NBC News Daily

Georgie56

9 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

That video background has a little too much depth, too much going on. 

Again it's just more of the same: Trump, inflation, COVID and now the Queen. In this era of news saturation, it's every station clamoring to cover the same thing rather than aiming for some streak of uniqueness. 

I can't act like Days of Our Lives was in the best condition before it got taken off the air, but it will be missed. 

I wonder how long Dateline at 1 PM with last. 

I agree the background is a lot to take in. I do 'hope' that they offer viewers something different as time goes on because a rehash of news/topics that have already been covered hours before is a waste. 'Dateline in the Daytime' feels like a placeholder (or should be). It will be interesting to see what they come up with for that hour. 

• Like 2

The show is so dry it might as well be Early Today. That's fine at 3:30am in the morning when you have no expectations, but not as a mid-day program. I'm all for a basic news rundown show but I didn't need it to be this basic and unchanged from the streaming feed where you can just see the affiliates watching and being like 'you know what? We agree Irma, give us Days back!' and seeing people flip over to a more dynamic GMA3.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 9/12/2022 at 11:08 PM, mrschimpf said:

The show is so dry it might as well be Early Today. That's fine at 3:30am in the morning when you have no expectations, but not as a mid-day program. I'm all for a basic news rundown show but I didn't need it to be this basic and unchanged from the streaming feed where you can just see the affiliates watching and being like 'you know what? We agree Irma, give us Days back!' and seeing people flip over to a more dynamic GMA3.

You literally took the words right out of my mouth. The program looks and feels like an early morning national newscast. Random unknown anchors that differ based on time zone, and cheap lower thirds. To it's credit the program does look better aesthetically and graphics wise than GMA 3.

It was very poetic that the final scene of Days of our Lives was interrupted by a special report, lol. What a lackluster finale that was for Days. No speech at the beginning of the episode thanking fans for the years of watching, or trying to usher them to Peacock. Just business as usual with no grand finale or excitement. As much as we hate on these replacement daytime shows, soaps have not been doing much to help themselves in the past few years. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Sad 1

One thing regarding anchors... To an NBC News Viewer - they should all be recognizable. Vicky Nguyen is on the Today Show as the consumer correspondent. Morgan Radford is a veteran correspondent and occasional guest co-host on weekend-today.  Aaron Gilchrist is the newest to the NBC family, while Kate Snow is another veteran who anchored on MSNBC daily in the past and now is on Weekend Nightly News.

While i have not see Aaron and Kate together, i will say that I don't think Vicky and Morgan have any chemistry. It would almost be better if they moved Philip Mena off Early today and paired him with Morgan or even made Steven Romo an anchor and paired him with one of them.  Vicky and Morgan are great, but just not a good pair.

Another idea would be to pair Morgan with Jose Diaz Balart. The issue there would be location as Jose is based in Miami. Then MSNBC can re-align its daytime line-up and perhaps include Vicky Nguyen there? Or Swap Vicky with Morgan and have Morgan anchor an hour of MSNBC Reports...

Edited by Jman7885
  • Like 5

At 1:22 & 1:52 PM  KUSA cut in with an update.  These news updates were 5mins each, typically a "TODAY SHOW" news update is around 2:30 mins.    I wasn't expecting a local news update to be honest.  

I'm curious are other stations doing local news cut ins?

20 minutes ago, DENDude said:

At 1:22 & 1:52 PM  KUSA cut in with an update.  These news updates were 5mins each, typically a "TODAY SHOW" news update is around 2:30 mins.    I wasn't expecting a local news update to be honest.  

I'm curious are other stations doing local news cut ins?

Yes. There are opt-out periods around those times during the show where affiliates can do cut-ins.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 2

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but apparently the overnight repeats of Top Story w/ Tom Llamas on NBC stations are now using the bug for NBC News Daily!

It used to be the NBC News Now logo animation with the word "NOW" deleted. This screenshot was taken from earlier this morning...

nbc-news-daily-tomllamas.thumb.png.a6ca7009d25bb9a453024ff50a4ea8cf.png

Both of my NBC station's cut-ins (WTVJ) are live at 1:22 and 1:52pm.

Also I wanna say that this alone is why I prefer NBC ND over GMA3 but if that wasn't included, I'd still think I would prefer NBC ND over GMA3 because it just looks like a better more straight to the point newshour than GMA3 is.

Edited by TheRolyPoly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PTVNews said:

The 1pm hour is an odd time for affiliates to fill with live news cut-ins. The morning crew normally will have left and the evening crew not yet in. Seems like stations would likely be prerecording something from their morning/noon team...

KXAS’s cut-ins, branded The Connection, are done live with 4pm anchor Kristi Nelson.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PTVNews said:

The 1pm hour is an odd time for affiliates to fill with live news cut-ins. The morning crew normally will have left and the evening crew not yet in. Seems like stations would likely be prerecording something from their morning/noon team...

Its usually an afternoon or midday crew who would do it since having a morning team doing it would be so much longer of a day for them.

For my NBC station WTVJ, the midday team at noon and 4pm do the live cut-ins.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If those 1/2 million were a majority 54+, then they've done their job in making the audience younger, or at least made the 70+'s flee the timeslot.

Plus it's a soap opera site so of course they're going to be giddy about it losing women; NBC likely wants a 50/50 mix.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

They use a transitional sound effect which could best be described as "fairy dust sprinkle" which I really don't understand. 

And while you can look at the viewership as "look how many less people are watching compared to DOOL at those hours", there's also "look as all these additional eyes on top of who was already streaming NBC News Now as those hours". Who was expecting them to keep DOOL viewership numbers? You wouldn't look at next-day numbers of a station flipping from Oldies to Top 40 and go "wow, nobody's listening to them!"- give it at least a month, then bash away if/when the numbers are still dismal. I'd imagine what NBC is particularly interested in is what their ratings eventually look like compared to GMA3.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, newscopter7 said:

I doubt NBC affiliates are happy with the show coming in dead last in daytime. 

I doubt the producing two hours or news for three-quarters of a million less viewers is a cost effective as you think. 

Let's remember here that BOTH NBC News Now/Daily and DOOL were both already on-air and remain that way - DOOL was NOT cancelled as some would say.  The only real difference is the news product is now streaming and broadcast instead of streaming only - and the entertainment product is now streaming only instead of streaming and broadcast.  Since DOOL is a Sony production with a multi-year contract the costs probably remain the same.

NBC therefore should be making MORE money with this move - NBC News Now would not have brought in the numbers of new Peacock subscribers (even at a big discount) that DOOL probably has.  Simply put - SAME cost + MORE revenue = BIGGER PROFITS for NBCU/Comcast.  Although that is not the same for the affiliates - they are the ones taking a hit.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1