Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

27 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Not that surprised. The show was just "There" for at least a few years now. It seems almost like a mutual decision on her part. The syndies keep dropping like flies.

18 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Rachael Ray is done.

Wonder if the ABC O&Os in the east will begin a 3pm newscast. 

• Sad 2

I think Wood TV may put a game show on at 2PM or try and get Tamron Hall's talker to fill Rachael Ray timeslot. I know Fox test TMZ Hip-Hop last year in March guesing that isn't going forward Who The Beep Is That sounds good saw a promo on B&C for it I hope it does well. Seems like WJBK the Fox O&O in Detroit never picks up any of the test they try and seems that TV20 or WKBD CW50 air the shows if they go national.

Karamo was just added on WXSP in the grave yard at 5AM M-F replacing the Judge Greg Mathis repeat.  

On 3/3/2023 at 8:24 PM, Georgie56 said:

Rachael Ray is done.

Propecy again fulfilled. Rachael had a good run and a good show, the program kind of just faded to the background in the last few years. 

Now...all eyes on Divorce Court in the next few seaons.

We really new some new blood in daytime, not just more newscasts and not current events discussion shows that regurgitate the pop culture stuff on newscasts.

EDIT: The future of the remaining soaps will be the biggest blow to daytime. CBS heads just fired Y&R's entire breakdown staff --not that they were doing a good job though.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

We really new some new blood in daytime, not just more newscasts and not current events discussion shows that regurgitate the pop culture stuff on newscasts.

And not conflict talkers (Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, et al) and court shows, either. I'd rather have all-day news than those.

5 hours ago, mre29 said:

And not conflict talkers (Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, et al) and court shows, either. I'd rather have all-day news than those.

Hard disagree, we have too many soft interview shows. We need conflict talkers stat. Karamo isn’t it, he went too far off the Maury path that made Maury what it was.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Briella said:

Hard disagree, we have too many soft interview shows. We need conflict talkers stat. Karamo isn’t it, he went too far off the Maury path that made Maury what it was.

Back in the day there was a saturation of conflict talkers: Montel, Sally Jessie, Donahue, and extreme shows like Richard Bey, and Jerry.  Now we have a saturation of soft talk shows: Sherri, J Hud, Kelly & Ryan. Now we need a healthy balance. Tamron Hall has the middle ground feel that Oprah used to have. 

The catch is, EVERY tv show tackles social issues, so yet another show having "hard conversations" might be exhausting. Any hard discussion talk shows need to have honest wide ranging opinions not just cookie cutter PC/right vs left stuff that you get on The Talk or The View.

I would say we need more local talk shows but 8 hour Fox/CW morning news blocks past 8am are basically just that. 

I wonder what the next option to fill airtime is: sitcom reruns on big three networks? Reality show reruns? You know they've given up when paid programming  gets day slots ---WXIA!

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 3

With all of the mega-groups and their "locally produced content", I'm surprised no one group or set of groups has tried the "Evening/PM Magazine" approach to create shows around regional or sharable content, suited to a particular market or region, yet marketable as a single brand. 

Now that the tide has turned on syndication, it seems like the next way for stations to make their mark on both fronts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Back in the day there was a saturation of conflict talkers: Montel, Sally Jessie, Donahue, and extreme shows like Richard Bey, and Jerry.  Now we have a saturation of soft talk shows: Sherri, J Hud, Kelly & Ryan. Now we need a healthy balance. Tamron Hall has the middle ground feel that Oprah used to have. 

The catch is, EVERY tv show tackles social issues, so yet another show having "hard conversations" might be exhausting. Any hard discussion talk shows need to have honest wide ranging opinions not just cookie cutter PC/right vs left stuff that you get on The Talk or The View.

I would say we need more local talk shows but 8 hour Fox/CW morning news blocks past 8am are basically just that. 

I wonder what the next option to fill airtime is: sitcom reruns on big three networks? Reality show reruns? You know they've given up when paid programming  gets day slots ---WXIA!

Didn’t they have an 11:30am newscast? 

And they could do a whole lot worse than sitcom reruns. Especially since not all have made it to syndication (Superstore comes to mind).

Edited by Nelson R.

On 3/5/2023 at 11:24 AM, MediaZone4K said:

EDIT: The future of the remaining soaps will be the biggest blow to daytime. CBS heads just fired Y&R's entire breakdown staff --not that they were doing a good job though.

According to reports, it wasn’t CBS executives that fired Y&R’s breakdown writing staff, it was head writer Josh Griffith, who recently replaced Anthony Morina as executive producer/showrunner… and on top of that, he’s taking over the five-person breakdown staff’s duties (even though some of those duties could’ve been split between both him and the show’s associate head writer, Amanda Beall).

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

According to reports, it wasn’t CBS executives that fired Y&R’s breakdown writing staff, it was head writer Josh Griffith, who recently replaced Anthony Morina as executive producer/showrunner… and on top of that, he’s taking over the five-person breakdown staff’s duties (even though some of those duties could’ve been split between him and the show’s associate head writer Amanda Beall, in that regard).

Correction noted. Now I'm seeing that. At first there was some conflicting accounts as to wether this was Griffith's or CBS' move.

Despite the cost angle I'm surprised CBS would allow this for their longtime #1 soap. I guess the network feels Y&R is indestructable? It's stayed ontop with piss poor writing for this long. 

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

Didn’t they have an 11:30am newscast? 

And they could do a whole lot worse than sitcom reruns. Especially since not all have made it to syndication (Superstore comes to mind).

Not anymore. WXIA has local lifestyle show Atl & Co at 11 am, paid programming at 11:30, then news from 12-1. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MediaZone4K said:

Not anymore. WXIA has local lifestyle show Atl & Co at 11 am, paid programming at 11:30, then news from 12-1. 

I guess Atlanta and Company isn’t a pay for play then.

6 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Did you do your research before you wrote this post? Because Donahue, Sally and Montel were not "conflict" talk shows. Neither were Maury or Springer when they first launched. It wasn't until Jerry took the deep dive into that (obviously scripted) abyss did the sub-genre emerge from the topical talkers. Of course, Richard Bey set the bar pretty low on that.

In modern times the closest we'll get to a current events-focused topical talk show (ala Phil and Sally in their heyday) are the first couple of segments of a panel show before they bring out the entertainment guests.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

Did you do your research before you wrote this post? Because Donahue, Sally and Montel were not "conflict" talk shows. Neither were Maury or Springer when they first launched. It wasn't until Jerry took the deep dive into that (obviously scripted) abyss did the sub-genre emerge from the topical talkers. Of course, Richard Bey set the bar pretty low on that.

In modern times the closest we'll get to a current events-focused topical talk show (ala Phil and Sally in their heyday) are the first couple of segments of a panel show before they bring out the entertainment guests.

Yes I did. 

We're differing in our definition of "conflict talk".  I should have used a different term --tabloid perhaps--- as the poster used "conflict" to describe what Maury later became. 

When I say "conflict talk" I'm referring to tackling topical/tabloid issues which is exactly what Sally, Donahue and Montel did. Plus, certain Maury conflict/tabloid segments like out of control teens were were also on Montel and Sally.

As for what I called extreme talk, yes Jerry drifted from his OG format to the Richard Bey route by the late 90s early 00s.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

New local talkshow "Talk Pittsburgh" will take dr. Phil's 3pm timeslot starting march 20th.  Dr. Phil will finish his run on kdka's sister station wpcw at 5pm replacing the also cancelled people's court.

Also, a few hours ago i noticed a new 11.4 on wpxi's signal.  Currently its the PCNC (Pittsburgh Cable News Channel) aka PiCNiC channel.

Edited by Superdude

Not surprised that Judy Justice is going into syndication this fall or 2024 WZZM would pick it up since they have aired Judge Judy forever. I'm not surprised that TV station groups want barter time for Judge Greg Mathis & The Peoples Court and don't want to pay for repeats.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:20 AM, Georgie56 said:

Does this mean Dr. Phil is no longer in production with new shows?  It seems odd that the show wouldn't even finish out the season with new shows through May.  KDKA is wasting no time with a replacement.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnothy said:

Does this mean Dr. Phil is no longer in production with new shows?  It seems odd that the show wouldn't even finish out the season with new shows through May.  KDKA is wasting no time with a replacement.

The current season is the last with new episodes, and is still in production. Like Judge Judy, though, CBSMV will continue to circulate reruns of it in syndication.

On 3/15/2023 at 1:13 PM, johnothy said:

It's replacing a couple of Family Feud episodes on WPCW; probably more that the station would rather have local control than waste yet another hour about exaggerated 'horrible teens on TikTok'.

• Like 1

• 24994J locked this topic