WCBD - Charleston, SC New Set Coming

Axiom81

WCBD (News 2) in Charleston, SC has moved to a temporary set as a new set is installed. The last set to be installed was by Media General several years ago. Curious to see what Nexstar's vision is 

https://www.counton2.com/news/local-news/what-happened-to-news-2s-studio/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3XR5_Vxq0O9ciHYQPEOVKJCFSpcMF7R-2Z7u7wjF5EoTN6MQv5ImB0IWM

Existing set which debuted in 2014: https://www.newscaststudio.com/setstudio/wcbd/

• Like 1

The one thing that seems to get lost in these sets is there is no local flare to them as they were taken over by larger companies.  Charleston is a beautiful area and all 3 stations seem to have gone more generic over the years.  WCIV being the worst looking ( their set is nearing 20 yrs old by now and looks terribly  dated) . I'm curious to see what Nexstar has to offer, but I'm betting money WCSC is watching closely as they are nearing the end cycle of their current set. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Axiom81 said:

WCBD debuted it's new set at 4pm yesterday. A nice upgrade for them, but the wood reminds me of shiplap..not sure how I feel about that part. 

WCBD1.jpg

WCBD2.jpg

The faux shiplap is one thing. What’s worse are those out of place dividers between the big monitors; it legit looks like they put sheetrock dividers up and called it a day. The whole set looks really cheap and tacky (it’s a small market Nexstar station after all), but I suppose it’s an upgrade over what they had.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Rewording
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

The faux shiplap is one thing. What’s worse are those out of place dividers between the big monitors; it legit looks like they put sheetrock dividers up and called it a day. The whole set looks really cheap and tacky (it’s a small market Nexstar station after all), but I suppose it’s an upgrade over what they had.

I agree it's an upgrade over their previous set, not a fan of the dividers either..but overall it's cleaner than their previous look.  I'm a bit more disappointed that it's generic...it doesn't have a Charleston flair (the shiplap is just no)...Charleston is absolute beautiful city but these generic sets are ruining the feel of the heart of the lowcountry. 

Not to shift away from this topic..but I want to point out that the "WORST" Set in that market is by far WCIV (Which has been using the same set for nearly 20 years) - Sinclair

Also, I have to wonder if WCSC will get a new set in the near future after this, Gray did a refresh to the set about a year ago to change out the dura-trans to monitors and since they are #1 in the market..it makes sense for a new look for them at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in 2023. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's not the most impressive but it's serviceable with a clean look. It's bright and feels a bit tropical with the white and lighter blue shades. The shiplap (I learned a new word today) is unique to their credit, but odd. Kind of looks like they built a TV studio into the side of a house.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 12:36 PM, qunewsguy said:

FX's set design elements are really starting to look cheap and dated. They're especially bad here!

This was all done in-house. Not by FX Group.

If they wanted to go for a coastal look, they did a very sterile and generic job at doing so.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 1:30 PM, TennTV1983 said:

This was all done in-house. Not by FX Group.

If they wanted to go for a coastal look, they did a very sterile and generic job at doing so.

It's an in house look? That changes how I see it some. There are some pretty good elements here, but I reckon they struggled in designing what exactly an idea like "coastal" might be (or whatever the theme they had in mind was). I give them credit for the effort because it certainly isn't bad.

The on-air 2 shot and anchor close ups look good, with the vertical screen and pillars not ending before the top of the frame, and the 'News 2' banner positioned nicely above their shoulders.

Hopefully that 4 shot photo isn't the angle they actually use on air - so awkward. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 5.52.24 PM.png

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Sad 1