Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

Not quite syndication but longtime General Hospital actress Jacklyn Zeman has died at age 70. She played Bobbie Spencer (Luke's sister) on and off for 45 years! We're losing our daytime legends.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jacklyn-zeman-longtime-general-hospital-actress-dies-70-bright-light.amp

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 4/17/2023 at 7:39 PM, GodfreyGR said:

I understand that it's the tabloid fodder and not actual ratings, but just clicking through it looks like the launch of "Live With Kelly And Mark" was less than spectacular.

My favorite tweet is "Every time Kelly interrupts Mark, take a shot"... you could take any of Kelly's co-hosts over the years and make that a fun game (Regis, Michael, Ryan, guest hosts)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11981625/Viewers-PAN-episode-Live-Kelly-Mark-branding-couples-fake-banter-painful.html 

No wonder Regis finally left when he did. Kelly ALWAYS interrupts the co-host. Now, it's her husband of all people. I can't understand how she still has a TV audience. 

Meanwhile, Judge Milian being snatched by Byron Allen...I was DEFINITELY expecting this to happen. Another dime-a-dozen court show for MNTVs and CWs to air in lieu of another OmegaXL or weight loss infomercial. At least Judge Judy did the right thing and started her own streaming spin-off when she left syndication.

Oh, and The Weather Channel is a laughing stock...they air Funny You Should Ask weeknights at 8pm. No, seriously. It's on the freakin' schedule.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

No wonder Regis finally left when he did. Kelly ALWAYS interrupts the co-host. Now, it's her husband of all people. I can't understand how she still has a TV audience. 

Meanwhile, Judge Milian being snatched by Byron Allen...I was DEFINITELY expecting this to happen. Another dime-a-dozen court show for MNTVs and CWs to air in lieu of another OmegaXL or weight loss infomercial. At least Judge Judy did the right thing and started her own streaming spin-off when she left syndication.

Oh, and The Weather Channel is a laughing stock...they air Funny You Should Ask weeknights at 8pm. No, seriously. It's on the freakin' schedule.

I laughed when I saw FYSA on the schedule. I'll put more information about it on the TWC thread.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Funny You Should Ask on the Weather Channel 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

A game show on The Weather Channel?! How low can you go TWC?! 😆😆😆

• Like 1

I guess it's because TWC is becoming more irrelevant in the days of Googling the weather forecast and getting tornado warning alerts on your phone. It's another way for Byron to get profit for his cheap game show that has a whopping *$5,000* bonus round. Are you sure it's not 1973? $5K wasn't chump change in those days - with inflation currently, that would be well over $30K in 2023.

Anyone remember Flick and a Forecast?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

I guess it's because TWC is becoming more irrelevant in the days of Googling the weather forecast and getting tornado warning alerts on your phone. It's another way for Byron to get profit for his cheap game show that has a whopping *$5,000* bonus round. Are you sure it's not 1973? $5K wasn't chump change in those days - with inflation currently, that would be well over $30K in 2023.

Anyone remember Flick and a Forecast?

Someone please tell me this is real life, and not Byron Allen taking TWC to lower lows than Jeff Zucker....

(checks TV guide to see if this is for real real, and yes, it is!)

For anyone asking WTF....here it is from my own YTTV guide ☹️

20230511_201622.jpg

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/5/2023 at 12:24 PM, MediaZone4K said:

We really new some new blood in daytime, not just more newscasts and not current events discussion shows that regurgitate the pop culture stuff on newscasts.

EDIT: The future of the remaining soaps will be the biggest blow to daytime. CBS heads just fired Y&R's entire breakdown staff --not that they were doing a good job though.

I honestly wish that the Soap Opera genre could make a comeback. Like, with some innovative talented writing like the good ole days, I'd like to see new soaps hit the networks. I actually even have an idea for one that takes place on a college campus, which I'd write just for fun if I had the chops for it. But I'm no Agnes Nixon, so...

Wishful thinking, I know.

• Like 2

Even though it was almost 30 years ago with the New World-Fox deal, these stations really had to scramble to fill in some of their dayparts after losing either NBC, ABC or CBS to FOX.  Even moreso, if they turned down the Fox Kids block (which most did) and sent that to another station.

For about 4 or so years, WJW in Cleveland had an afternoon sitcom block from 1-3pm.  Shows included were All in the Family, Barney Miller, Laverne & Shirley, Family Ties, The Odd Couple, and The Jeffersons.  They were all past their runs, so it was cheap and easy cash syndication.  At the time,  it was a way to see a show I hadn't seen in years, as well as being the first time I've ever watched AITF during my summer breaks. 

By 1998, this block was gone and FOX had secured more syndicated talk shows to fill out the schedule.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TresGriffin said:

I honestly wish that the Soap Opera genre could make a comeback. Like, with some innovative talented writing like the good ole days, I'd like to see new soaps hit the networks. I actually even have an idea for one that takes place on a college campus, which I'd write just for fun if I had the chops for it. But I'm no Agnes Nixon, so...

Wishful thinking, I know.

I wish some of the canceled soaps could be revived on streaming, with their episode catalogs avalible aswell. Audiences might be more accepting of streaming soaps now as opposed to OLTL and AMC on Hulu back in 2013.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

I wish some of the canceled soaps could be revived on streaming, with their episode catalogs avalible aswell. Audiences might be more accepting of streaming soaps now as opposed to OLTL and AMC on Hulu back in 2013.

It's not unprecedented. NBC shunted Days of our Lives to Peacock last year, so I can imagine the other networks may be thinking of doing the same to their remaining soaps. Any day now, I expect ABC to move General Hospital to Hulu and stick in another GMA spinoff, assuming they don't just hand the time slot back to the affiliates.

• Sad 2

In Detroit WJBK when it was CBS didn't air the soaps they were airing syndication before they became a FOX O&O in 94. WADL was dub the defacto CBS as they aired the soaps why didn't WADL sell to CBS? I know WADL made demands and CBS balked and bought channel 62.

9 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

In Detroit WJBK when it was CBS didn't air the soaps they were airing syndication before they became a FOX O&O in 94. WADL was dub the defacto CBS as they aired the soaps why didn't WADL sell to CBS? I know WADL made demands and CBS balked and bought channel 62.

If I had to guess, CBS wanted WADL to be run like an O&O, which Adell balked at. NBC tried a similar thing with KRON when Young Broadcasting bought it a few years later, and all that accomplished was costing NBC its longtime Bay Area affiliate, forcing them to buy KNTV, a longtime alternative ABC affiliate that was at this point sharing The WB with what was then KBWB (now KOFY).

The only reason CBS bought WGPR in the first place was because, after Adell said no, they had literally no other options. WKBD, the lame duck Fox affiliate, was owned by Paramount, who wanted to reserve that station for UPN. They tried to get WXON to affiliate, but they demanded $200 million for a buyout, which CBS said no to; they ended up with The WB. WBSX, the eventual Pax/Ion station, was an HSN affiliate. And the remaining Big 3 affiliates, WXYZ and WDIV, were happy just as they were, the former in particular led to a deal with owner Scripps that led to another set of dominoes too numerous to list here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just stumbled upon some WSOC changes that take effect May 29, according to zap2it. Tamron swaps with Sherri, so Tamron will be airing at 10am and Sherri at 3pm. Also a double run of Family Feud replaces Dr. Phil at 4. I guess the new episodes of Dr. Phil will end the 26th? But still why dump him now if they are not going to start a 4pm news? I didn’t see any changes for WAXN so presumably they keep their 10am Dr. Phil airing which would become same-day I guess. This would make more sense if Dr. Phil was going off the air completely but apparently he’s staying on WAXN? And i don’t get them switching Tamron and Sherri.  Oh and Charlotte would join the markets airing Feud 6 times a day, twice on WSOC and four times on WAXN.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Judge Mathis, Dr. Phil, and Rachel Ray ended their long runs last week. Not sure when the People's Court has its finale. In other news, Judge Mathis and the People's Court reruns will live on the Nosey app, famous for Springer, Maury, and Wilkos reruns.

21 minutes ago, WheelWarrior said:

In NYC, Big Bang Theory is moving from WNYW/WWOR to WPIX starting 9/4. Saw a promo for it on the latter this afternoon.

Nexstar/Mission must have picked it up from FTS. I bet it might stay on WJZY/WMYT then.

I could see it moving to WYCW in Greenville/Spartanburg. 

So with Rachael Ray leaving, what is the likelihood of WABC and WPVI moving GH back to 2:00 and either adding a 3:00 newscast, or adding a 10:00 AM newscast with Tamron Hall moving to 2:00 or 3:00?

Edited by WheelWarrior
  • Sad 2

• 24994J locked this topic