Syndicated News for the 2022-23 TV Season

H-Town TV Fan

4 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Literally said they were the last holdouts weeks ago.

You did!

The more I think about it, there’s no way WB won’t offer a rerun package of both for at least next season, right?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

You did!

The more I think about it, there’s no way WB won’t offer a rerun package of both for at least next season, right?

I suspect we'll be hearing about Rachael Ray's show any day now. I question the futures of GH & Y&R after their anniversaries pass. The Talk has been renewed though😒.

Ryan Seacrest, Dr Phil, Judges Milian and Mathis, James Corden, maybe Rachael Ray, what next? Hopefully the aforementioned court shows remain in syndication.

Edited by iron_lion

With Dr. Phil, The People's Court and Judge Mathis ending this season, that pretty much blows out WALA's remaining daytime schedule. 

They do news from 4:30-9am, Studio 10 from 9-11am and an hourlong Midday newscast at 11am.

Judge Mathis runs twice at noon and 1pm, People's Court runs at 2, and Dr. Phil runs at 3.

Followed by news from 4-6pm as well as a 9pm and half-hour 10pm show.

Aside from Wheel/Jeopardy, FOX primetime, and some off-net sitcoms after 10:30, that's all that's left outside of local programming.

Many other stations could be in the same boat and could possibly KVVU-ize their news output.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Glimmer said:

This surprises me. Both shows are cheap to produce and have loyal audiences. I like Mathis's calmness and humor, and Judge Milian has always been great. Maybe Freevee can pick them up for new court shows. What's interesting is Judge Mathis and the People's Court have other production companies involved, which makes me wonder if they could find another partner to continue the shows.

I feel like my childhood is slowly dying TV wise with all the cancellations of syndicated shows these past few years.

• Like 3

Judge Mathis will live on in canned lawyer commercials.  He used to do ones for Morris Bart.

Even Judge Joe Brown is part of an agency's rotation of celebrity endorsement of local law firms alongside William Shatner, Eric Pierpoint, and the late Robert Vaughn.

The same agency often uses "you mean business" and has a dramatization of a legal situation that ends in

"Who are the lawyers on this case"  

(insert law firm here)

(surprised reaction)

"Let's settle this one"

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Judge Mathis will live on in canned lawyer commercials.  He used to do ones for Morris Bart.

Even Judge Joe Brown is part of an agency's rotation of celebrity endorsement of local law firms alongside William Shatner, Eric Pierpoint, and the late Robert Vaughn.

The same agency often uses "you mean business" and has a dramatization of a legal situation that ends in

(insert law firm here)

(surprised reaction)

"Let's settle this one"

I think Judge Alex does some of those ads too.

5 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Judges Milian and Mathis will probably have new court shows in the near future... maybe in 2024.

Oh, I agree. But they’ll probably do a show on an OTT like Judge Judy (“Judy Justice”) now does for Freevee.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I see WXIA Atlanta just swapped Dr Phil and Jennifer Hudson's timeslots, making her the lead in to the 5:00 News.

WSOC needs to do the same for Tamron and Dr. Phil..unless they are actually planning a 4:00 news next year

18 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

(insert law firm here)

(surprised reaction)

"Let's settle this one"

I love to play the game of 'which law firm's line is so obviously dubbed in three years later' with those ads. It's always so awkward. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bet Mathis and Millian will both return as TV judges somewhere OTT., and possibly also appear as legal analysts on TV somewhere. They're too popular and too young to retire from broadcasting for too long.

Another thought I had is since Harvey Levin is part of the People's Court, could Harvey find a way to have FOX take over rights for the show from WB just like he did for everything related to TMZ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Another thought I had is since Harvey Levin is part of the People's Court, could Harvey find a way to have FOX take over rights for the show from WB just like he did for everything related to TMZ?

It's possible as Ralph Edwards/Stu Billett Productions is still independent of any studio, so it could be done and easily be rescued by Fox First Run (and they'd be happy to move it to Georgia for tax purposes like DC is).

But all I keep thinking with all these syndication departures is the inevitably of K-LOVE moving into television the same way they did with commercial radio, or TCT/3ABN getting even more stations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

It's possible as Ralph Edwards/Stu Billett Productions is still independent of any studio, so it could be done and easily be rescued by Fox First Run (and they'd be happy to move it to Georgia for tax purposes like DC is).

But all I keep thinking with all these syndication departures is the inevitably of K-LOVE moving into television the same way they did with commercial radio, or TCT/3ABN getting even more stations.

I'm sure moving The People's Court would be great for Marilyn as it's slightly closer to Miami.

As stated before, both Mathis and People's Court had other studios coproducing with Telepictures/WBTV. It's no different than one network or streaming service cancelling a show and another one picking it up.

While syndication has had so many shakeups over the past few years, I don't think it's done yet as talk shows have been renewed, the most popular game shows will be on for a few more years, and sitcoms and dramas are still airing in reruns. I expected those to go first as they're available for on-demand viewing on streaming.

• Like 1

If both The Peoples Court & Judge Mathis remain in repeats I think WXSP will keep it as is on in the afternoon. I see Steve Wilkos being cleared in West Michigan as it hasn't been cleared since fall of 2021 and Karomo if NBCU renews it, which I'm kinda surprised that neither talker is cleared for syndication in West Michigan.

On 2/19/2023 at 5:46 PM, KS-IL-IA said:

Did Byron Allen's ears perk up?

Allen Media To Launch ‘Mathis Court With Judge Mathis’

Allen Media Group today announced a firm go for the production and launch of its 72nd series Mathis Court with Judge Mathis. The new court show is a daily one-hour strip for fall 2023, available to TV stations, as well as global network, cable and digital distribution platforms.

• Haha 4
  • Thought-Provoking 1

• 24994J locked this topic