Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

4 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Marilyn Milian will also remain on TV thanks to Byron Allen. (Of note: Allen is offering both Mathis and Milian for local stations to use in their newscasts for legal analysis.)

Nice to see they're both getting new shows. I think it will be weirder to me not seeing Marilyn on the People's Court. I'll miss so much of the elements People's Court had, such as the music, the iconic logo, the typewriter and gavel sound effects, and Curt Chaplin's deadpan introductions. Now I'm waiting to see if Byron brings back judges Joe Brown, Alex Ferrer or Lynn Toler back to Daytime TV. I just feel Byron's new shows won't be the same compared to WB's longrunners.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Nice to see they're both getting new shows. I think it will be weirder to me not seeing Marilyn on the People's Court. I'll miss so much of the elements People's Court had, such as the music, the iconic logo, the typewriter and gavel sound effects, and Curt Chaplin's deadpan introductions. Now I'm waiting to see if Byron brings back judges Joe Brown, Alex Ferrer or Lynn Toler back to Daytime TV. I just feel Byron's new shows won't be the same compared to WB's longrunners.

The scripted part is what kills Allen's court shows. Is there not a production company out there willing to do a real cases?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

The scripted part is what kills Allen's court shows. Is there not a production company out there willing to do a real cases?

I suggested earlier on here that maybe Fox handle production of the People's Court as Harvey Levin has been involved since the current version debuted in 1997. Even though it's not OTA syndication, Amazon has been making progress with real live cases with Judy Justice and the upcoming Tribunal, with former Hot Bench Judges Tanya Acker and Patricia DiMango and Judge Judy's son, and the return of Bailiff Byrd. Other than that, no one seems to want to start a show with real people and cases with no script. And I think Byron started the trend of scripted court shows when America's Court with Judge Ross debuted back in 2011. I hope Mathis's and Millian's personalities are at least the same on the new shows. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I suggested earlier on here that maybe Fox handle production of the People's Court as Harvey Levin has been involved since the current version debuted in 1997. Even though it's not OTA syndication, Amazon has been making progress with real live cases with Judy Justice and the upcoming Tribunal, with former Hot Bench Judges Tanya Acker and Patricia DiMango and Judge Judy's son, and the return of Bailiff Byrd. Other than that, no one seems to want to start a show with real people and cases with no script. And I think Byron started the trend of scripted court shows when America's Court with Judge Ross debuted back in 2011. I hope Mathis's and Millian's personalities are at least the same on the new shows. 

The original divorce was scripted as was Superior Court and The Judge.  All three claimed to be based on actual cases.  Do we know if this is the case with byron's shows or do they just make it up from scratch?

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:56 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

On an episode of Allen's Judge Mablean Show, many youtube users commented the plot was very similar to "The Imitation of Life" movie.

• Like 1

I do sometimes wonder how broadcast can sustain that many celebrity gossip shows - ET, Access, Dish, TMZ, Inside and Extra. I understand that if they keep on surviving it's got to be because there's enough news for them and enough of an audience for each, but it still seems a bit unsustainable in the long run. We already lost Insider a few years ago after all.

• Like 3

On 4/11/2023 at 10:26 PM, mrsunshine said:

I do sometimes wonder how broadcast can sustain that many celebrity gossip shows - ET, Access, Dish, TMZ, Inside and Extra. I understand that if they keep on surviving it's got to be because there's enough news for them and enough of an audience for each, but it still seems a bit unsustainable in the long run. We already lost Insider a few years ago after all.

Seems to be mostly a Fox thing, at least in Houston where all the tabloid shows sans ET and Inside Edition are on KRIV (KPRC airs the former of the last two, KTRK the latter). And even so, some of these programs air in the wee hours of the morning or get jettisoned to KTXH because of all the talk shows (Kelly Clarkson, J Hud, Sherri) + You Bet Your Life that air first-run on KRIV. At least KRIV is airing the block of talk shows with the celebs as opposed to KIAH which airs the obvious mixture of first run and repeat "Trash TV" shows out of the Multimedia Studios USA NBCU stable.

Nexstar owns most of the gossip shows on WOTV Access Hollywood, Extra, WXSP TMZ, Dish Nation, WOODTV Inside Edition & TMZ repeat in the overnight, ony ET is the only one they don't air as WZZM has aired ET forever since 94.

I understand that it's the tabloid fodder and not actual ratings, but just clicking through it looks like the launch of "Live With Kelly And Mark" was less than spectacular.

My favorite tweet is "Every time Kelly interrupts Mark, take a shot"... you could take any of Kelly's co-hosts over the years and make that a fun game (Regis, Michael, Ryan, guest hosts)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11981625/Viewers-PAN-episode-Live-Kelly-Mark-branding-couples-fake-banter-painful.html 

• Like 1
  • Concerned 1

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

I understand that it's the tabloid fodder and not actual ratings, but just clicking through it looks like the launch of "Live With Kelly And Mark" was less than spectacular.

Eh, the tabloids have said that since like 1989 (if the Enquirer didn't have a "REGIS IN DISGUST" story that week, they just plain forgot to write one), but the show's still on, Mark's guested so many times already, and the DM just searches "kelly mark sucks" to write an article summarizing it and calls it a day.

If Disney didn't think works any longer it would've been gone years ago. Instead it's evolved, the copycats have all died, and every advertorial going against it just goes in knowing they don't have a chance. It'll be the same when Ali Wentworth (once part of one of those copycats) inevitably takes over for Kelly.

The only thing I'd cut is the weird 'home dancer' segment from trivia; sometimes they choose dance videos from people who have no business being filmed, much less on a national morning show (one from some 50-ish woman looked like the most uncomfortable striptease was about to happen).

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

The only thing I'd cut is the weird 'home dancer' segment from trivia; sometimes they choose dance videos from people who have no business being filmed, much less on a national morning show (one from some 50-ish woman looked like the most uncomfortable striptease was about to happen).

The dancer has been a feature of the trivia segment since 2006. They would cut to the dancer for a few seconds as the prize wheel was spinning. It’s weird and feels out of place for that segment.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

The dancer has been a feature of the trivia segment since 2006. They would cut to the dancer for a few seconds as the prize wheel was spinning. It’s weird and feels out of place for that segment.

But they have real audiences again... What was an okay modification to keep a trend going through the COVID audience restrictions can be phased out. I agree with @mrschimpf on this one. 

• Like 2

Yes, I have no problem with the studio dancers (which is still odd)...but there at least you have professional floor direction in the studio. The home segments all look like "Mommy/Daddy's first TikTok" or like the worst sext of all time to the most mid music of all time. 😂

• Like 2

The launch wasn't too bad. It felt right as Mark has a long history with the show. The pair can --not too heavily-- capitalize off of the husband and wife talk show angle (even though it's been done before).

It was also nice to have Seacrest's replacement ready the following Monday morning, sparing another drawn out host search. I can't think of an immediate choice if Mark hadn't taken the job, but LIVE picked very well with both Michael and Ryan, so their judgement is sound. 

I will say they need less harsh lighting. It cheapens the aesthetic of the show. Looking back at clips from the Michael era, the lighting was warmer and significantly less washed out. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sinclair shows will be ready for the fall 2024-25 syndication season as I read an article on syndication as a whole and how rivals are working together how Fox & CBS did on Pictionary with the test run a couple of years ago and when it went national last fall.

I know there's an 'In Memoriam' thread, but this might be appropriate here too. With all the changes happening in daytime television it's crazy that Jerry Springer passes away today.

Normally I would decry a talkshow like what Jerry's became, but at least it knew what it was. A designated space where the lowest form of television could exist for one hour. The behavior of the people on the show was not to be praised or encouraged, but just observed, cautioned against and --let's face it-- to be amused by. His show was a guilty pleaseure. You knew this was bad but couldn't help but watch.  RIP.

https://amp.tmz.com/2023/04/27/jerry-springer-dead-dies/

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, MediaZone4K said:

I know there's an in memoriam thread, but this might be appropriate here to. With all the changes happening in daytime television it's crazy that Jerry Springer passes away today.

Normally I would decry a talkshow like what Jerry's became, but at least it knew what it was. A designated space where the lowest form of television could exist for one hour. The behavior of the people on the show was not to be praised or encouraged, but just observed, cautioned against and --let's face it-- to be amused by. His show was a guilty pleaseure. You knew this was bad but couldn't help but watch.  RIP.

https://amp.tmz.com/2023/04/27/jerry-springer-dead-dies/

Wonder if NBCU will keep distributing the best-of episodes of the talk and judge shows.

54 minutes ago, KS-IL-IA said:

Wonder if NBCU will keep distributing the best-of episodes of the talk and judge shows.

It was revealed that Jerry died of cancer, it couldve been one of the factors that sent Judge Jerry into reruns back in September.

• Like 5

I was totally shocked by the news that Jerry has passed. No matter what you thought of his show, he was a legend for sure in Daytime TV.

He hosted TPIR Live in Toledo a few years back.  He was OK but you could tell he was there for the paycheck.

Can't believe all the TV legends that have passed since the start of this decade, Regis, Alex Trebek, Larry King, and now Jerry. Protect Maury, Bob Barker, Pat Sajak, Judge Judy, Dan Rather, and Tom Brokaw at all costs.

• Like 7

I thought The Ringmaster Jerry Springer would've had another entertainment venture before he passed away. Jerr made for interesting TV that is for sure. Jerry is up in haven being The Ringmaster Of Trashy Talk Show LOL, R.I.P. Jerry Springer.

JERRY, JERRY, JERRY.

• Like 2

• 24994J locked this topic