"Days of Our Lives" moving to Peacock

Big Rollo Smokes

I felt as this news deserved its own thread.

NBC announced yesterday (8/3) that original episodes of its longest-running scripted series and lone remaining soap opera will move exclusively to the NBCUniversal-owned streaming service. The sands in the hourglass will run out for the last time on NBC's broadcast affiliates on Sept. 9.

The following Monday (9/12) NBC News will take over the Days of Our Lives hour with NBC News Daily, which will also be streamed over Peacock and NBC News Now.

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

I felt as this news deserved its own thread.

NBC announced yesterday (8/3) that original episodes of its longest-running scripted series and lone remaining soap opera will move exclusively to the NBCUniversal-owned streaming service. The sands in the hourglass will run out for the last time on NBC's broadcast affiliates on Sept. 9.

The following Monday (9/12) NBC News will take over the Days of Our Lives hour with NBC News Daily, which will also be streamed over Peacock and NBC News Now.

I was just thinking that. It should’ve had its own thread yesterday. And with apologies to Salt Lake City where they will have to drop one of their syndies if they clear this, it didn’t belong in the syndicated thread.

5 minutes ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

That is major because the writing is on the wall for soaps. Networks wants to get out that business and more into the daytime news business. If you are CBS or ABC you are looking if this moves works for NBC because if it does…. Goodbye Soaps!

CBS Afternoons by the middle of the decade?

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Nelson R. said:

Maybe or How CBS has success with game shows… maybe something there.  But I could easily see CBS giving the 12:30 to stations and launching a CBS Afternoon News thing if this NBC thing works.

• Like 1

Reposting what I wrote originally on the "NBC News Daily" thread:

Even after the cancellations of All My Children and One Life to Live, this move genuinely shocks me because I really thought soap operas still have some staying power on television in this day and age. But it's a much better fate for it than cancellation, assuming by the success it's spinoff Beyond Salem has on Peacock.

2 hours ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

Maybe or How CBS has success with game shows… maybe something there.  But I could easily see CBS giving the 12:30 to stations and launching a CBS Afternoon News thing if this NBC thing works.

It'd be interesting to see whether CBS would put The Young & The Restless and The Bold & The Beautiful over on Paramount+ at some point if their days on CBS is numbered.

2 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Reposting what I wrote originally on the "NBC News Daily" thread:

Even after the cancellations of All My Children and One Life to Live, this move genuinely shocks me because I really thought soap operas still have some staying power on television in this day and age. But it's a much better fate for it than cancellation, assuming by the success it's spinoff Beyond Salem has on Peacock.

We discussed in the NBC News Daily thread Peacock the idea of that streaming service acquiring P&G soaps.  I especially miss seeing Another World, As The World Turns, and Guiding Light.  Even though GL may have been on life support in its last few years on the air, ATWT and AW were getting better when they ended.  I think if P&G had allowed CBS or NBC buy ownership of them, those shows would've been on a few years longer or still be on.  Another idea I've thought of would've been for them to be shorten to half-hour in length.

Edited by atlnewsfan03
Drop where I repeated myself
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

My take is this:

I've been a DOOL fan since 1987, though I haven't really watched much in recent years because of real life (and my local NBC station moving it to 12 noon a few years ago). But remember when NBC took its last original soap, Passions off the network and moved it to DirecTV? It remained on five days a week, then was reduced to three days a week before it ended completely about a year after the move. And let's not forget about the short-lived web revivals of All My Children and One Life to Live after ABC killed those programs. And that was in a world before streaming.

Days of Our Lives is an expensive program to produce. I would expect some of the longer-tenured cast members (Deidre Hall, Alison Sweeney, Drake Hogestyn, Josh Taylor, etc.) are the highest paid. I don't think the ad revenues will be the same with streaming-only as opposed to broadcast. If budgets get reduced, expect a purge of cast and creative staff. I see the show surviving in this form no more than three years. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I was just thinking that. It should’ve had its own thread yesterday. And with apologies to Salt Lake City where they will have to drop one of their syndies if they clear this, it didn’t belong in the syndicated thread.

I don't think Hot Bench moving to overnights (or sold off to the Sinclair/Nexstar duops) will be a criticized move by KSL. It seems like they moved DOOL (as has been proven over the years) not because of any plots which went against "Mormon values" (like when they aired SNL again as their Saturday night Utes sports show declined), but they just plain got sick of having to shuffle around the schedule and deal with viewers when the show got pre-empted, so they just pushed it to overnights so that it had a steady timeslot where it's easily recorded without fear 95% of the time of a pre-emption.

They'll be fine to get a news show at that time...or just keep their schedule as-is if they fear the NBC News replacement ends up as sponcon fluff most days if ratings don't work out.

But the thing is the affiliates have lost power...like the 'you don't like it, deal' trash involving the College Football Playoff (and Rose Bowl) being cable-only, stations can no longer argue against the networks to keep shows, and it's terrible that now they have to play tech support to help their loyalist viewers navigate Peacock instead of having the recourse to just air the show if they chose to under an equivalent 'internal syndication' deal to the Litton E/I blocks.

• Like 3

Their viewership will drop in the 65+ demographic that often watches soaps. With inflation, streaming services will continue to increase prices.

But I doubt it lasts more than a year on Peacock. The hourglass is running out and the little old ladies will run to General Hospital with open arms at the 1:00 PT timeslot.

Also, more national news, like what we need on OTA TV during the daytime.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

I don't think Hot Bench moving to overnights

I mentioned in that thread that it would likely be the one to be bumped to overnights this year. The other stations probably have their schedules set for this year but next year I could see it moving stations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

My take is this:

I've been a DOOL fan since 1987, though I haven't really watched much in recent years because of real life (and my local NBC station moving it to 12 noon a few years ago). But remember when NBC took its last original soap, Passions off the network and moved it to DirecTV? It remained on five days a week, then was reduced to three days a week before it ended completely about a year after the move. And let's not forget about the short-lived web revivals of All My Children and One Life to Live after ABC killed those programs. And that was in a world before streaming.

Days of Our Lives is an expensive program to produce. I would expect some of the longer-tenured cast members (Deidre Hall, Alison Sweeney, Drake Hogestyn, Josh Taylor, etc.) are the highest paid. I don't think the ad revenues will be the same with streaming-only as opposed to broadcast. If budgets get reduced, expect a purge of cast and creative staff. I see the show surviving in this form no more than three years. 

Days' budget had been cut over the years. The shows model was to tape way in advancement, so in July they were taping Christmas shows.  A few years ago they fired the cast, but that was apart of the process for NBC to pay for the license fees. Sony treated Days' liked the red headed step child. They had reduced the pay for many of it actors, and the budget had been reduced alot. There was never any room in the budget for alot of things.

5 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Bold contract is up with CBS in 2023, and The Bell Family owns that show outright. They would have more staying power, because the show makes alot of $$$ overseas. The family both sold Bold and YR internationally.  As for YR they have the biggest budget too, but CBS has cut their license fees over the years. Veteran actors have taken paycuts over the years. YR as well Bold have made $$$ overseas selling the show internationally.

2 hours ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

It'd be interesting to see whether CBS would put The Young & The Restless and The Bold & The Beautiful over on Paramount+ at some point if their days on CBS is numbered.

We discussed in the NBC News Daily thread Peacock the idea of that streaming service acquiring P&G soaps.  I especially miss seeing Another World, As The World Turns, and Guiding Light.  Even though GL may have been on life support in its last few years on the air, ATWT and AW were getting better when they ended.  I think if P&G had allowed CBS or NBC buy ownership of them, those shows would've been on a few years longer or still be on.  Another idea I've thought of would've been for them to be shorten to half-hour in length.

One reason Another World was cut was because NBC wanted to owned the show.  P&G wasn't going to sell it to NBC so they axe the show for Passions.

P&G wanted out of the soap business with Guiding Light and World Turns.  Bold contract is up in 2023 & YR contract is up in 2024.  ABC owns General Hospital outright, so they can axe them at anytime they want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I know we joke about the age of the typical soap opera viewer, but university students were surprisingly loyal soap viewers, at least when I was in school. People would gather in the common areas of dorms to watch every day. That was also a time before cell phones, of course.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

It’s the end of an era losing the last signature program of NBC’s daytime schedule. Days has aired at 1pm ET since January 1979 and on the network since 1965. I have watched Days since 2012. I’ll sure have no use for the local NBC station anymore. I barely do for their primetime shows. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/5/2022 at 12:04 AM, johnothy said:

It’s the end of an era losing the last signature program of NBC’s daytime schedule. Days has aired at 1pm ET since January 1979 and on the network since 1965. I have watched Days since 2012. I’ll sure have no use for the local NBC station anymore. I barely do for their primetime shows. 

The last NBC program to air at 1pm before Days was Hollywood Squares. Days has aired in that time slot since March 5, 1979. I wasn’t yet 6 months old. Y&R wasn’t yet an hour show. TPIR was airing at 10:30 and wouldn’t move to 11am until April 23. http://daytimetvarchive.com/grids/1979.html

Edited by Nelson R.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:34 PM, TheRob said:

but university students were surprisingly loyal soap viewers, at least when I was in school. People would gather in the common areas of dorms to watch every day. That was also a time before cell phones, of course.

In the age of cell phones and instant gratification, I didn’t know anybody who watched soap operas on TV at my university. In fact, many off-campus apartments are dropping cable TV service in favor of faster internet. And unfortunately, DOOL can’t compete with TikTok and Netflix etc.

18 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I was surprised NBC is moving Days to Peacock I didn't see that one coming.

Apparently, much of the cast and crew didn't see it coming either.

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

Clearly the three Peacock specials were a test.  I guess there were enough viewers to justify it.  

I want to see the raw data, the numbers. Part of me thinks NBC was looking for an excuse to get the show off the network, and finally found a justification valid enough for them to spin.

But, I've read that DOOL executive producer Ken Corday say that the move may have saved the show in the long run. I don't see the wisdom in that, considering that many viewers will be left behind.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 7 months later...

Days late (pun unintended) mentioning this, but Days has apparently done well enough on Peacock to earn a two-season renewal, meaning that the soap (in its 58th season, as of this writing) will see its 60th anniversary season (2025-26). No word on if the Beyond Salem limited series will get a third season.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1