NBC News Daily

Georgie56

6 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Or for those of us that have DOOL at noon like in NYC, it sends a message to Andrea Mitchell.

I seriously don’t understand what message this is supposedly sending to the people at their cable channel. Can’t the network and MSNBC coexist? Also, wouldn’t this mean they were “sending a message” when they expanded Today years ago?

Edited by froyo49
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, froyo49 said:

I seriously don’t understand what message this is supposedly sending to the people at their cable channel. Can’t the network and MSNBC coexist? Also, wouldn’t this mean they were “sending a message” when they expanded Today years ago?

Also, the show will air live at 1. Unless WNBC has a crystal ball for one hour in the future, they’re going to have to shuffle their schedule a bit

The message NBC is sending with this move is that MSNBC is now a Political Network (Like FOX News Channel) and not a news network anymore. That is the only reason I can see for NBC doing this (show actual news on the NBC Broadcast network/NBC News Now and show Political coverage on MSNBC only). That actually makes sense if NBC were to do that.  It can coexist if it is done this way. 

Also, to be fair, the FOX broadcast network special reports (along with LiveNow) are much more down the middle then the Fox News Channel and they coexist. Maybe NBC is seeing that too and is doing the same thing. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

1 hour ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

The message NBC is sending with this move is that MSNBC is now a Political Network (Like FOX News Channel) and not a news network anymore

Fair point, but I think MSNBC has spent the past decade and a half communicating that they’re a political network. I mean, they literally called themselves “the place for politics,” so I don’t know if an extra network newscast is the thing that signals that. Plus, I was mostly confused about what an earlier comment said, about signaling to Chris Jansing that they don’t care about her show

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A couple of things stood out to me in NBC's announcement regarding NBC News Daily. First, the network said, "NBC News will provide signature world-class reporting and breaking news coverage in a first-of-its kind, live in most markets mid-day news offering." It was the "live in most markets" comment that stood out to me. Well, today The Los Angeles Times gave me more by stating, "The anchors for the program will depend on the time zone, as the newscast will be live across the country, using the hours shown on the NBC News Now stream. Stations will get the team of Morgan Radford and Vicky Nguyen or Kate Snow and Aaron Gilchrist."

So essentially the network will simply broadcast an hour of NBC News Now. Or I guess you could say NBC News Now will stream four hours of NBC News Daily. In any event, it is using one crew to create a program simultaneously for the NBC broadcast network and the NBC News Now stream. And thus, the economics of this programming decision makes sense. NBC gets lower production costs and probably similar ratings. Meanwhile, you move production-cost heavy "Days" over to Peacock where you have two revenue streams: subscriptions and advertising.

The other thing that I was curious about was "the option for NBC stations to add local news.” TV Newser reported that, "NBC stations do have the option of adding local news instead of this new national news offering." I'm hearing that statement is not accurate. NBC is not relinquishing the time slot back to affiliates. It is the ability for stations to add local news into the national show, not cover up the national broadcast with a local newscast. Think of it like the five-minute station breaks during the Today Show (7:25, 7:55, etc.) where local stations do news and weather.

Edited by carolinanews4
typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

So maybe late snow is the 1pm eastern anchor and say west coast it’s Aaron since he anchors from 2p-4p eastern and if a station takes 12pm it’s Morgan and Vicky since they anchor 11a-1p eastern 

1 hour ago, carolinanews4 said:

The other thing that I was curious about was "the option for NBC stations to add local news.” TV Newser reported that, "NBC stations do have the option of adding local news instead of this new national news offering." I'm hearing that statement is not accurate. NBC is not relinquishing the time slot back to affiliates. It is the ability for stations to add local news into the national show, not cover up the national broadcast with a local newscast. Think of it like the five-minute station breaks during the Today Show (7:25, 7:55, etc.) where local stations do news and weather.

GMA3 already does this, allowing ABC affiliates to do a quick news update before the second half of the show.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, carolinanews4 said:

So essentially the network will simply broadcast an hour of NBC News Now. Or I guess you could say NBC News Now will stream four hours of NBC News Daily.

And since Tom Llama's program airs in overnights, it's essentially two hours of airtime given to NBC News Now, but five production hours for the network, of course allowing breaking news and scheduled cut-ins by Lester and the NN gang. There will be one hour of bleedover with the Hoda/Jenna hour of Today in the Pacific Time Zone west, so we'll have to see how they would handle breaking news in that situation.

I do hope though that the network specifies that the affiliate time must be used for the majority of the time for news and weather; there are already some stations (WTMJ looking at you with Blend Extra!) that only do 30 seconds of news and the rest is either ads or (after 10) sponcon advertorials.

• Sad 1

On 8/3/2022 at 6:30 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

I'm surprised they got rid of Days for more news, I guess there has been too many break ins with Special Reports (and to compete with GMA3) that NBC just said ok, we will do this. I also wonder if this means we will see more local newscasts on some affiliates as well at 3 PM ET. 

Do we see NBC News Daily lasting? ABC's The Chew and The Revolution are both gone. Surpisingly CBS has held down the Talk and Lets Make a Deal (replacements for As the World Turns & Guiding Light) for over a decade now.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:28 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

Doesn't bother me. Soaps isn't needed anymore in this day and age.

Yet another hour of news covering assuredly the same topics, or another celebrity guest talk show isn't really needed either, but we still have it. 🤷

The only way I could see soaps surviving is if they're truncated to 30 minutes two or three days a week with cast trimmings, rather than a hard five day a week one hour model. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Do we see NBC News Daily lasting? ABC's The Chew and The Revolution are both gone. Surpisingly CBS has held down the Talk and Lets Make a Deal (replacements for As the World Turns & Guiding Light) for over a decade now.

Yet another hour of news covering assuredly the same topics, or another celebrity guest talk show isn't really needed either, but we still have it. 🤷

The only way I could see soaps surviving is if they're truncated to 30 minutes two or three days a week with cast trimmings, rather than a hard five day a week one hour model. 

I wondered if NBC News Daily was just a placeholder—like the window of opportunity to shift Days to streaming opened and they had to do it in that timeframe. 

The success of the Beyond Salem series had to contribute to the decision. The unfortunate thing for OLTL and AMC was streaming was really in its infancy when Prospect Park made their attempt. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, iron_lion said:

The Revolution was a 'fad show' and done from its first week; a very blatant and nasty attempt to try a reality show during the day. Unlike Starting Over though, it outright insulted its target audience and was completely focused around weight loss and fad diets and saying 'you're never good enough, take our advice!'. The Chew likely would've stayed on until at least March 2020 had Mario Batali not ruined everything though.

I think CBS has finally found a Talk cast that isn't confrontational, and LMAD has found a perfect format and niche, so that's worked out for them.

I do see NBCND lasting; if anything it'll only help NBC affiliates finally stop slacking on their local noon newscasts as the place where corporate must-runs and cheaper advertorials go to die, along with B-team anchors before their retirements.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

The Revolution was a 'fad show' and done from its first week; a very blatant and nasty attempt to try a reality show during the day. Unlike Starting Over though, it outright insulted its target audience and was completely focused around weight loss and fad diets and saying 'you're never good enough, take our advice!'. The Chew likely would've stayed on until at least March 2020 had Mario Batali not ruined everything though.

I think CBS has finally found a Talk cast that isn't confrontational, and LMAD has found a perfect format and niche, so that's worked out for them.

I do see NBCND lasting; if anything it'll only help NBC affiliates finally stop slacking on their local noon newscasts as the place where corporate must-runs and cheaper advertorials go to die, along with B-team anchors before their retirements.

The Revolution seemed from the beginning to be a failure as not even big-named stars could move the ratings. I feel like the Chew would've gone away in march of 2020 and possibly come back in the fall of 2021 if there was enough demand.

Wayne Brady just won Outstanding Game Show Host in this year's Daytime Emmys. Him, Jonathan Mangum, Tiffany Coyne and keyboardist Cat Gray have some of the best chemistry of any game show personalities I've seen. It's one of the best revivals of any game show in recent years, so I expect to see it continue for awhile. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Wayne Brady just won Outstanding Game Show Host in this year's Daytime Emmys. Him, Jonathan Mangum, Tiffany Coyne and keyboardist Cat Gray have some of the best chemistry of any game show personalities I've seen. It's one of the best revivals of any game show in recent years, so I expect to see it continue for awhile. 

Been a fan of Wayne Brady ever since his Whose Line Days on ABC and enjoyed his energy on his self-titled prime time and daytime shows.  For some reason, I can never really get into "Let's Make a Deal" which always feels stale and repetitive, I wonder if it's just the style of the set that reeks fluorescence lighting from the 1980s, the cheesy music that lacks texture, or the contestants trying too hard to make an impression.. just never my cup of tea, and I usually enjoy The Price is Right and the other primetime game show revivals. 

But as a treat, this is the website of the first iteration of Wayne Brady Show when it was on ABC primetime: https://web.archive.org/web/20010801144214/http://abc.go.com/primetime/waynebrady/wayne_home.html

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2022 at 9:55 PM, Drew said:

So maybe late snow is the 1pm eastern anchor and say west coast it’s Aaron since he anchors from 2p-4p eastern and if a station takes 12pm it’s Morgan and Vicky since they anchor 11a-1p eastern 

I read where two anchors are doing one feed and the other two are doing the other. So I guess Morgan and Vicky will do the one for the East Coast and the other two will anchor the West Coast.

On 8/6/2022 at 7:41 PM, iron_lion said:

What about the other two days?

On 8/9/2022 at 11:14 PM, mre29 said:

What about the other two days?

For example CBS has two soaps. Y&R would air Mon to Wed from 1 to 1:30 and B&B would air Thu-Fri from 1-1:30. Give the affiliates that empty 30 minutes.

(If this were a different time period I would say repeat that same pattern with As the World Turns and Guiding Light in that empty slot.)

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

For example CBS has two soaps. Y&R would air Mon to Wed from 1 to 1:30 and B&B would air Thu-Fri from 1-1:30. Give the affiliates that empty 30 minutes.

(If this were a different time period I would say repeat that same pattern with As the World Turns and Guiding Light in that empty slot.)

I don't think that affiliates are clamoring for additional inventory when the syndication market is barren and the advertisers for noon newscasts is dearth. Both Young and the Restless and Bold and the Beautiful remain profitable. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, iron_lion said:

So, is having one soap on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and the other soap on Tuesdays and Thursdays too complicated?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2022 at 7:06 PM, mre29 said:

So, is having one soap on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and the other soap on Tuesdays and Thursdays too complicated?

I was thinking of that pattern too, but I opted for the simplest split, Mon-Wed/Thu-Fri.

On 8/14/2022 at 12:53 PM, bostonmediaguy said:

I don't think that affiliates are clamoring for additional inventory when the syndication market is barren and the advertisers for noon newscasts is dearth. Both Young and the Restless and Bold and the Beautiful remain profitable. 

Understandable.

Profitability aside, my point was that the five new one-hour episode per week model is contributing to soaps quality struggles. Poor quality is part of the reason why audiences have drifted away from the genre. If soaps reduced their episode output and show length, that would lead to fewer *perhaps better* scripts and a smaller cast.

A smaller cast means a smaller budget, more focused stories, less actors to pay, and fewer sets.

Better quality might not get Luke and Laura level audiences to watch in droves but it would get some of the dedicated fans who gave up to tune in again. 

I'm not sure if Days of Our Lives on Peacock will have a five day or one day per week output. I'm curious to see if fans of the genre would be accepting of a one new episode per week structure. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

Announced Today:

Vicky Nguyen & Morgan Radford Co-Anchor 12pm-2pm ET 

Kate Snow & Aaron Gilchrist Co-Anchor 2pm-4pm ET (4pm-5pm ET they will update for breaking news)

-Vicky Nguyen will contribute her consumer reporting to the program

-CNBC will provide a feature called "Money Minute"

-Dr. John Torres & Dr. Natalie Azar will provide medical reporting & answer viewer questions 

-- Option 5-minute local news block

• Like 1

I don't get the pessimism on here about this. The soaps have run their course. We've all known that for the better part of two decades now. NBC's also not going to replace it with any other kind of conventional program like another tired talk show. NBC News Now is a really high quality product, and this is a great opportunity to get traditional TV audiences to sample it. Somebody's finally going to try a true midday national newscast. I also don't think this is that much of a competitor response to GMA3 – that show is garbage, whereas NBC News Now is actual news.

It's not going to be pretty though when word gets back to the Days of Our Lives audience that their beloved show is moving to some far-flung internet outlet. I would not want to be answering phones at an NBC affiliate this fall, as that is a very small but pretty rabid fanbase. I remember whenever NBC would pre-empt DOOL for something else, such as the Olympics, the French Open or a news special report, a DOOL fan would call in and accuse *us,* not NBC, of pre-empting DOOL and would threaten to call NBC to get them to pull our affiliation. Lol.

• Like 8

In Philly that would be -

330am EARLY TODAY

4AM-7AM NBC10 NEWS

7AM TODAY

9AM THIRD HOUR

10AM HODA & JENNA

11AM NBC 10 NEWS  - 1145AM PHILLY LIVE

12N NBC NEWS DAILY

That's 9 1/2 hours of news...maybe NBC needs to look into a cable news channel or streaming service instead... oh wait?!?!

Not to mention...

4PM NBC10 NEWS

5PM NBC 10 NEWS

6PM NBC 10 NEWS

630PM NBC NIGHTLY NEWS

7PM NBC10 NEWS

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LVForward said:

330am EARLY TODAY

4AM-7AM NBC10 NEWS

7AM TODAY

9AM THIRD HOUR

10AM HODA & JENNA

12N NBC NEWS DAILY

That's 9 1/2 hours of news...maybe NBC needs to look into a cable news channel or streaming service instead... oh wait?!?!

Not to mention...

4PM NBC10 NEWS

5PM NBC 10 NEWS

6PM NBC 10 NEWS

630PM NBC NIGHTLY NEWS

7PM NBC10 NEWS

Exactly the same at WNBC/New York except New York Live is 11:30 to 12.

Question is for the NBC O&Os that currently broadcast DOOL at noon, will NBC News Daily be at noon, or would Access Daily switch to noon?  If no switch will the new newscast be live everywhere?  No promotions yet on NBC New York on what will happen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LVForward said:

330am EARLY TODAY

4AM-7AM NBC10 NEWS

7AM TODAY

9AM THIRD HOUR

10AM HODA & JENNA

12N NBC NEWS DAILY

Not to mention...

4PM NBC10 NEWS

5PM NBC 10 NEWS

6PM NBC 10 NEWS

630PM NBC NIGHTLY NEWS

7PM NBC10 NEWS

I thought it was going to be at 1 in all time zones. No reason for WCNC to change anything other than put NBC News Daily at 1. Maybe they will expand Charlotte Today back to an hour and move the noon news back to an hour at noon but I like their news from 11:30-12:30. But I guess stations could air it at noon Eastern/11am Central  if they wanted to. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1