NBC News Daily

Georgie56

1 minute ago, Nelson R. said:

I thought it was going to be at 1 in all time zones. But I guess stations could air it at noon Eastern/11am Central  if they wanted to. 

DOOL airs at noon in several O&O markets.  No word on what is going to happen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, C Block said:

I don't get the pessimism on here about this. The soaps have run their course. We've all known that for the better part of two decades now. NBC's also not going to replace it with any other kind of conventional program like another tired talk show. NBC News Now is a really high quality product, and this is a great opportunity to get traditional TV audiences to sample it. Somebody's finally going to try a true midday national newscast. I also don't think this is that much of a competitor response to GMA3 – that show is garbage, whereas NBC News Now is actual news.

It's not going to be pretty though when word gets back to the Days of Our Lives audience that their beloved show is moving to some far-flung internet outlet. I would not want to be answering phones at an NBC affiliate this fall, as that is a very small but pretty rabid fanbase. I remember whenever NBC would pre-empt DOOL for something else, such as the Olympics, the French Open or a news special report, a DOOL fan would call in and accuse *us,* not NBC, of pre-empting DOOL and would threaten to call NBC to get them to pull our affiliation. Lol.

It’s honestly a matter of time before CBS moves both Bell serials to Paramount+ in favor of a CBS News Streaming-produced midday news hour.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 3:57 AM, C Block said:

I don't get the pessimism on here about this. The soaps have run their course. We've all known that for the better part of two decades now. NBC's also not going to replace it with any other kind of conventional program like another tired talk show. NBC News Now is a really high quality product, and this is a great opportunity to get traditional TV audiences to sample it. Somebody's finally going to try a true midday national newscast. I also don't think this is that much of a competitor response to GMA3 – that show is garbage, whereas NBC News Now is actual news.

It's not going to be pretty though when word gets back to the Days of Our Lives audience that their beloved show is moving to some far-flung internet outlet. I would not want to be answering phones at an NBC affiliate this fall, as that is a very small but pretty rabid fanbase. I remember whenever NBC would pre-empt DOOL for something else, such as the Olympics, the French Open or a news special report, a DOOL fan would call in and accuse *us,* not NBC, of pre-empting DOOL and would threaten to call NBC to get them to pull our affiliation. Lol.

IMO thats the issue, more news. I'm not sure how high quality of a news product NBC News Daily will be if we use the Today Show and Nightly News as a barometer, not to mention MSNBC. Its probably going to be more of the same, COVID, Climate Change, Ukraine, Jan 6th/Trump, and Inflation, viral video, wash-rinse-repeat.

Plus, I think the pessimism stems from the fact that daytime television is now beoming a vat of  stale repetitive talkshows,  and local news overload.  As bad as soaps have become people still like the idea that  a bit of traditional comfort viewing remained in daytime.

14 hours ago, LVForward said:

That's 9 1/2 hours of news...maybe NBC needs to look into a cable news channel or streaming service instead... oh wait?!?

If you think this is bad, WBBH NBC 2 in Ft Myers, FL barely has a daytime lineup outside of news. The only thing keeping them from a 7 PM newscast is Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! 

39D174FC-A906-4D3B-9654-CD483057A913.jpeg

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

If you think this is bad, WBBH NBC 2 in Ft Myers, FL barely has a daytime lineup outside of news. The only thing keeping them from a 7 PM newscast is Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! 

If it wasn't for Scripps trying to make their Must-Run Hour a thing (along with advertorials), a lot of their NBC affiliates would be in the same position. We're also losing RightThisMinute, so that's a lot of stations that already had an hour free going into summer.

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

It’s honestly a matter of time before CBS moves both Bell serials to Paramount+ in favor of a CBS News Streaming-produced midday news hour.

CBS Daytime is proud of their 36-year daytime #1 streak, so just for that I wouldn't count it out yet just based on that boast; it'll be considered when ABC blinks and moves General Hospital to Freeform or Hulu or cancels it and CBS just declares 'flawless victory' by attrition. The Talk would likely go over the soaps for a newshour

More likely they want to hit that round number of 40 years, and then bring those shows to a dignified end with proper closures for both.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, iron_lion said:

IMO thats the issue, more news. I'm not sure how high quality of a new product NBC News Daily will be if we use the Today Show and Nightly News as a barometer, not to mention MSNBC. Its probably going to be more of the same, COVID, Climate Change, Ukraine, Jan 6th/Trump, and Inflation, viral video, wash-rinse-repeat.

Plus, I think the pessimism stems from the fact that daytime television is now beoming a vat of  stale repetitive talkshows,  and local news overload.  As bad as soaps have become people still like the idea that  a bit of traditional comfort viewing remained in daytime.

39D174FC-A906-4D3B-9654-CD483057A913.jpeg

That whole market is crazy.

WBBH is 4:30-7:00am, 11:00am-1:00pm, 3:00-6:30 and 11:00-11:35pm.

WINK is 4:30-7:00am, 12:00-12:30pm, 3:00-6:30, 7:00-7:30 and 11:00-11:35pm. It also does 7:00-11:00am, 6:30-7:00 and 10:00-11:00pm for WXCW.

WZVN is 4:30-7:00, 9:00-11:00am, 6:00-6:30, 7:00-7:30 and 11:00-11:35pm.

WFTX is 6:00-11:00am, 5:00-7:00 and 10:00-11:30pm.

Yes... there are THREE 10:00am local morning newscasts in Southwest Florida. If you don't count for cable-only options in Tampa Bay and Orlando, there are none everywhere else in the state of Florida, including my own home market (Miami).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

WINK is 4:30-7:00am, 12:00-12:30pm, 3:00-6:30, 7:00-7:30 and 11:00-11:35pm. It also does 7:00-11:00am, 6:30-7:00 and 10:00-11:00pm for WXCW.

Yes... there are THREE 10:00am local morning newscasts in Southwest Florida. If you don't count for cable-only options in Tampa Bay and Orlando, there are none everywhere else in the state of Florida, including my own home market (Miami).

Damn…when stations are even outdoing WSVN in terms of news hours, you know things have gone crazy. Then again, I suppose this isn’t a new development, so it’s not as shocking as it might have been years ago. SW Florida stations must be raking it in when it comes to ad revenue.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Damn…when stations are even outdoing WSVN in terms of news hours, you know things have gone crazy. Then again, I suppose this isn’t a new development, so it’s not as shocking as it might have been years ago. SW Florida stations must be raking it in when it comes to ad revenue.

I thought WSVN was extreme then I saw KTLA. At least KTLA's morning product is infotainment. WSVN has a straight hard newscast in the morning time. if they can pull off Deco Drive for this long I'm sure they can try their hand at "Good Day Miami".

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Is Fort Myers even that lively of a metro area to require that many newscasts? 

(wouldn't combine with previous post)

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

A hurricane-afflicted area with a lot of transplants needing homes remodeled or built does keep siding, roofing, concrete, HVAC and pool contractors and maintainers well in the black...and you need to get around by car too, so dealers get their piece too, along with a captive tourism audience wanting to head north or east.

6 hours ago, iron_lion said:

WSVN has a straight hard newscast in the morning time. if they can pull off Deco Drive for this long I'm sure they can try their hand at "Good Day Miami".

Today in Florida was launched at the right time; WTVJ and NBC can't copyright that as long as the Ansins keep puttering along. There won't be a name change anytime soon, and I could see them gaining two hours eventually when Rachael ends or if Sherri (don't know if they're carrying that) doesn't succeed. Divorce Court will continue to exist just because it now has AVOD/YouTube channel revenue coming in along with syndication, and spouses will want to air their stuff out on TV.

• Like 2

I've seen a commercial on WILX TV  the Gray Television NBC Lansing  station where it looks as if their 4pm show "STUDIO10" is about to be shown the door and daytime replays of Jeopardy and Wheel will take over at 4 starting in September when NBCNews Daily debuts at 1 any confirms

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lugnuts6 said:

I've seen a commercial on WILX TV  the Gray Television NBC Lansing  station where it looks as if their 4pm show "STUDIO10" is about to be shown the door and daytime replays of Jeopardy and Wheel will take over at 4 starting in September when NBCNews Daily debuts at 1 any confirms

Wait, daytime replays of Wheel? 😮

7 hours ago, lugnuts6 said:

Are you sure about Wheel? Wheel has never offered a second run. One was almost rolled out in the 2012-13 season, but it would have had a rule that it could not be paired with the daytime Jeopardy! run.

Assuming Wheel is still strictly single-run, maybe WILX could use this opportunity to bring back 25 Words or Less after they dropped it this past season and no competitors grabbed it, AFAIK. Or they could move up Kelly Clarkson from its graveyard 3 AM slot.

Edited by WheelWarrior

On 8/20/2022 at 6:14 AM, iron_lion said:

I thought WSVN was extreme then I saw KTLA. At least KTLA's morning product is infotainment. WSVN has a straight hard newscast in the morning time. if they can pull off Deco Drive for this long I'm sure they can try their hand at "Good Day Miami".

I wanna puke just hearing that... Good Day Miami.

Thank god its morning news is Today in Florida (which dates back to their NBC days).

On 8/20/2022 at 3:12 PM, lugnuts6 said:

This article says otherwise saying it will return later this year. Also, WILX has Funny You Should Ask. That'll probably air since Wheel doesn't do second-runs.

https://www.wilx.com/2022/07/29/wilx-studio-10-takes-hiatus-launches-studio-10-presents/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2022 at 8:29 PM, iron_lion said:

I was thinking of that pattern too, but I opted for the simplest split, Mon-Wed/Thu-Fri.

Understandable.

Profitability aside, my point was that the five new one-hour episodes per week model (37 min w/o commercials) is contributing to soaps quality struggles. Poor quality is part of the reason why audiences have drifted away from the genre. If soaps perhaps cut down on how many episodes they produced, it would lead to lesser *perhaps better scripts*, a smaller cast, thus more focused stories, (less people to  pay), fewer sets, and a smaller budget. Better quality might not get Luke and Laura level audiences to watch in droves but it would get some of the dedicated fans who gave up to tune in again. 

I'm not sure if Days of Our Lives on Peacock will have a five day or one day per week output. I'm curious to see if fans of the genre would be accepting of a one new episode per week structure. 

With all due respect, if they wanted a smaller cast and a tighter script they might as well go once a week.  The appeal for me has always been multiple plots at once with characters rotating between  front and back burner status. 

Twice or thrice a week is fine, but then that slippery slope will lead to season breaks.  If you have Long breaks then it's a telenovella not a traditional soap. 

• Like 2

KNTV just announced their line up

12pm NBC NEWS Daily

1pm Access Daily with Mario & Kit

2pm The Rachel Ray Show

3pm The Kelly Clarkson Show

4pm NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt

4:30pm NBC Bay Area News at 4:30 

5-6:30pm NBC Bay Area News 

6:30pm NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt

7pm NBC Bay Area News Tonight

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 5:04 PM, Nelson R. said:

Just noticed that KSL in Salt Lake City, who delayed Days to 1:05 am, isn’t clearing NBC News Daily at all. They are replacing Hot Bench with Drew Barrymore in full, moving up Top Story an hour and putting a Dr. Phil encore after Top Story. 😳https://ksltv.com/ksl-tv-program-guide/

They already have their own newshour at noon, so here I think keeping the pre-emption is justified, and Rachael/Drew just works for that time in general. And why would you air 12 hour-old news when you can air five hour-old news in late night?

NBC was probably happy here to keep the status quo with Bonneville and not shake things up.

• Like 3

That video background has a little too much depth, too much going on. 

Again it's just more of the same: Trump, inflation, COVID and now the Queen. In this era of news saturation, it's every station clamoring to cover the same thing rather than aiming for some streak of uniqueness. 

I can't act like Days of Our Lives was in the best condition before it got taken off the air, but it will be missed. 

I wonder how long Dateline at 1 PM will last. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2