big programs when the Badgers were literal football roadkill) with quality announcers and conference-minimum presentation requirements, not just whoever responded on the sports announcer/cameraman equivalent of Fivrr in 1995.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, froyo49 said:

the SEC allows ESPN to put one game per team on SEC+ each season, and those were the non con cupcakes last year

On 8/11/2022 at 1:08 PM, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I assume none as exclusives. You might see select, if not all games available on those platforms as simulcasts. 

maybe no conference match ups, but likely the non con cupcakes, like ESPN does with SEC+ games, which are also available on ESPN+, last year's Toledo-ND game was a Peacock exclusive

How does Lorne Michaels feel about more delays for SNL? 

https://uproxx.com/sports/saturday-night-live-clemson-notre-dame-delay-overtime-news/

Edited by nomadcowatbk
  • Like 2

With NBC now having a regular Saturday night football package, I wonder how they'll pacify Lorne if we get a nine-overtime game like we got last year...along with the stations who may just have to do a speed-run five minute newscast.

And for next year, will CBSSN get some Big Ten overflow action if CBS has to move onto the SEC at 3:30...or even someplace else like MTV based on ubiquitous carriage/other conflicts.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

With NBC now having a regular Saturday night football package, I wonder how they'll pacify Lorne if we get a nine-overtime game like we got last year...along with the stations who may just have to do a speed-run five minute newscast.

And for next year, will CBSSN get some Big Ten overflow action if CBS has to move onto the SEC at 3:30...or even someplace else like MTV based on ubiquitous carriage/other conflicts.

I imagine NBC will try to angle for as many 7/7:30e starts as they’re able when SNL is new (as they do for the ND deal) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glimmer said:

I imagine NBC will try to angle for as many 7/7:30e starts as they’re able when SNL is new (as they do for the ND deal) 

Ahh, that makes sense (as ABC has done for their Saturday Night Football games as of late). With the way college football has gone longer and longer that makes sense to do and sets up some good days for NBC where Notre Dame leads into the Big Ten. I don't know why I keep thinking of 8pm starts (no, I do; I'm old 😂).

To answer the streaming question, all NBC and CBS broadcasts will be simulcast on their respective streamers:

Every CBS Big Ten football and basketball broadcast will also be streamed on Paramount+ … Each Big Ten game on NBC broadcast will also be simul-streamed on Peacock, NBCUniversal's direct-to-consumer streaming service

No word on any Fox streaming simulcast, which I guess makes sense because they don’t really have a paid service. Wonder if that’ll change soon

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 3:09 PM, mrschimpf said:

Also wouldn't shock me if this eventually means Notre Dame will be tempted to go to the Big Ten, where they have always long been rumored to have a red carpet invite to join at any time, and would also create a natural rivalry with Northwestern, which like Notre Dame is an academically gifted private school with long traditions in various aspects of campus life including athletics (at least outside of basketball where Northwestern only recently got into the Big Dance), and also have sizable fanbases (albeit with Notre Dame's being far bigger) in the Chicago market for which South Bend has long been a key secondary market for Chicago's sports teams (which explains why WSJV went from ABC to Fox in the '90s with the Bears being a big reason why).

As far as Lorne Michaels is concerned, NBC will have no choice but to start its games exactly just after 7PM ET/4PM PT with the window going no later than Midnight ET/9PM PT. In other words, Saturday Night Live is going to become to college football and NBC what 60 Minutes has always been to the NFL and CBS. For instance, a college football game can run for about 3 to 3 1/2 hours, which allows enough time for NBC to carry some highlights in the void between circa 10:30PM and 11PM, allowing for the affiliates to air their drive-by Saturday newscast (which as @mrschimpfdescribed on the TEGNA thread under Corporate Chat recently, is merely about the weekend crime and fire blotter - which is actually quite big in Houston compared to other markets, plus weekend festivals/funruns/rallies and the usual mix of corporate must-runs + human interest fluff from the weekdays) before SNL.

If a game goes beyond four hours, then the affiliates can have the option to either push the late news either to a duopoly partner, another company's Fox or CW station with a news-share agreement (e.g. WPGH in the case of WPXI) or even to a sister streaming outlet (like what KPRC just launched under the KPRC+ banner), or simply not air a newscast altogether. Because when it comes to master control at 30 Rock on a Saturday night, even and especially during college football season (due to the political calendar, sweeps and the holiday shows all happening simultaneously as well), the most important job is NOT to push Saturday Night Live past midnight in New York City. In other words, NBC should be prepared to utilize Peacock or even USA in a situation where a Big Ten game goes past Midnight on the East Coast.

Edited by SS8609
  • Sad 1

On 8/18/2022 at 6:33 PM, froyo49 said:

To answer the streaming question, all NBC and CBS broadcasts will be simulcast on their respective streamers:

No word on any Fox streaming simulcast, which I guess makes sense because they don’t really have a paid service. Wonder if that’ll change soon

‘Sports on tubi’ offers 10 (or so) live Sports Channels (Fox Sports, MLB network, etc…). Now I don’t believe they air a direct simulcast of FS1, the ‘possibility’ does exist.

23 hours ago, SS8609 said:

Also wouldn't shock me if this eventually means Notre Dame will be tempted to go to the Big Ten, where they have always long been rumored to have a red carpet invite to join at any time, and would also create a natural rivalry with Northwestern, which like Notre Dame is an academically gifted private school with long traditions in various aspects of campus life including athletics (at least outside of basketball where Northwestern only recently got into the Big Dance), and also have sizable fanbases (albeit with Notre Dame's being far bigger) in the Chicago market for which South Bend has long been a key secondary market for Chicago's sports teams (which explains why WSJV went from ABC to Fox in the '90s with the Bears being a big reason why).

As far as Lorne Michaels is concerned, NBC will have no choice but to start its games exactly just after 7PM ET/4PM PT with the window going no later than Midnight ET/9PM PT. In other words, Saturday Night Live is going to become to college football and NBC what 60 Minutes has always been to the NFL and CBS. For instance, a college football game can run for about 3 to 3 1/2 hours, which allows enough time for NBC to carry some highlights in the void between circa 10:30PM and 11PM, allowing for the affiliates to air their drive-by Saturday newscast (which as @mrschimpfdescribed on the TEGNA thread under Corporate Chat recently, is merely about the weekend crime and fire blotter - which is actually quite big in Houston compared to other markets, plus weekend festivals/funruns/rallies and the usual mix of corporate must-runs + human interest fluff from the weekdays) before SNL.

If a game goes beyond four hours, then the affiliates can have the option to either push the late news either to a duopoly partner, another company's Fox or CW station with a news-share agreement (e.g. WPGH in the case of WPXI) or even to a sister streaming outlet (like what KPRC just launched under the KPRC+ banner), or simply not air a newscast altogether. Because when it comes to master control at 30 Rock on a Saturday night, even and especially during college football season (due to the political calendar, sweeps and the holiday shows all happening simultaneously as well), the most important job is NOT to push Saturday Night Live past midnight in New York City. In other words, NBC should be prepared to utilize Peacock or even USA in a situation where a Big Ten game goes past Midnight on the East Coast.

The Clemson-ND game gave me a taste of that XFL game in 01 (cant remember the teams, just remember how it delayed SNL).  Lorne is going have to get used to it with CFB.

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 11:55 AM, jase said:

‘Sports on tubi’ offers 10 (or so) live Sports Channels (Fox Sports, MLB network, etc…). Now I don’t believe they air a direct simulcast of FS1, the ‘possibility’ does exist.

The FOX Sports channel on Tubi and other services is just a "Best of" of their programming.