New/Updated WMAQ Set Coming Soon

R.R.

On 8/11/2022 at 1:59 AM, Weeters said:

Studio B is 4,000 square feet, which could be made manageable by splitting it in two like NBC is doing in NY with 3B right now, but it's currently listed as rented, and then you lose that space for smaller shows that might not need 10,000 sq. ft.

They're probably going to be stuck in that corner of the newsroom until NBC shells out some serious cash on finding new studio space in the building, or completely gut the newsroom and turn it into a studio, moving the newsroom elsewhere.

Telemundo Chicago’s set is still relatively new. I give them maybe a couple more years before it’s time. There last set was 2014 2 years from now it will be 2024 there current set is from 2014 (wow it’s already been 10 years time goes by fast). I think NBC should replicate what there doing in New York or I think they could do two sets on both sides of the newsroom like MSNBC did. Especially with 10,000 which is more than enough to fit a newsroom but factor in there’s a second news department. The 4,000 Sq feet could be NBC Sports Chicago.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 2:10 PM, Gavin M. said:

I think NBC should replicate what there doing in New York or I think they could do two sets on both sides of the newsroom like MSNBC did.

When Telemundo Chicago moved to the NBC Tower in 2003, the space was split in half with WMAQ (newsroom & set) on one side and WSNS (newsroom & set) on the other. NBC is doing (essentially) the same thing with WNBC & WNJU.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jase said:

When Telemundo Chicago moved to the NBC Tower in 2003, the space was split in half with WMAQ (newsroom & set) on one side and WSNS (newsroom & set) on the other. NBC is doing (essentially) the same thing with WNBC & WNJU.

To a degree yes however 3B is being split to two studio 3B-1 and 3B-2 I forget the square feet for 3B studio all together in New York. Furthermore, they will share a newsroom not sure on the same floor. But no this isn’t essentially what NBC is doing like what they did in Chicago they scrapped that plan.

Edited by Gavin M.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

A little set update: Marion Brooks is back from vacation this week and posted on Facebook today to look for the new set next week. 

This would (somewhat) line up with the assumption that this would be a 2 week process start to finish. It will be interesting to see what they come up with in such a small space.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

Well if it only took 2  weeks. I wouldnt expect any thing spectacular.  A new desk is likely. But for the most parts the big screens will probably be where they are. They probably just installed some columns and panels to cover the places around the screens and thats about it. Because those pieces could have already started to be fabricated well before. Basically there was actually no set there any more. It was just a desk and several huge screens. And because the space is so cramped we will rarely see any wide shots anyway. NBC no longer seems to want to spend money on any major changes at NBC Tower. WMAQ in my opinion always feels  "off" creatively when you compare it to the other NBC O&O's. It doesnt feel as "big-market" at is should. It hasnt felt that way in years. From the theme music choice. The cheap "bouncing" Michigan Ave camera view behind the anchors. Some their dubious anchor choices. I could go on...but I dont have much hope in anything impressive happening in 2 weeks. And as was said they certainly didnt take over one of the large production studios. So anything is better than the spare looking space they were using, but somehow Im sure WMAQ will make it look cheap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mouseboy33 said:

Well if it only took 2  weeks. I wouldnt expect any thing spectacular.  A new desk is likely. But for the most parts the big screens will probably be where they are. They probably just installed some columns and panels to cover the places around the screens and thats about it. Because those pieces could have already started to be fabricated well before. Basically there was actually no set there any more. It was just a desk and several huge screens. And because the space is so cramped we will rarely see any wide shots anyway. 

I agree. I think we'll get mostly a refresh but the screens will most likely still be there since they just installed them a few months ago. I know COVID really put a squash to a lot of the wide shots and everything is in boxes. I miss those though. They gave the newscast some depth. With them having a tight space they still made it work when tossing to weather and sports at their locations. I would like to see them go back to this again. I think with the new screens though they weren't able to pull that effect off without showing their black curtains at the top and bottom of the screens. So hopefully this update will help them to achieve wide shots again. 

2 hours ago, mouseboy33 said:

NBC no longer seems to want to spend money on any major changes at NBC Tower. WMAQ in my opinion always feels  "off" creatively when you compare it to the other NBC O&O's. It doesn't feel as "big-market" at is should. It hasn't felt that way in years. 

I also agree with this. In 2012 when they did the full makeover it felt very fresh and so new. New set, logo, music, and graphics. They had great promos and really made an effort. Over the years its felt stale. The set has gone through so many different upgrades but home base basically is the same except for the backgrounds screens. It's like there's been no effort or a cohesive effort. Their creative promos are gone. They don't even use a full VO anymore. Although I know that seems to be a trend nowadays. I hope they can get back to how they were in 2012. I feel they were really energized and put in so much effort to be competitive in the market. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mouseboy33 said:

Well if it only took 2  weeks. I wouldnt expect any thing spectacular.  A new desk is likely. But for the most parts the big screens will probably be where they are. They probably just installed some columns and panels to cover the places around the screens and thats about it. Because those pieces could have already started to be fabricated well before. Basically there was actually no set there any more. It was just a desk and several huge screens. And because the space is so cramped we will rarely see any wide shots anyway. NBC no longer seems to want to spend money on any major changes at NBC Tower. WMAQ in my opinion always feels  "off" creatively when you compare it to the other NBC O&O's. It doesnt feel as "big-market" at is should. It hasnt felt that way in years. From the theme music choice. The cheap "bouncing" Michigan Ave camera view behind the anchors. Some their dubious anchor choices. I could go on...but I dont have much hope in anything impressive happening in 2 weeks. And as was said they certainly didnt take over one of the large production studios. So anything is better than the spare looking space they were using, but somehow Im sure WMAQ will make it look cheap.

I agree the set looked really lazy and cheap by the end of its run. They have so many green screens and huge monitors with lack of panels. The afternoon and evening anchors are fine. The morning news saw so much changes within the last 2+ years. Michelle has gotten better but I cringe when Patrick anchors. Plus, Idk why they keep using Kate Chappell as the main weekday fill in, she's not even weekend morning anchor material. They really should start poaching talent from ABC7. Overall, WMAQ has gotten lazy  and cheap with their sets and don't care about trying to catch up to ABC7.

Edited by WeatherandTraffic

I dont want to start bashing Ch5. Creatively it feels off. Seems like when they start using the NBC mandate graphics it just went off a cliff. I think about the themes used by WNBC and KNBC just how they seem a bit more "peppy-er" than WMAQ.  I've never been a fan of the announcer or the locked down cameras. Especially when you look back to 90s and how "Big" that station felt. NBC in my opinion has alway been at the very top when it comes to news as far as production, sets, lighting, graphics etc. And you can see that continue at the affiliate level in NY, LA Miami Boston and then you look at WMAQ its not there. I cant chalk it all of space either. WNBC had that tiny set for few years and it looked great. Now WMAQ has all these screens and the beauty shots of the city looks awful. A prime example its the image used for temporary set. I cant imagine KNBC or WNBC doing anything like that. Especially when you think they are broadcasting from a huge a tower with an NBC Peacock proudly displayed (yes I know they dont own the building). Just tired of such a massive creative step down from the #1 station (WLS) to Ch5.

Some of the current crop of anchors dont have the big city gravitas. Glad they bought Stefan Holt back he learned well from his father. Because the other male anchors dont have the "Bill Curtis anchor presence".  They hardly compare to Dick Johnson, Warner Saunders,etc. Currently a very very weak anchor team in my opinion. Most are fine as reporter but they are basically telepropter readers and thats about it. The weakness shows when there is a major story.

Edited by mouseboy33
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 9:08 AM, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Looks like the end of the week is the debut. Michelle Relerford eluded on Facebook to Friday being the big debut. My assumption would be Thursday as they typically debut at 4pm and the morning crew gets it the next day. 

Michelle (along with Patrick) posted a video earlier today saying that it could be 'another week' (or so) before the new set is revealed. Sounds like it's done (she says it's 'beautiful'). What I do know is that the black curtain that surrounds most of the set remains (as of this past Wednesday) which means they decided against using the newsroom as a backdrop again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, R.R. said:

The new set looks amazing!

72AD4E66-A0BD-403E-A484-A42A6701B64A.jpeg

1E92DB16-1BF9-481D-B7AC-57B4A2944120.jpeg

Agreed. Long overdue. My only criticism is that they should really stop using the Michigan Avenue video feed as a backdrop. There’s a thousand different options available to use. Be creative!!!

Edited by jase
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

The new set really does look great. 

question, how does the size compare to that of WVIT-Hartford? I ask because while fairly new, the Hartford set looks low budget and not that good. The ‘big’ LED walls aren’t as expansive as they can be. The dual ones even have terrible resolution and instead of being split with the faux wood should be a continuous curved wall. In fact, I don’t see why WVIT can’t replicate the WMAQ set (other than cost being a factor due to market size)

Edited by Jman7885

Definitely a nice facelift and FINALLY a new desk. I cannot tell if its a video screen one or if that NBC Chicago logo is physically on it. I don't like that they used the NBC Chicago logo . It looks blurry at times. The set is a lot brighter! I have a feeling those LED's can change colors where the brick is and around the screens. It would be nice if they could use orange for mornings. I think its a nice touch when WTVJ does it. I loved that they brought back the wide shots! Hopefully those stay across all newscasts and not just today to show it off. One thing I don't think will last long are the glass dividers between the spaces. I don't think its needed. Sure it breaks up the spaces but kind of redundant if you do a wide shot. They did some nice angles as they were going to break today. Here is how they used the set at 11am and will provide more to see how they use the set during the 4pm. 

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

Picture5.png

Picture6.png

Picture7.png

Picture8.png

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Definitely a nice facelift and FINALLY a new desk. I cannot tell if its a video screen one or if that NBC Chicago logo is physically on it. I don't like that they used the NBC Chicago logo . It looks blurry at times. The set is a lot brighter! I have a feeling those LED's can change colors where the brick is and around the screens. It would be nice if they could use orange for mornings. I think its a nice touch when WTVJ does it. I loved that they brought back the wide shots! Hopefully those stay across all newscasts and not just today to show it off. They did some nice shots as they were going to break today. Here is how they used the set at 11am and will provide more to see how they use the set during the 4pm. 

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

Picture5.png

Picture6.png

Picture7.png

Picture8.png

I like the design references to the Chicago flag in those last three pics. IMO, this is one of the best sets in the entire station group.

• Like 4

Better than what KNTV put together 

The stripes on the desk are nice, and add some urgency 

White for the walls is jarring, maybe they'll soften that up later 

A masthead banner with 'NBC 5 News Chicago' above the main screen would be a nice branding touch, and maybe lose the 'Chicago' on the desk if that looks redundant

Wonder how the anchor close-ups look 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, sfomspphl said:

Better than what KNTV put together 

The stripes on the desk are nice, and add some urgency 

White for the walls is jarring, maybe they'll soften that up later 

A masthead banner with 'NBC 5 News Chicago' above the main screen would be a nice branding touch, and maybe lose the 'Chicago' on the desk if that looks redundant

Wonder how the anchor close-ups look 

Since they didn't change the background screen I didn't include the anchor close up's since nothings changed there. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Definitely a nice facelift and FINALLY a new desk. I cannot tell if its a video screen one or if that NBC Chicago logo is physically on it. I don't like that they used the NBC Chicago logo . It looks blurry at times. The set is a lot brighter! I have a feeling those LED's can change colors where the brick is and around the screens. It would be nice if they could use orange for mornings.

Picture5.png

Picture7.png

I could be wrong, but it looks like the logo is attached to a clear screen with clear lines attached along the sides (with light being projected onto them). It also appears the lights aren't working for the line at the top. I agree that it looks like LEDs (and the front of the desk) could change colors (i.e..red for breaking news, etc..). Nevertheless, they did a really good job in a short amount of time.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 24994J said:

We're so busy talking about stuff that can change colors, but no one mentioned the possibility of this.

142470154_bandicam2022-09-1222-06-47-252.thumb.png.8bbc07dd15ad8460ff0fea6d0e6fe41e.png

So the peacock logo is actually translucent with color lights behind it or is each feather a different color light? A cool feature regardless. Also, looks like Brant still uses the green screen and not the curved video wall. Not sure he did all his weather reports that way or uses both. He ended the newscast at the green screen.

Edited by jase

13 minutes ago, jase said:

So the peacock logo is actually translucent with color lights behind it or is each feather a different color light? A cool feature regardless. Also, looks like Brant still uses the green screen and not the curved video wall. Not sure he did all his weather reports that way or uses both. He ended the newscast at the green screen.

Since COVID Brant has been using the temp area upstairs and not in the studio. No idea if he will join them. I hope so. I liked how Paul uses the video screen and Stefan interacted with him there at 4pm today.  There is also another video screen to the left of that curved screen. Allison showed it at 10pm today. I wonder if they only have 1 green screen now in the studio instead of the 2. It'll be interesting to see how the morning crew utilizes the set. 

Ultimately, it's none of our business, but I'd guess there's a certain Covid-related reason that two of the top meteorologists (Miller & Cheryl Scott) in town use other studios, away from their fellow on-air talent, but that's not a discussion for this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2