NBC News Daily

Georgie56

If anything, I'm surprised the news program didn't adopt the Today brand, could have easily been called "TODAY in the Afternoon".  😉

Looks like GMA3 has some competition. Days and GMA3 seems like they were neck-and-neck in the ratings: https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2022/07/daytime-broadcast-ratings-for-the-week-of-july-11-15-2022

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

According to the article, it'll be anchored by some of NBC News Now's anchors, Aaron Gilchrist, Vicky Nguyen, and Morgan Radford (plus Kate Snow), so they're probably trying to align it with that, instead of Today. I believe the 1pm hour of News Now is a repeat of the live 12pm hour anyway, so I wonder if they'll simulcast Daily.

• Like 1

I'm surprised they got rid of Days for more news, I guess there has been too many break ins with Special Reports (and to compete with GMA3) that NBC just said ok, we will do this. I also wonder if this means we will see more local newscasts on some affiliates as well at 3 PM ET. 

• Like 3

You have to assume there will be a number of affiliates not happy right now to learn their schedule is incompatible thanks to NBC giving an hour over to news, and since Kelly Clarkson is a lead-out from DOOL in some markets, her flow is also screwed up. There are still NBC affiliates that have never recovered from the Santa Barbara hour going back to them and having to fill it with a C-level talk show (or now Dateline), which is why NBC couldn't give up the Another World/Passions hour when they expanded Today the second time. And now the affiliate base has to take the brunt of the 'what is a Peacock', 'can't you just air it anyways just hook up your TV to Peacock and broadcast it' and 'I will never watch your station again' calls.

If this was announced a year out maybe it would work out well. Now it just seems like a panic 'follow the leader' move because ABC lucked into a good thing with GMA3WYNTK and NBC itself has such a deep hard news vacuum between 7:40 a.m.-6:30 p.m. outside breaking news days. And oh God this is inevitably gonna have a 'deal of the day' segment like GMA3WYNTK and The Talk isn't it?

And...(LeBron timeout pain GIF)...MSNBC. You already have a news channel. You're basically telling Chris Jansing you don't care about her 1 p.m. show. ABC at least gave plenty of notice All My Children was ending and had the 'we don't have a news channel' excuse to cover the move.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

You have to assume there will be a number of affiliates not happy right now to learn their schedule is incompatible thanks to NBC giving an hour over to news, and since Kelly Clarkson is a lead-out from DOOL in some markets, her flow is also screwed up. There are still NBC affiliates that have never recovered from the Santa Barbara hour going back to them and having to fill it with a C-level talk show (or now Dateline), which is why NBC couldn't give up the Another World/Passions hour when they expanded Today the second time. And now the affiliate base has to take the brunt of the 'what is a Peacock', 'can't you just air it anyways just hook up your TV to Peacock and broadcast it' and 'I will never watch your station again' calls.

If this was announced a year out maybe it would work out well. Now it just seems like a panic 'follow the leader' move because ABC lucked into a good thing with GMA3WYNTK and NBC itself has such a deep hard news vacuum between 7:40 a.m.-6:30 p.m. outside breaking news days. And oh God this is inevitably gonna have a 'deal of the day' segment like GMA3WYNTK and The Talk isn't it?

And...(LeBron timeout pain GIF)...MSNBC. You already have a news channel. You're basically telling Chris Jansing you don't care about her 1 p.m. show. ABC at least gave plenty of notice All My Children was ending and had the 'we don't have a news channel' excuse to cover the move.

Well said. I'm guessing that Comcast wants to make MSNBC a full political channel (similar to Fox but in the other direction) and use this as a "Real News" alternative. If they were that concerned about Chris Jansing, she would be part of this "NBC News Daily". I also believe that many affiliates could also lose Kelly Clarkson to other stations as well (WPXI lost Kelly to WTAE for example). I wish they would have just given this spot back to the affiliates. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel
  • Like 2

Well, that is indeed a shame, but life does go on. Soap operas are beloved dinosaurs, but dinosaurs all the same. Better to have it on Peacock than cancelled outright.

Also, if NBC had given the time back to the affiliates, the hour would likely have been filled with some combination of local news and lifestyle fluff, leading to even more complaints about it somewhere on the board. NBC News may not be glamorous, but it's better than infomercials. I think that should be their new slogan.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

If they were that concerned about Chris Jansing, he would be part

*she

57 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

MSNBC. You already have a news channel. You're basically telling Chris Jansing you don't care about her 1 p.m. show

I mean they also have two other national news channels, News Now and LX (which the O&Os run). Just because one of them gets an hour on the network doesn’t mean they don’t care about their other properties. MSNBC caters to a different audience than the network anyway, so I don’t see much of a conflict

• Like 2

Even after the cancellations of All My Children and One Life to Live, this move genuinely shocks me because I really thought soap operas still have some staying power on television in this day and age. But it's a much better fate for it than cancellation, assuming by the success it's spinoff Beyond Salem has on Peacock.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Doesn't bother me. Soaps isn't needed anymore in this day and age.

"I don't like something, so instead of just not tuning in, it shouldn't exist for anybody."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I'm surprised they got rid of Days for more news, I guess there has been too many break ins with Special Reports (and to compete with GMA3) that NBC just said ok, we will do this. I also wonder if this means we will see more local newscasts on some affiliates as well at 3 PM ET. 

Speaking Of break ins, is that Really what viewers have been wanting?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

Even after the cancellations of All My Children and One Life to Live, this move genuinely shocks me because I really thought soap operas still have some staying power on television in this day and age. But it's a much better fate for it than cancellation, assuming by the success it's spinoff Beyond Salem has on Peacock.

It's a lucky thing that Days Of Our Lives is getting a new lease on life via Peacock streaming service.  I'd welcome seeing Peacock perhaps exploring acquiring rights to do reruns of classic Procter & Gamble soaps, including any and all surviving episodes of Another World, Search For Tomorrow, The Edge Of Night, Guiding Light, and As The World Turns... Or maybe bringing certain shows back for new half-hour episodes.  I certainly miss seeing the soaps and don't really care for the major TV networks going for cheaper fanfare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

It's a lucky thing that Days Of Our Lives is getting a new lease on life via Peacock streaming service.  I'd welcome seeing Peacock perhaps exploring acquiring rights to do reruns of classic Procter & Gamble soaps, including any and all surviving episodes of Another World, Search For Tomorrow, The Edge Of Night, Guiding Light, and As The World Turns... Or maybe bringing certain shows back for new half-hour episodes.  I certainly miss seeing the soaps and don't really care for the major TV networks going for cheaper fanfare.

TBF there's a much better chance of those other soaps streaming on Pluto TV or the like because Comcast/NBCUniversal most likely wouldn't spend money to revive or license long-cancelled soaps they don't own outight no matter how long they last on it, even if P&G makes a good offer for them.

Plus, you can easily find full episodes across several decades of each show (possibly without ads) on YouTube.

• Like 1

According to TVNewser’s write up, Daily will be simulcasting on News Now, and stations apparently have the option of replacing it with local newscasts. I wonder how many would actually do so 

And FWIW, the press release says a “large percentage” of viewers already watch DOOL online, so this probably wasn’t a short sighted decision

Edited by froyo49
  • Like 1

On NBC's offical news release it states local NBC stations can add in local news. Think of Ann Curry's old Top Stories News segments on TODAY but it will be your local NBC Noon Anchor doing that. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Drew said:

On NBC's offical news release it states local NBC stations can add in local news. Think of Ann Curry's old Top Stories News segments on TODAY but it will be your local NBC Noon Anchor doing that. 

Interesting that you say "noon anchor". I believe most NBC O&O's have their newscasts at 11am. I wonder if we'll see those being shifted to noon to create a noon-2pm news block (though I doubt a station like WCAU would like to go from no news competition at 11am to noon, where they'll compete with WPVI and KYW)

• Sad 1

Hmm I'm wondering which studio will "NBC News Daily" be produced in... Will it be a big production like the Today show and Nightly produced from 1A, or it's gonna be small scaled like Early Today produced from 3C (3A Annex)...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ref1997 said:

Hmm I'm wondering which studio will "NBC News Daily" be produced in... Will it be a big production like the Today show and Nightly produced from 1A, or it's gonna be small scaled like Early Today produced from 3C (3A Annex)...

Sounds like it will be in the newsroom studio NBC News Now uses since it will be produced by them anyways 

20 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Doesn't bother me. Soaps isn't needed anymore in this day and age.

Tell that to the people who still watch and tweet about it. As well have a podcast dedicated to genre. 

Oh yeah, that will go well with them with that flipping' comment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Or for those of us that have DOOL at noon like in NYC, it sends a message to Andrea Mitchell.

• Sad 1