NBC News Daily

Georgie56

2 hours ago, newscopter7 said:

Didn’t ABC see erosion across the whole day part with the cancellation of AMC and OLTL? I think it’s a lot like NBC putting Megan Kelly on at 9. It pulled downed the the fourth hour’s numbers. Just like Jay Leno at 10 p.m. 

And I still miss AMC.

• Like 3

On 9/24/2022 at 8:36 PM, newscopter7 said:

Didn’t ABC see erosion across the whole day part with the cancellation of AMC and OLTL? I think it’s a lot like NBC putting Megan Kelly on at 9. It pulled downed the the fourth hour’s numbers. Just like Jay Leno at 10 p.m. 

yep. Because Today’s Take was doing good there was nothing wrong with it. Tamron, Al, Shanelle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Network News Music has the full NBC News Daily theme, interestingly there's 2 of them, and a story behind why, "the main theme that was slated for use in the open and bed, was replaced in favor of a different cut of the package. The “Pop Culture” theme became the main theme."  The themes were produced by the same people who made the Top Story with Tom Llamas theme. 

Have a listen: https://www.networknewsmusic.com/nbc-news-daily-theme/

Edited by jrogo

10 hours ago, jrogo said:

Network News Music has the full NBC News Daily theme, interestingly there's 2 of them, and a story behind why, "the main theme that was slated for use in the open and bed, was replaced in favor of a different cut of the package. The “Pop Culture” theme became the main theme."  The themes were produced by the same people who made the Top Story with Tom Llamas theme. 

Have a listen: https://www.networknewsmusic.com/nbc-news-daily-theme/

Interesting story. I like the lighter cut for the main theme. Fits better for a midday show.

Having the time to commission custom music makes me wonder when did NBC make the decision to launch this show considering the seemingly last minute public announcement.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

He left NBC News Daily a few months ago. I noticed when they changed the name on Hulu. He seems to be doing generic correspondent work. Kinda seems like they have him doing little stuff until his contract ends. 

I would have thought he or someone would have taken over the slot on NBC News Now that reairs Morning News Now before NBC News Daily starts. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Glad to see this. Wasn’t sure how successful it would be when it launched but it’s a much better hour than GMA3. It actually being live is a massive benefit.

15 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

Good for NBC. This is a much better approach than sticking with Days. 

Thing is, season-to-date average viewership (1.15 million) runs pretty close to what Days was pulling in before it was shifted to Peacock, so that metric doesn’t seem to have changed much for NBC News Daily. The only ratings improvement that it has shown over Days is likely in the 25–54 demographic, and in viewer retention from lead-in local programming.

Otherwise, NBC remains in third place among the Big Three networks during the afternoon, as it has been since c. the mid-1980s (when the network had four soaps—Days, Another World [which was then beginning its steady decline after showrunner Paul Rauch and head writer Harding Lemay left], Santa Barbara and Search for Tomorrow [which got cancelled for a second time in 1986]—plus game/talk shows in daytime).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

14 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

14 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

Good for NBC. This is a much better approach than sticking with Days. 

I had noticed that KSL had started clearing it and glad the reason was just because of syndie contracts.

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

I had noticed that KSL had started clearing it and glad the reason was just because of syndie contracts.

It should be noted, though, why it wasn’t clearing Days in pattern and only airing syndies in the early afternoon before NBC News Daily debuted.

It’s believed that the show’s storylines involving the coming out of Will Horton (Sami and Lucas’ son) and his subsequent relationship with eventual husband Sonny Kiriakis didn’t sit well with KSL management (citing less-than-progressive attitudes towards the LGBTQ+ community among sections of Utah’s Mormon community), prompting them to bust the show to the 1:05 a.m. slot—which it held for the rest of Days’ NBC run—in 2013. (KSL parent Bonneville International is owned by the LDS Church, and some of the church’s beliefs have seeped into the station’s programming decisions during its affiliations with CBS and NBC, contributing to certain network shows being preempted because of content that management deemed objectionable.)

This continued after Will and Sonny left the canvas in 2020 (only making short-term return appearances thereafter); although the show had a similar same-sex relationship storyline involving Will’s younger half-sister Allie in the final year of the NBC run (that continued into the first year of the Peacock run, before the actress who played Allie left a few months ago).

It is also theorized that KSL wanting to boost ad revenue by having more control over its daytime schedule, and the overnight slot making it easier for Days fans to record episodes without being subjected to breaking news preemptions that would often occur in the afternoon (supposedly reducing viewer complaints) were reasons for the move.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Thing is, season-to-date average viewership (1.15 million) runs pretty close to what Days was pulling in before it was shifted to Peacock, so that metric doesn’t seem to have changed much for NBC News Daily. The only ratings improvement that it has shown over Days is likely in the 25–54 demographic, and in viewer retention from lead-in local programming.

It’s not as if improvement in a key demo and improved content retention for your (sometimes rambunctious) affiliates are nothing. Those are wins unto themselves. And there is runway to build. Days is what it is, and you’re not going to be able to do much more with that on the broadcast network side. If they can make it work on the streaming side, more power to them. That’s a bonus. 

4 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

I'm surprised. NBC News Daily It's a basic headline run down newscast like Early Today.

And that's why it's the perfect thing to watch during work or out in public. Very few talking heads, you can jump in and jump out, the graphics aren't complicated or flashy, and it's a show without MorningSave '82,000% off this Bluey toothbrush trimmer' spots. I'm happy with it, though I wish NBC News Now had control over breaking news rather than having to hand off to the Today or Nightly teams; when they do have to cover it they are much better at it than when the 1A control room and correspondent egos get in the way.

GMA3 was fine for awhile, but then the 8am hour team seemed to get more say and once that certain couple got forced out, they were able to get the show they wanted for the most part where it's all about selling and harmless news at noontime.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

And that's why it's the perfect thing to watch during work or out in public. Very few talking heads, you can jump in and jump out, the graphics aren't complicated or flashy, and it's a show without MorningSave '82,000% off this Bluey toothbrush trimmer' spots. I'm happy with it, though I wish NBC News Now had control over breaking news rather than having to hand off to the Today or Nightly teams; when they do have to cover it they are much better at it than when the 1A control room and correspondent egos get in the way.

GMA3 was fine for awhile, but then the 8am hour team seemed to get more say and once that certain couple got forced out, they were able to get the show they wanted for the most part where it's all about selling and harmless news at noontime.

I suppose my issue with News Daily is that it's yet another newscast on station lineups that are already saturated with heavy and repetitive local news output.

Then again, the syndication options are dry. What could NBC have put there? They've been reduced to airing Dateline  on o&o stations.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 10:28 PM, MediaZone4K said:

Then again, the syndication options are dry. What could NBC have put there? They've been reduced to airing Dateline  on o&o stations.

Lifestyle shows? Home renovation shows? Travel shows? I'm sure NBCU has some of those available in its back catalog.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mre29 said:

Lifestyle shows? Home renovation shows? Travel shows? I'm sure NBCU has some of those available in its back catalog.

They likely do, but that’s not important. This has proven to be a good, compatible option and a better fit in their lineup. If the viewers reject the newscast, then by all means, take a look at what you can do. They aren’t, at least as of today, no pun intended.

Yes, stations have added local news as a trend. But repetitive isn’t an issue if, like most viewers, you’re not watching it all. I leave the house by 5 am most days, having caught some of the 4:30 newscast. It doesn’t matter if that content repeats in large part as I’m not watching. My kid typically watches just the 6:30 segment ahead of school. Doesn’t matter what they ran earlier. People by and large aren’t watching 3 hours intently. Some may have it on for hours for background noise, or the feeling of company like my grandmother did back in the day. She didn’t much know or care what most of the lineup was…other than All My Children…it was simply sound in an otherwise empty house.

• Like 3
  • Thought-Provoking 1

3 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

They likely do, but that’s not important. This has proven to be a good, compatible option and a better fit in their lineup. If the viewers reject the newscast, then by all means, take a look at what you can do. They aren’t, at least as of today, no pun intended.

Yes, stations have added local news as a trend. But repetitive isn’t an issue if, like most viewers, you’re not watching it all. I leave the house by 5 am most days, having caught some of the 4:30 newscast. It doesn’t matter if that content repeats in large part as I’m not watching. My kid typically watches just the 6:30 segment ahead of school. Doesn’t matter what they ran earlier. People by and large aren’t watching 3 hours intently. Some may have it on for hours for background noise, or the feeling of company like my grandmother did back in the day. She didn’t much know or care what most of the lineup was…other than All My Children…it was simply sound in an otherwise empty house.

14 hours ago, mre29 said:

Both fair points.

It seems stations aren't going for retaining a daylong audience but rather catching people in and out. For the people that do watch daytime tv for hours --I would like to see the percentage who still do--all news all day must suck. 

The issue also lies on smaller market one man band MMJs who's news directors may be asking to turn a package multiple ways for the umpteen newscasts.  

• Like 1

Even for dear old grandmom, outside of the one thing she paid attention to, the rest didn’t matter. Did anyone (in any significant numbers) really watch (as in engaged) all day long? In the days of games and soaps, were the Price is Right fans really sticking around through four soaps or whatever it was? 

And look, if someone really does actively watch all day, on say NBC, is that all that different from someone watching CNN etc? Today occupies four hours but by design the 9 and 10 am hours are different. NBC News Daily is different again. 

The one-man band crews, yeah, that’s hard. But then again, many jobs are rough, and you push through and hopefully move on, whatever your field. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

The one-man band crews, yeah, that’s hard. But then again, many jobs are rough, and you push through and hopefully move on, whatever your field. 

Again, fair points.

Unfortunately, from working in the industry and seeing journalist vlogs, it seems people are leaving for PR in droves because of that...among other problems. 

21 hours ago, Abraham J. Simpson said:

And look, if someone really does actively watch all day, on say NBC, is that all that different from someone watching CNN etc? Today occupies four hours but by design the 9 and 10 am hours are different. NBC News Daily is different again. 

A lot of the topical talk shows like The Talk, and The View discuss the very same news headlines. So even non-news products are feeding into the repitition.

Overall, my point is, is it possible to do something profitable, different , and of good quality that draws ratings---rather than low effort programing.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1