Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

14 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I like Judge Mathis but not the biggest fan of Byron's shows. Are all they fake cases?

Very Fake - Actors from LA. Unlike the traditional court shows, producers don't look through small claim cases in different cities. 

• Like 4

Mathis Court....do they only take cases that involve Johnny Mathis?   

Basically, any of these daytime court shows that come out of Entertainment Studios are very low-budget in appearance, even down to the courtroom "set" that looks like the walls are cheap doors they purchased at Home Depot on the cheap.

Case in point, the backdrop for Justice with Judge Mablean...

Screenshot_20230222-011228_YouTube.jpg

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Screenshot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Sounds like a waste of Mathis's talents. He sounds great with the real cases.

Yep. Sad state of affairs. I guess I'll stick to Judy Justice after Mathis is done with WMD

Edited by Yankees4life
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Prophecy Fulfilled😒 Could Byron not just do real cases? 

His writers must be cheap af. But you'd think it'd be cheaper to...idk....not pay both writers and actors and just do real cases.  I'll even forgive him cheaply using the same set. 

He seems to keep that same energy with his TV stations and everything else. For him to have all that money...... well, that's why he has all that money. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

His writers must be cheap af. But you'd think it'd be cheaper to...idk....not pay both writers and actors and just do real cases.  I'll even forgive him cheaply using the same set. 

He seems to keep that same energy with his TV stations and everything else. For him to have all that money...... well, that's why he has all that money. 

He reminds me of Tyler Perry. Billionaire status, alot of resources and money, but still insists on putting out a cheap product (OWN soap operas and quickly produced movies).

Allen's court shows damage the genere furthering the notion that ALL daytime judge programs are fake. 

Even the logo for Allen's production company gives off that low budget vibe.

image.thumb.jpeg.265f804b3a8c40bd5a138eee61ea1b05.jpeg

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 4

I think what the PR doesn't say is (or the trades) is whether the show will remain in Chicago at NBC Tower or not, or moving shooting somewhere else like WCIU (Weigel's non-subfarm stations have carried him through his entire run and they probably pushed for Byron to get him in exchange for bulk renewals). If it is that, and they continue to pursue regular cases (the Judge Mathis case submission page is still live), then maybe Byron is giving the show a budget? Or at least letting Chicago TV actors do something besides slumming it in the One Chicagoverse?

8 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Are the scripts at least based on real court  transcripts like the original divorce court, the judge and superior court were bavk in the day?  I could see it being more economical using actors as opposed to flying people in from all over.  Not my cup of tea for sure.

15 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I think what the PR doesn't say is (or the trades) is whether the show will remain in Chicago at NBC Tower or not, or moving shooting somewhere else like WCIU (Weigel's non-subfarm stations have carried him through his entire run and they probably pushed for Byron to get him in exchange for bulk renewals). If it is that, and they continue to pursue regular cases (the Judge Mathis case submission page is still live), then maybe Byron is giving the show a budget? Or at least letting Chicago TV actors do something besides slumming it in the One Chicagoverse?

I wonder if Judge Mathis the original is still taping and that is why the case submission page is still up?

On 2/7/2023 at 9:23 AM, BluesNews said:

That is odd considering the suggested airing for affiliates airing both shows is Wheel first and Jeopardy! second and not the other way around.

Random specials or infomercials means the station is trying to use that prime slot to make extra cash.

It is the same thing in Houston with KPRC on Saturdays at 6:30 PM, where unless Notre Dame or another NBC Sports property had an event going on, they would default to airing an infomercial advertising auto insurance from AAA or a real estate presentation show hosted by former KHOU anchor Lily Jang.

As for Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, I'd be open to the shows utilizing a checkerboard pattern where one market airs Jeopardy! first and another adjacent market airs Wheel of Fortune first, one example being that WABC would air J! followed by Wheel as they do now while WPVI would do the reverse instead of following WABC. However, I do not expect this to happen without significant blowback, especially considering WPVI historically took the mantra of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" very seriously (as in continuing to use hand-drawn weather maps well after home computers became quite the necessity) when it came to Action News.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Mathis will likely move to CA with the rest of the Allen-produced court shows. It wouldn't make much financial sense to remain in Chicago unless they can make some sort of deal with the owners of the NBC Tower. Pretty sure they would hate to lose Judge Mathis as it would be an end of a era.

I could see him pushing for having real court cases as he's better at feeding off real people. That's my hope at least.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, iron_lion said:

He reminds me of Tyler Perry. Billionaire status, alot of resources and money, but still insists on putting out a cheap product (OWN soap operas and quickly produced movies).

Allen's court shows damage the genere furthering the notion that ALL daytime judge programs are fake. 

Even the logo for Allen's production company gives off that low budget vibe.

image.thumb.jpeg.265f804b3a8c40bd5a138eee61ea1b05.jpeg

They’ve actually begun phasing out the Entertainment Studios name and vanity card on Allen’s programs, in favor of the Allen Media Group brand. I noticed this on a recent episode of Funny You Should Ask (which resumed airing new episodes after a three-year, likely pandemic-caused production hiatus last Fall).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

New from the Fox First Run Test Lab: Who The Bleep Is That?, from TMZ. Four-week run in twelve markets starting Monday.

The "three and a half" Nexstar stations in Shreveport (counting KPXJ, since it's affiliated with the CW, although they're not legally or otherwise affiliated with Nexstar in any way, don't come for me 😂) definitely have room for this if it goes forward. 

Same with KCWX and "CW35". 

10 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

New from the Fox First Run Test Lab: Who The Bleep Is That?, from TMZ. Four-week run in twelve markets starting Monday.

Forgive me for supposedly being the most delusional person on this site, but I’ve just got to pitch Pointless as a test run idea. I would recommend leaving it an hour long, and syndicating it for Daytime, as I personally think putting it in prime time will cause the network to Butcher it up causing anyone who’s seen the OG UK version to think Our version is awful. I, as an American, have seen so many US renditions of international counterparts get Butchered up to a point where American people don’t seem to care any more. It is my opinion that the butchering is usually to attract an audience that doesn’t care about having an education at all. This hurts me to my core and I find it appalling that for people of the UK Pointless mentality, Jeopardy!, The Chase, and GSN’s Master Minds, are the only options. I’m also appalled by how abc did Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (2020 version) with Jimmy Kimmel dirty by putting its second cycle, or rather most of it against Sunday Night Football on NBC. It really hurts that the audience they built for this version will never be filled because of how Arrogant abc was back then. Millionaire Must Return also.

• Like 1

• 24994J locked this topic