Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

Has there been any announcement of offnet sitcoms for this fall? Katz's roundup a few years ago incorrectly said "Bob ❤️ Abishola" for the current season, but it will have four seasons by fall. Anything else out there?

2 hours ago, KS-IL-IA said:

Has there been any announcement of offnet sitcoms for this fall? Katz's roundup a few years ago incorrectly said "Bob ❤️ Abishola" for the current season, but it will have four seasons by fall. Anything else out there?

I’ve heard The Conners is expected to but that’s it.

14 hours ago, KS-IL-IA said:

It has 89 episodes so far (the first few seasons were a handful of episodes), which could be enough.

It will have 93 by the end of the season. The first season was only 11 episodes but the second, third and fourth seasons ended up being 20 each. This year it gets 22. If it gets renewed as expected it will have up to 115 by the end of next season. 

2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

It will have 93 by the end of the season. The first season was only 11 episodes but the second, third and fourth seasons ended up being 20 each. This year it gets 22. If it gets renewed as expected it will have up to 115 by the end of next season. 

So these are all the post-Roseanne episodes?  Given her departure, those episodes will probably be permanently separated and likely unseen, unless someone like Fox Nation picks them up.

In the past, shows with fractured histories like Valerie and The Hogan Family have always maintained their continuity as a series, but it looks like the producers are seeking to keep The Conners permanently separated from the reboot and continuation of the old series that spawned it.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

So these are all the post-Roseanne episodes?  Given her departure, those episodes will probably be permanently separated and likely unseen, unless someone like Fox Nation picks them up.

In the past, shows with fractured histories like Valerie and The Hogan Family have always maintained their continuity as a series, but it looks like the producers are seeking to keep The Conners permanently separated from the reboot and continuation of the old series that spawned it.

Yeah I can’t see Roseanne Season 10 being included. It is actually included with the original Roseanne on Peacock and Cozi.

2 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Yeah I can’t see Roseanne Season 10 being included. It is actually included with the original Roseanne on Peacock and Cozi.

It wouldn’t be included in the Conners package anyway, since the reboot season (albeit disjointed from the original’s continuity to a degree, considering Dan being alive whereas the original’s series finale revealed he died and the events of the final season were a story Roseanne was writing for a book, Harris’s in-canon age not aligning with her birth year in the original, etc.) was directly connected to the parent show. The Conners itself being structured as a continuation series/de facto spin-off.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

4 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

albeit disjointed from the original’s continuity to a degree, considering Dan being alive whereas the original’s series finale revealed he died and the events of the final season were a story Roseanne was writing for a book, Harris’s in-canon age not aligning with her birth year in the original, etc.

Which was why the original Roseanne should’ve ended after Season 8. Roseanne also said Jackie was a Lesbian and that Becky and Darlene’s husbands were switched.

5 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Which was why the original Roseanne should’ve ended after Season 8. Roseanne also said Jackie was a Lesbian and that Becky and Darlene’s husbands were switched.

And here we are when REPEATS of syndication are being kept on the air (Judge Judy) and prime time is reboots of old shows from the 80s and 90s. 

It makes the whole "season 9 was all a dream" that Dallas pulled off in the 80s with the death and return of Patrick Duffy that much more plausible these days. 

• Like 4

On 3/6/2023 at 11:37 AM, MediaZone4K said:

I wonder what the next option to fill airtime is: sitcom reruns on big three networks? Reality show reruns? You know they've given up when paid programming  gets day slots ---WXIA!

And talk about a waste of valuable TV real estate space at 11:30 a.m. - today airing an infomercial about a certain supplement from the waters of New Zealand once promoted by the late primetime star of a certain cable network based in Atlanta (hint: it's the one that promised at launch to be on until the world ended)! They could have used the hour either to broadcast a full hour of Atlanta & Company or even an additional hour of news, but they obviously didn't.

All things said, this is pretty much a side effect of the malaise TEGNA stations are having while the Soo Kim takeover remains in waiting. It's also important to note that if Soo Kim actually had the carte blanche to do his actual intentions that he likely is hamstrung from doing under the current FCC, which would have been a full Standard General-TEGNA-Cox merger, WXIA would have been collateral damage anyway because in this scenario Soo is NOT giving up WSB at any cost. Name one person in Atlanta who sees the pretzel logic in Soo acquiring WXIA and/or even WATL...

On 3/16/2023 at 9:35 PM, Action Newsroom said:

Eager to see that reboot, but I'm still waiting for What's My Line? to come back...Pair it with a syndicated offering of To Tell the Truth (30 minutes, not exactly one hour like the ABC reboot) and I'm chipper!

9 minutes ago, SS8609 said:

They could have used the hour either to broadcast a full hour of Atlanta & Company or even an additional hour of news, but they obviously didn't.

Ironically sister station WCNC had Charlotte Today for an hour at 11am then went to an hour of news at 11:30am when COVID hit. Thought it would be just temporary but they have kept it ever since.

I believe WXIA had the same idea when it revived a midday newscast during the COVID pandemic.  But they kept it.

My next question: With Dr. Phil ending his run, might 11 Alive move Jennifer Hudson back to 3 and finally start a 4 PM newscast?

And I remember the days when WBTV aired infomercials at 9 and 9:30 am in the mid 2000s. It seemed they could never find anything decent to replace Donahue at 9am until QC in the Mornng premiered. (Except I think Rachael Ray at one time). They would’ve been better off pulling a WFMY and delaying CBS This Morning/Early Today an hour (I mean this was the station that delayed The Price Is Right by a day for a decade to air Top O’ The Day at 11:30am) and extending their morning news until CBS finally cracked down on affiliates doing that. Of course they had room for Flip My Food and Fix it or Finish it. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

I wonder if Steve Wilkos will be cleared in West Michigan again when the 2023-24 syndication season begins as Wilkos hasn't been cleared in 2 years, which I bet still has WXMI Fox17 on it's website since no one updates it unless it is a big market. 

Meant to post yesterday that WPCH started their checkerboard 8pm lineup last night. That moved Last Man Standing reruns to 11am and 11:30 and Pictionary and Funny You Should Ask were cut down to one run each at 10am and 10:30am. Also Modern Family is now airing at 6:30, Young Sheldon at 7, and then Big Bang Theory at 7:30. It used to be YS, BBT, then MF. Which now I think BBT also airs at 7:30 on WANF. 🤔

Marilyn Milian will also remain on TV thanks to Byron Allen. (Of note: Allen is offering both Mathis and Milian for local stations to use in their newscasts for legal analysis.)

Edited by Georgie56

On 2/21/2023 at 2:12 PM, TexasTVNews said:

I told you Judge Greg Mathis will have a new court show soon. Now if Byron Allen would do the same for Judge Marilyn.

Guess what:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 24994J locked this topic